What would be your opinion on having a National Strike?

Off-topic: aren't you the dude that used to post about the moon-landings being a hoax?

I was thinking about posting a topic along those lines (not that I think it never happened, but more a discussion of why we don't go back and if the stated reasons for not going back are valid).

It would be great if done correctly but two things would blow it's effect.

1. There would still be people who would buy gas anyway

2. Some people would buy twice as much the day before or the day after. To make it truly work, there would have to be much planning but it would send a **** of a message to tell those stations to drink that gas for all we care.

Only permanent behavior changes will affect high prices. I personally hope gas goes to $10.00 a gallon to put alternative energy research on the fast track. The fossil fuel industry is extremely skilled at knowing where the pain threshold exists and how long they can stay there before pulling back with ungodly profits. The oil industry also understands the consequences that would come with long term high gas prices.

If Ford announced tommorrow that they were close to developing a car that could run on water, the price of gasoline would drop to 50 cent a gallon to make buying one of these cars more unattractive. Why would anyone want to give up their large spacious guzzler for a smaller, less powerful alternative when gas is so cheap?

Big oil`s day is coming, at some point solar and wind energy will be cheaper to produce than fossil. When Fusion Reactors become a reality the world will change in a way that it has never seen in its history because its fuel source would be the deuterium in sea water. There is 0 chance of a catastrophic accident with fusion reactors, and once you turn one off their is no radiation.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to rant.

I heard the idea the other day. It could be something as simple as everyone refusing to buy gas on a particular day, or everyone refusing to pay their credit card bill or mortgage on a particular month.

What is your opinion on something like this?

What's the point?

Did we suddenly become French instead of American while I was sleeping?

If you own a car, or take a cab or bus for transportation, you made the conscious decision that you will need gasoline/fuel to get you where you need/want to go.

If you made the personal choice to apply for a credit card and then made the choice to use it for a purchase, you take on the personal responsibility to pay the bill when it is due.

If you made the personal choice to purchase a home vs. renting, and a financial institution loaned you the money to buy the home, you take on the personal responsibility to make mortgage payments, pay for homeowners insurance and taxes.

This thread may be a candidate for 'Thread Hall of Fame'.

blue-screen-of-death.jpg

What's the point?

Did we suddenly become French instead of American while I was sleeping?

If you own a car, or take a cab or bus for transportation, you made the conscious decision that you will need gasoline/fuel to get you where you need/want to go.

If you made the personal choice to apply for a credit card and then made the choice to use it for a purchase, you take on the personal responsibility to pay the bill when it is due.

If you made the personal choice to purchase a home vs. renting, and a financial institution loaned you the money to buy the home, you take on the personal responsibility to make mortgage payments, pay for homeowners insurance and taxes.

This thread may be a candidate for 'Thread Hall of Fame'.

blue-screen-of-death.jpg

couls someone please explain this " personal responsibility" concept to the banks and automakers who got the billions in bailouts? Because that would be cool.

Only permanent behavior changes will affect high prices. I personally hope gas goes to $10.00 a gallon to put alternative energy research on the fast track. The fossil fuel industry is extremely skilled at knowing where the pain threshold exists and how long they can stay there before pulling back with ungodly profits. The oil industry also understands the consequences that would come with long term high gas prices.

If Ford announced tommorrow that they were close to developing a car that could run on water, the price of gasoline would drop to 50 cent a gallon to make buying one of these cars more unattractive. Why would anyone want to give up their large spacious guzzler for a smaller, less powerful alternative when gas is so cheap?

Big oil`s day is coming, at some point solar and wind energy will be cheaper to produce than fossil. When Fusion Reactors become a reality the world will change in a way that it has never seen in its history because its fuel source would be the deuterium in sea water. There is 0 chance of a catastrophic accident with fusion reactors, and once you turn one off their is no radiation.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to rant.

you just need to keep looking. other lesser known companies are becoming the front runner of these alternative energy cars. check out tesla Motors. they have a plan to come out with a 30k eletric car by 2015 and a SUV by the end of the year. they already have a roadster and are just coming out with a 40-50k luxury sedan this year. they are also partnered with toyota, and toyota has put their battery technology in their future eletric rav4.

you just need to keep looking. other lesser known companies are becoming the front runner of these alternative energy cars. check out tesla Motors. they have a plan to come out with a 30k eletric car by 2015 and a SUV by the end of the year. they already have a roadster and are just coming out with a 40-50k luxury sedan this year. they are also partnered with toyota, and toyota has put their battery technology in their future eletric rav4.

If the Obama Admistration really wanted to to jump start the economy and help the environment at the same time it would combine tax incentives and subsidies to encourage Americans to buy these cars. Like I said earlier, all big oil will do at that point will is cut the price of oil to the point where noone would want the hybrids.

If the Obama Admistration really wanted to to jump start the economy and help the environment at the same time it would combine tax incentives and subsidies to encourage Americans to buy these cars. Like I said earlier, all big oil will do at that point will is cut the price of oil to the point where noone would want the hybrids.

they do have tax incentives to buy the car. you get a 7K+ tax credit for buying the car. its just that it is still very expensive. i believe with the tax credit the car is still in the 40-50k range. also the US Dept of Energy in 09 loaned them 465million dollars. i agree with you that they need to do more, but our government seems to be on the right track. i still think we are a few years away from seeing it being adopted more. once they come out with an SUV model and a 20-30k model, people will be more willing to buy their cars. once we get full eletric accords and camrys we will probably see more adoption.

also you gotta understand that electrics have a short travel distance. right now they can get usually 200-300 miles off one charge and unless you live in certain parts of california, many states dont have electric charging stations.

well, the problem is people are believing the BS that it takes so much R & D to build a high milage gasoline engine. Growing up in the 60's and 70's I remember my friends mom owning several Toyotas that got 50 MPG and my own 1969 VW still gets 30 MPG+ easy at 42 years old. and since it's made of solid steel, probably weighs more than these plastic SUV's that brag about 21 MPG.

They are BSing you and could easily be putting out gasoline engines that get 50+, but the question is why don't they?