Help me understand something...

ol'_dirty2

Aren't Roddy and Jenkins fast guys? They're in the 4.4 range right? (And yes, I'm really asking because I'm not sure) If they are...and we know Harry is fast...is it that we need another fast guy or that the playcalling needs to aim more downfield. Thoughts anyone?

I would like a speedy WR that can be physical off of the line or shifty enough to beat the line clean. Jenkins takes a minute to get to 60 and Douglas has a hard time getting going if he doesn't get a clean release.

As much as I don't like the player i'd love to have a Deshawn Jackson on our team.

Aren't Roddy and Jenkins fast guys? They're in the 4.4 range right? (And yes, I'm really asking because I'm not sure) If they are...and we know Harry is fast...is it that we need another fast guy or that the playcalling needs to aim more downfield. Thoughts anyone?

Jenkins is our fastest receiver, he just doesn't have that elite all-around speed (lateral and straight line) not to mention he isn't a very good route runner. Roddy is as good as he is because the man can sell a route. He's got some speed to him but he again doesn't have that elite mobility, not that he isn't a great receiver despite that. We don't necessarily need a Desean Jackson or Percy Harvin, we just need more receivers other than White who can get consistent separation. QBs aren't going to throw at a guy if he looks blanketed unless you just know he'll get the ball, which is what made/makes Fitzgerald so good.

I think when most members on the board mentions "Speed WR", I believe they mean someone who can get the down field quickly, makes catches, AND get yards after the catch (YAC).

There's no doubt that Roddy and Jenkins are fast. However, you have two problems:

1. Roddy has proven to be an All-Pro receiver. With that comes defenses scheming against you (double-teams, brackets, etc)

2. Even if Jenkins can get down the field quickly, his lack of aggressiveness towards the ball cancels out his speed.

HD is coming off a serious injury, so who knows if he'll be back at the same pace he was is rookie season, or if better at that. I think that a person who has the athletic ability to get open quickly and make a play after the catch is what most members might be referring to (a la DeSean Jackson).

Lol I will take this..

Everyone is annoyed that we don't have an offense that is like the Saints, some of them want deep balls all the time..

Personally I want a RB that can catch the **** ball.. that will help our offense a lot more... look at Bush in NO without him you can take away specific routes (deep), with him you have to watch him because he can catch it out of the backfield and make guys miss...

A fast elusive RB that can catch would propel this offense more than a fast Wr

In saying that I want the TE and a WR upgraded but not as much as I want a RB

Lol I will take this..

Everyone is annoyed that we don't have an offense that is like the Saints, some of them want deep balls all the time..

Personally I want a RB that can catch the **** ball.. that will help our offense a lot more... look at Bush in NO without him you can take away specific routes (deep), with him you have to watch him because he can catch it out of the backfield and make guys miss...

A fast elusive RB that can catch would propel this offense more than a fast Wr

In saying that I want the TE and a WR upgraded but not as much as I want a RB

You'll find that very few people want an offense like the Saints, most of them just want our skill positions to be upgraded and I don't think only going after one area would help this team. They've got to get better at all three of those positions.

Okay...thanks guys. I was thinking people were asking just for pure straight line speed. I agree that what we really need is someone who's fast enough but aggressive and can CONSISTENTLY get separation. Jenkins definitely helped the offense when he got back into action, but by no means strikes fear into any DC's heart I'm sure. At TE we need a good pass receiver who's got some good speed (like Olsen) and we definitely need a Norwood type back (or him if he could stay healthy) to exploit mismatches on LB's as well. I personally think our playcalling is a result of what our guys can/can't do on the field.

However, it does seem that our receivers run down the field like kickoff coverage units most of the time. Everyone in their own lane...don't understand this. We need to get more complex with our route combinations.

Jenkins is our fastest receiver, he just doesn't have that elite all-around speed (lateral and straight line) not to mention he isn't a very good route runner. Roddy is as good as he is because the man can sell a route. He's got some speed to him but he again doesn't have that elite mobility, not that he isn't a great receiver despite that. We don't necessarily need a Desean Jackson or Percy Harvin, we just need more receivers other than White who can get consistent separation. QBs aren't going to throw at a guy if he looks blanketed unless you just know he'll get the ball, which is what made/makes Fitzgerald so good.

jenkins is our fastest wr? ummm i don t think so. jenkins ran a 4.5+ 40 at the combine that is why he was dubbed a possession wr. douglas would be the fastest wr we have since roddy is getting older.

You are correct. Technically Harry ran 4.51 at the combine so he is more quick that fast. Jenkins ran 4.3 at his pro day and Roddy was about a 4.43 guy.

I honestly think they don't call deep passes. We just don't run those type of routes. Jenkins being a long strider may not be the quickest guy to gain the initial separation but I just don't see our guys going deep often. Just like some QB's are great deep ball throwers, some WR's are great deep threats despite having or not having great speed in the 40.

jenkins is our fastest wr? ummm i don t think so. jenkins ran a 4.5+ 40 at the combine that is why he was dubbed a possession wr. douglas would be the fastest wr we have since roddy is getting older.

