With the 27th pick, Mel Kiper has us taking....

Torrey Smith.

I can honestly say that I don't know anything about this guy. All I know is that he played for Maryland. They are doing a mock draft all day on SC and this is who Mel Kiper had us taking at 27. Although I don't have much info on the guy, I do like the position pick at this spot.

Do you guys know anything about Joe Smith, and what are your thoughts on him, and us potentially taking a WR at this spot?

It's really early but evaluating potential talent and draft speculation is something that's always fascinated me. GO FALCONS!!!

EDIT!!!

Thanks freebird310 for the correction on the name.

Edited by xXFlashFalconXx

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't we supposed to be making thread about defending the dome for the NFC Championship, o wait, nevermind.

:blink: Some of you guys are the most pessimistic people on the planet. I'm just as upset as anybody that we're not playing this weekend but I'm not going to keep complaining about it. We lost, let's move on and move forward.

Edited by xXFlashFalconXx

Guy has run sub 4.3 40's ...Al Davis prolly snatch him up ....... :lol:

2011 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

It took Torrey Smith a better part of a year and half to make an impact for Maryland, but once he got going, the 6-1 receiver and kick returner really sparked the Terrapins offense. In 2007 Smith made some noise on the scout team while he was redshirting, but it took him half a season to step into a major role the following the season. Smith stepped into a starting receiver role by the end of the season and started the final six games. He only caught 24 passes, but those passes resulted in 336 yards and two touchdowns. While Smith was polishing his pass catching abilities, he was making a bigger splash as a kick returner. Smith averaged 25.9 yards per kick off return and returned one for a score.

By 2009, the Colonial Beach, Virginia native was usually a starter and a much bigger part of the offense. He easily led the team with 61 receptions for 824 yards and five touchdowns. He also rushed for a touchdown and returned two kickoffs for scores. Smith had high expectations heading into 2010 and he did not disappoint. Smith's return game suffered a little bit during his junior campaign, but he emerged as a superb receiver, catching 67 passes for 1,055 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Smith has cemented his position as a second round selection. With a couple receivers going back to school who could have been first or second round picks, Smith will look like an even more attractive option in the middle of the second round. He does not have the size of a top NFL receiver, but he is a superb athlete who has blazing speed and can run a sub 4.3 40.

Torrey-Smith.jpg

Edited by freebird310

Mel Kiper's a cartoon. His draft boards the past few years have been epic swing and misses.

:wacko:

I'm not going to lie and say that I've been paying close attention to his mock drafts over the past few years so I can't really comment on that. One thing I will say though is that it's extremely early and most if not all the mock drafts are probably 75% inaccurate at this point. I just wanted to spark some convo with yo guys to see if you guys like the pick or not. It's completely hypothetical like a lot of things that get talked about on this board.

His name isactually Torrey Smith, big blazing WR, junior I believe, I will try to find his bio for you .......

Guy has run sub 4.3 40's ...Al Davis prolly snatch him up ....... :lol:

2011 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

It took Torrey Smith a better part of a year and half to make an impact for Maryland, but once he got going, the 6-1 receiver and kick returner really sparked the Terrapins offense. In 2007 Smith made some noise on the scout team while he was redshirting, but it took him half a season to step into a major role the following the season. Smith stepped into a starting receiver role by the end of the season and started the final six games. He only caught 24 passes, but those passes resulted in 336 yards and two touchdowns. While Smith was polishing his pass catching abilities, he was making a bigger splash as a kick returner. Smith averaged 25.9 yards per kick off return and returned one for a score.

By 2009, the Colonial Beach, Virginia native was usually a starter and a much bigger part of the offense. He easily led the team with 61 receptions for 824 yards and five touchdowns. He also rushed for a touchdown and returned two kickoffs for scores. Smith had high expectations heading into 2010 and he did not disappoint. Smith's return game suffered a little bit during his junior campaign, but he emerged as a superb receiver, catching 67 passes for 1,055 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Smith has cemented his position as a second round selection. With a couple receivers going back to school who could have been first or second round picks, Smith will look like an even more attractive option in the middle of the second round. He does not have the size of a top NFL receiver, but he is a superb athlete who has blazing speed and can run a sub 4.3 40.

Nice. Thanks for the info. Guys seems like a burner but me not hearing his name until now has me a little skeptical. I'm sure we'll find out more about guys like this as the draft gets closer though.

Nice. Thanks for the info. Guys seems like a burner but me not hearing his name until now has me a little skeptical. I'm sure we'll find out more about guys like this as the draft gets closer though.

Funny, cause I was looking at him for our #2 pick, this is the first time I saw him mentioned as a first rounder ....at one time he was a Heisman canidate ...said to have hands of glue, and blazing speed ...I saw him come up big in the one Maryland game i saw last year ...would love to have him, but is he worth a #1 ?....I guess we see if he climbs after the combine ......

Let's see............we could'nt stop GB a single time last weekend, so we are going to use our first round pick on a WR???? Doubt it, highly doubt it. The whole draft and off season will be about defense.

Our defense definitely needs to be improved. I don't think you'll find on single Falcons fan with common sense who will disagree with you there; however, we would be doing ourselves a major injustice if we didn't improve the Offense along with the D. And to be perfectly honest, I think a lot of our guys on D are going to be back and I agree with that decision if it happens. We just need more depth, a few more playmakers and an adjustment to the scheme and we'll have a much improved D.

