With the 27th pick, Mel Kiper has us taking....

From the few commnets I heard from TD, the goals would seem to be:

(1) More explosive on offense.

He didn't say WR, but you've got to believe that was what he meant (unless he is planning on signing Reggie Bush). So I could see a WR as our #1 pick.

(2) Playmakers on defense.

A pass rushing DE would fit the bill, but I'm not sure TD is limiting himself to that. There are a lot of positions on defense that can apply to.

He did mention Polamolu (sp?) as a type of player every teams needs. Is there that type of safety in the draft?

After watching Clay Matthews terrorize teams this year, an OLB might also fit the bill.

If they think they have found the next Albert Haynesworth they might even go DT.

On defense, there isn't any position that MUST be upgraded, but a lot of positions that could stand to be upgraded. I wouldn't be surprised to be surprised with an odd pick position-wise, because the guy is a playmaker.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Schrager has the Falcons taking Rodney Hudson with the 27th pick

Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State: A four-time All-ACC performer, Hudson is ready to contribute for an NFL team immediately next season. Atlanta’s offensive line was solid all season, then got the business from the Packers on Saturday. At the guard spots, Harvey Dahl and Justin Blalock are serviceable pros. Hudson already could be the superior blocker in both the rushing and passing game.

Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State: A four-time All-ACC performer, Hudson is ready to contribute for an NFL team immediately next season. Atlanta’s offensive line was solid all season, then got the business from the Packers on Saturday. At the guard spots, Harvey Dahl and Justin Blalock are serviceable pros. Hudson already could be the superior blocker in both the rushing and passing game.

I just don't see us going guard #1 ....what about Johnson ?

Let's see............we could'nt stop GB a single time last weekend, so we are going to use our first round pick on a WR???? Doubt it, highly doubt it. The whole draft and off season will be about defense.

Thats what FA is about this will dictate where we'll go in the draft Pass Rush is a bit hit and miss in the dradft I think the FO shore's up DE in FA.So WR as a first pick is not totally out of the question.

I am 103% sure we will not draft a guard in the first round.

This just violates everything about the way Dimitroff drafts. He drafts for need, not best player available. Guard is so far down our needs list that if it isn't at the bottom, then it is below the bottom.

Mr. Schrager doesn't seem to have a clue.

I know TATF gets a lot of traffic, but there are guys on the NFL Draft and FA that can give a lot more information on just about any prospect.

Smith would be a solid pickup, but If Gonzo retires it could be Kyle Rudolph. Personally If we could trade down a few more spots I would love to bring in Jeremy Beal (DE)

I know TATF gets a lot of traffic, but there are guys on the NFL Draft and FA that can give a lot more information on just about any prospect.

Smith would be a solid pickup, but If Gonzo retires it could be Kyle Rudolph. Personally If we could trade down a few more spots I would love to bring in Jeremy Beal (DE)

I hate the TE in the first round option. People forget that we still had a decent offense before Gonzalez got here. We need playmakers that can stretch the field at this point, not more players that like to catch stuff underneath.

I hate the TE in the first round option. People forget that we still had a decent offense before Gonzalez got here. We need playmakers that can stretch the field at this point, not more players that like to catch stuff underneath.

People also forget that prior to getting Gonzo, Mularky had a reputation for not using pass catching tight ends.

Mularky changed his playbook to take adavantage of having a hall of fame TE on the roster, but given his history I doubt he is going to feel any special pressure to replace him.

Mel Kiper's opinion doesn't hold much water, but this wouldn't be the worst scenario. I'd like to see a speed guy in the #2 WR spot, and move Jenkins into more of a Brian Finneran role.

We could use Roddy and a speed #2 WR in a similar fashion to how the Steelers use Hines Ward and Mike Wallace.

Mel Kiper's opinion doesn't hold much water, but this wouldn't be the worst scenario. I'd like to see a speed guy in the #2 WR spot, and move Jenkins into more of a Brian Finneran role.

We could use Roddy and a speed #2 WR in a similar fashion to how the Steelers use Hines Ward and Mike Wallace.

Man, it is for sure time to upgrade from Jenkins ...regardless of what his nuthuggers say .......

I like Smith.... I just dont think he is a 1st round pick... now as of right now.... Its no way he makes it to our 2nd round pick tho....

I understand what you are saying but I don't subscribe to that logic. You and I both know if he runs 4.39 or better all of a sudden he will be vaulted up and they will be talking about him as a possible first rounder. To me, nothing has changed besides his speed being verified. The type of player he is and his body of work is still the same. Going by that alone I say he is worth 27 overall. Especially given the Falcon's needs and the lack of depth at WR. Not like we are talking about 10 or 12 WR that are going to be drafted in the first two rounds.

Edited by isproab

Without looking what other people have to say, here's a take from a current Maryland student.

