Do Falcons players have 'heart'?

Mr. Right

I have a very simple question. Who on the Falcons has heart? Or let me rephrase that. Who is there to make a paycheck and who is there to play the game?

Although on defense it is harder to tell, on offense I will be very straightforward in saying Roddy White has heart. Michael Jenkins and Michael Turner don't and for this reason, they need to find a new home next year.

In scouting, coaches always look for players that can do the job and do the job well. The Atlanta Falcons most definitely have 53 players that can do their jobs or otherwise we would not have ended on a 13-3 record. Yet, the Falcons have failed to understand that players that only do their jobs well do not win championships.

It may be because Mike Smith is a defensive minded coach, and on defense, you actually need players that do their job and nothing more. You can't try to do too much on defense or you may lose your assignment. But on offense, it is completely different, especially for the skilled positions. The players that help teams win are those that not only do their job, but LOOK TO GO ABOVE AND BEYOND. These are the players like Marion Barber, who will always fight for that extra yard. Or Hines Ward, or Anquan Boldin, or LaDanian Tomlinson. You can be a me player and have heart like Terrell Owens. Or you can be a team player that has heart like Wes Welker. Regardless of ego, winners win because they want to win. The Falcons don't have enough of these 'winners.'

During this offseason, the Falcons front office really needs to take a look at who is here to win, and who is here just to take a piece of Arthur's pie. Who is not afraid to risk injury to gain the extra yard. Because come playoff time, the paychecks are replaced by measly bonuses that are not big enough to motivate someone who does not care about winning.

Think about this. You are the CEO of a company looking to move up the industry ladder, and you have two employees. One does his job perfectly, comes in to work at exactly 8 and leaves at exactly 5. The other also comes in at 8 and leaves at 5 and does his job perfectly. However, he also asks to take on extra projects so the company can advance. Who is going to help you succeed? Both employees are excellent workers but only one has the heart and desire to take the company to the next level.

The Seahawks likely would have lost had Marshawn Lynch not made that run. The Saints had momentum on their side but the Seahawks had a bigger heart.

For more information on the difference between playoffs and regular season: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/12/22/takes/

Edited by Mr. Right

How did those "winners" work out for Singletary.. Just cause you have players with heart doesn't mean that they will win a championship.. Now it is nice to have a team full of passionate players. But at the end of the day it is still a job. But the incentive for the playoffs isn't just money it is that big shiny trophy that you get when you win the last game and that ring.. And that is a fire that most players carry.

How did those "winners" work out for Singletary.. Just cause you have players with heart doesn't mean that they will win a championship.. Now it is nice to have a team full of passionate players. But at the end of the day it is still a job. But the incentive for the playoffs isn't just money it is that big shiny trophy that you get when you win the last game and that ring.. And that is a fire that most players carry.

What I am saying is the Falcons have a bunch of players who do their jobs and that's it. We need players who not only do their jobs, but also go the extra mile.

http://sportsillustr...er/12/22/takes/

If like you said, at the end of the day it's only a job, then we will never win a championship because the 'day' ends in week 17.

Edited by Mr. Right

What I am saying is the Falcons have a bunch of players who do their jobs and that's it. We need players who not only do their jobs, but also go the extra mile.

http://sportsillustr...er/12/22/takes/

If like you said, at the end of the day it's only a job, then we will never win a championship because the 'day' ends in week 17.

You're absolutely right I forgot as soon as week 17 ends the players that just treat it as a job go home sit on the couch and eat pork rinds whether they are in the playoffs or not. They just don't care anymore.. That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Haven't you ever realized how many guys get pay raises by other teams when they were on a SB team just because they were a part. They don't even have to be good. Winning a SB isn't just nice because you get a ring but it is good financially.

You're absolutely right I forgot as soon as week 17 ends the players that just treat it as a job go home sit on the couch and eat pork rinds whether they are in the playoffs or not. They just don't care anymore.. That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Haven't you ever realized how many guys get pay raises by other teams when they were on a SB team just because they were a part. They don't even have to be good. Winning a SB isn't just nice because you get a ring but it is good financially.

Link?

"Sanchez would only make 10.6 percent of what he would normally make for four regular-season weeks versus the playoff weeks. If the Packers win the Super Bowl, Aaron Rodgers would only get paid 7.9 percent of what he would normally make for four regular-season weeks versus the playoff weeks."

First of all read the whole thing. 2nd they are still making more money than they would be in another sport. 3rd winning the SB is the best marketing that you can get especially if you are a FA.. Look at Bryant McFadden he won a SB with the Steelers and signed a nice contract with ARI that he wouldn't have gotten cause he wasn't worth that money.. It has happened other time just as coaches on a SB winning staff become a hot commodity so do players. Don't kid yourself just because they don't make millions of dollars for the post season games if they make it there they still want to win.

Edited by tddf30