Our Offense on the other had needs to become lethal. I'm telling you guys, we are big time WR opposite Roddy, solid speed back who can run AND catch, young TE who can block and beat man coverage, and a speed demon in the slot who can create mismatches away from having a monster unit on O. That's 4 players!!! We could realistic get that type of skill set at those positions as well which is ver encouraging to me.

Funny, cause I was looking at him for our #2 pick, this is the first time I saw him mentioned as a first rounder ....at one time he was a Heisman canidate ...said to have hands of glue, and blazing speed ...I saw him come up big in the one Maryland game i saw last year ...would love to have him, but is he worth a #1 ?....I guess we see if he climbs after the combine ......

Wow. This guy must be able to play some ball then. I'm liking his skill set for sure but I definitely have to do more research about him. It would be awesome if we could draft a guy with his skill set in the 2nd and sign a guy like Vincent Jackson in the offseason. I can't imagine how teams would stop us. That might be the worst match up in the league for opposing teams.

Let's see............we could'nt stop GB a single time last weekend, so we are going to use our first round pick on a WR???? Doubt it, highly doubt it. The whole draft and off season will be about defense.

We couldn't score very well on them either...Every single F'ing year except one has been about defense, and we've got a quickly aging TE, a mediocre oline most of whom will be FA's, a bum RB who has no burst or speed left, and is breaking fewer tackles, and no WR's to speak of outside Roddy White.

At least the defense has a lot of youth and talent. I think our deficincies on Defense personell wise are pretty much this: we need 1 or 2 more legit passrushers, and we need to adjust the scheme to incorporate more bumping and route disruption.

Guess who isn't getting replaced as a starter on defense, because they're good/solid/and/or young and talented:

Grimes

D. Robinson

W. Moore

T. Decoud(who would we upgrade him with? He had a down year, he still didn't play that badly, and he's young, and he was awesome a season ago...replacing him now would be foolish)

C. Lofton

S. Weatherspoon

J. Abraham

J. Babineaux

C. Peters/P. Jerry

So there's 2 spots on D that can/will be upgraded:

OLB, and LDE. That's it. No sense replacing any of the others.

On offense, WR 2, WR 3, WR 4 could all legitimately be upgraded, as could TE 1, several of the oline positions, and both our starting rb and 3rd down back could be majorly upgraded.

SO many more issues on the O side when you just look at personnell.

The defense can be fixed by adding a free agent or two and a scheme change from being paranoid about giving up the big play and having corners sitting eight yards off the receivers to a more aggressive style. The offense, however, is in need of an overhaul. The O-line is mediocre, Turner needs a complement, White needs a complement, Gonzalez won't be around much longer, and overall Ryan needs someone other than White to throw to. That and getting an OC that knows how to change plays up and can figure out defenses can defend curl and out routes easily enough when that is all you ever do.

Plus, the offense only got about 200 yards and was on the field for about 20 minutes on Saturday. The defense wasn't stopping anything but it only gets worse when the offense can't stay on the field and not scoring.

Edited by Psychic Gibbon

We couldn't score very well on them either...Every single F'ing year except one has been about defense, and we've got a quickly aging TE, a mediocre oline most of whom will be FA's, a bum RB who has no burst or speed left, and is breaking fewer tackles, and no WR's to speak of outside Roddy White.

At least the defense has a lot of youth and talent. I think our deficincies on Defense personell wise are pretty much this: we need 1 or 2 more legit passrushers, and we need to adjust the scheme to incorporate more bumping and route disruption.

Guess who isn't getting replaced as a starter on defense, because they're good/solid/and/or young and talented:

Grimes

D. Robinson

W. Moore

T. Decoud(who would we upgrade him with? He had a down year, he still didn't play that badly, and he's young, and he was awesome a season ago...replacing him now would be foolish)

C. Lofton

S. Weatherspoon

J. Abraham

J. Babineaux

C. Peters/P. Jerry

So there's 2 spots on D that can/will be upgraded:

OLB, and LDE. That's it. No sense replacing any of the others.

On offense, WR 2, WR 3, WR 4 could all legitimately be upgraded, as could TE 1, several of the oline positions, and both our starting rb and 3rd down back could be majorly upgraded.

SO many more issues on the O side when you just look at personnell.

Great post. I agree with everything you're saying. I think our O can use some major improvements and the players in certain spots were made to look a little better than they were due to the scheme (at times) and the decision making by Matt.

I remember when we played NO on Monday night and Matt took a couple of shots down field in the seem but Harry just didn't have the size to go up over the guy and get it. We need some more playmakers in key spots.

I think Smith is a good pick. No, I don't see him as a big time number one game changer, but he is a good receiver with nice speed and size. I'm thinking along the lines of a Torrey Holt from a physical standpoint. He may not be as polished as Holt was at this point but I think he has the makings of a good WR. Not a guy that anybody ever said was the best in the game but a guy that was very consistent for a lot of years.

Well, keep in mind that Mel's mock drafts have more to do with how much the player's agent pays him than their actual talent.

The last 2 drafts have been about defense and that hasn't worked. The draft where we focused on offense was the best the team ever had, might as well focus on offense again