Torrey Smith is your stereotypical big play college receiver. He has that Al Davis build in that he is big and super fast. He has decent hands and decent route running ability. He has the ability to adjust to a ball being thrown to him and make a big play. He played hurt throughout most of last season and still was considered marylands biggest offensive threat while hurt. He also is a tremendous PR not that we desperately need one. I don't think of him as a first round pick, but he is definitely a talent that could dominate in the league with good veterans helping him grow. There are two clear cut WRs in this class. The difference between them is Torrey has the talent, but AJ and Julio have both talent and NFL ready.

JMHO

Edited by hooshman

I think a lot of people have a common misconception that Torrey Smith is just all speed and etc. If you honestly watch him, you'll see that he has all the intangibles to be a great WR in the NFL. I think the fact that he's coming into the league 2 years after Darrius Heyward-Bey and people saw how he was just all size and speed that they automatically assume the same when you have a guy from the same school and right around the same ballpark in terms of size and speed; however, this guy is nothing like DHB.

I really can see this guy being a 1st round draft pick even if he runs a 4.45. He's got weaknesses, but he's a very hard worker and there is not a single weakness that he has that is glaring.

In my opinion, he's got a better skillset than Jonathan Baldwin, which isn't saying much, but there are a lot of people who seem to be pretty high on him.

I'm not going to lie and say that I've been paying close attention to his mock drafts over the past few years so I can't really comment on that. One thing I will say though is that it's extremely early and most if not all the mock drafts are probably 75% inaccurate at this point. I just wanted to spark some convo with yo guys to see if you guys like the pick or not. It's completely hypothetical like a lot of things that get talked about on this board.

He said Clausen would be a top 5 pick, that's all you need to know, take anything Kiper says with a grain of salt

I think a lot of people have a common misconception that Torrey Smith is just all speed and etc. If you honestly watch him, you'll see that he has all the intangibles to be a great WR in the NFL. I think the fact that he's coming into the league 2 years after Darrius Heyward-Bey and people saw how he was just all size and speed that they automatically assume the same when you have a guy from the same school and right around the same ballpark in terms of size and speed; however, this guy is nothing like DHB.

I really can see this guy being a 1st round draft pick even if he runs a 4.45. He's got weaknesses, but he's a very hard worker and there is not a single weakness that he has that is glaring.

In my opinion, he's got a better skillset than Jonathan Baldwin, which isn't saying much, but there are a lot of people who seem to be pretty high on him.

Good post .........I agree .... and they say he has broken 4.3 several times ...dude can stretch the field, and got great hands.

He said Clausen would be a top 5 pick, that's all you need to know, take anything Kiper says with a grain of salt

Like everybody is going to be spot on with their predictions every time. There are always going to be scouts that are higher on certain prospects for whatever reason, and giving the unpredictability of the draft, it's hard to determine where players are going to go. Jimmy Clausen was regarded by many as the 2nd best QB behind Sam Bradford, so it's not like Kiper was the only one.

But I do get what you are saying. You shouldn't completely buy into mock drafts ever, because the NFL is a very unpredictable business. Teams are ultimately going to value certain prospects higher than others, just look at Tyson Alualu and Corey Peters. I remember a lot of people were like WTF when we drafted Corey Peters because they had not heard from him, but since then we know that there were a few teams that were also looking at drafting him in the 3rd round. Besides, most mock drafts are just a popularity contest, a lot of people build their mock's off of other "draftniks" and they just change around their picks accordingly.

Like everybody is going to be spot on with their predictions every time. There are always going to be scouts that are higher on certain prospects for whatever reason, and giving the unpredictability of the draft, it's hard to determine where players are going to go. Jimmy Clausen was regarded by many as the 2nd best QB behind Sam Bradford, so it's not like Kiper was the only one.

But I do get what you are saying. You shouldn't completely buy into mock drafts ever, because the NFL is a very unpredictable business. Teams are ultimately going to value certain prospects higher than others, just look at Tyson Alualu and Corey Peters. I remember a lot of people were like WTF when we drafted Corey Peters because they had not heard from him, but since then we know that there were a few teams that were also looking at drafting him in the 3rd round. Besides, most mock drafts are just a popularity contest, a lot of people build their mock's off of other "draftniks" and they just change around their picks accordingly.

No it's not the fact he is utterly wrong half the time, its the fact he makes an *** of himself trying to defend every single one of his picks.

draft is still months away and these players have to go through workouts, combine, senior bowl, east/west shrine game, etc... my point being players are going to move up and down on everyone's boards like the packers did against our defense saturday night...TD has brought in one big time FA every year (Turner, Tony G, Dunta) so i expect one more this year at either DE or WR. whichever position we don't address in FA we will target with our 1st rounder

Let's see............we could'nt stop GB a single time last weekend, so we are going to use our first round pick on a WR???? Doubt it, highly doubt it. The whole draft and off season will be about defense.

I agree. I would rather see a defensive pick in the 1st and 2nd. It seems to me like if they go WR/RB/TE it should be in the 3-4 rd.