Actually, Douglas is probably the slowest out of the three in straight line speed. Do you not notice that a majority of our deep, straight line passes are to Jenkins? And Jenkins didn't run at the combine, he had a hurt groin. His clocked time was between a 4.40 and a 4.46 at his Pro day.

I think everyone wants what Harry Douglas was supposed to be. The best way to explain it is our offense needs more Steve Smith than Heyward-Bey.

We need a guy that can get open in any condition and been shifty enough to gain yards after the catch. Jenkins and Roddy have both shown that they can catch the deep ball when need be, but we don't have the guy that can catch those checkdowns Ryan throws so often and turn it into something big.

If we can't pressure the QB... yes

Only very good QB's make the playoffs you have to be able to pressure these guys...

If not they will tear you apart

Coincidentally, Rex Ryan said the way he decided to play Peyton Manning and Tom Brady was a more passive approach. I think Mike Smith has the right idea with being a well-balanced team. We just have to take it a step further.

We're balanced in that we gave up the 5th fewest points in the league and scored the 5th most. We're balanced in the way that we can both run and pass the ball. However, we have to be more diverse in the way we gameplan.

This team is entirely built to be a ball-control offense that keeps their own defense off the field and to play with the lead. We struggle when we fall behind because of the lack of "explosion" that Dimitroff was talking about. The ball control philosophy has gotten us to this stage and we're all thankful for it. Now it's time that we bring in the players that allow us to be in any game, at any time. We have a great core built for a ball-control philosophy, but when we're out of our element, games like Green Bay can happen.

When we bring in the explosive players, we'll be more diverse in the way we can attack. We need to be able to play passive and we need to be able to be aggressive. Right now, we're set up to be passive. We have to find some explosion, that's all there is to it.

Coincidentally, Rex Ryan said the way he decided to play Peyton Manning and Tom Brady was a more passive approach. I think Mike Smith has the right idea with being a well-balanced team. We just have to take it a step further.

We're balanced in that we gave up the 5th fewest points in the league and scored the 5th most. We're balanced in the way that we can both run and pass the ball. However, we have to be more diverse in the way we gameplan.

This team is entirely built to be a ball-control offense that keeps their own defense off the field and to play with the lead. We struggle when we fall behind because of the lack of "explosion" that Dimitroff was talking about. The ball control philosophy has gotten us to this stage and we're all thankful for it. Now it's time that we bring in the players that allow us to be in any game, at any time. We have a great core built for a ball-control philosophy, but when we're out of our element, games like Green Bay can happen.

When we bring in the explosive players, we'll be more diverse in the way we can attack. We need to be able to play passive and we need to be able to be aggressive. Right now, we're set up to be passive. We have to find some explosion, that's all there is to it.

I can agree with all of this because as someone said about the Packers

They can play you in any style of football you want...

Saying that they have a good Defense we desperatley need a Pass Rushing DE and as one poster said we need that in FA because I don't wanna develop anyone..

But have an explosive offense only and we will fail... See Saints

If you can score on anyone at anytime doesn't make a difference if a team doesn't have to Punt against you.

My team needs for this off-season

!. Pass Rushing DE

2. RB that can catch that can eventually overtake Turner (would be more valuble to the offense than a WR)

3. TE Tony may not be here next year and we need that option.

4. WR we need more weapons (but I think HD will be better next year.

5. CB we need a nickel CB

6. DE we need another one to take over from Abe when he goes

7. OLB depth though I want Nicholas to start.

That is my list HOWEVER if Fitzgerald want to come to ATL at a reasonable price I wouldn't say no...

But we will still need a DE

I just want someone who can catch the ball out of the slot or backfield make some body miss and pick up yards on a consistent basis.

They don't have to be overly fast, but someone who is just slippery and can find holes in zones and make defenses pay. You know make opposing teams actually have to game plan for the guy. I'm tired of this Double Roddy/Brackett Tony G and keep Turner running sideways and we've stopped them crap.

I just want someone who can catch the ball out of the slot or backfield make some body miss and pick up yards on a consistent basis.

They don't have to be overly fast, but someone who is just slippery and can find holes in zones and make defenses pay. You know make opposing teams actually have to game plan for the guy. I'm tired of this Double Roddy/Brackett Tony G and keep Turner running sideways and we've stopped them crap.

Pretty much this...

Most Rb's if you stop them running they can still contribute... not ours... so lets get a backup that can..

I think everyone wants what Harry Douglas was supposed to be. The best way to explain it is our offense needs more Steve Smith than Heyward-Bey.

We need a guy that can get open in any condition and been shifty enough to gain yards after the catch. Jenkins and Roddy have both shown that they can catch the deep ball when need be, but we don't have the guy that can catch those checkdowns Ryan throws so often and turn it into something big.

Meier

How is drafting a college WR with zero pro experience either a better solution?

Cheers,

GO

Because the guys we would be looking at, or at least I hope we'd be looking at, are a whole lot more talented than Meier. I like the guy just as much as the next person, but our problems go a lot further than a guy who's probably going to replace Finneran.