Denard Robinson staying put at Michigan

Carter

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Record-setting quarterback Denard Robinson acknowledged he thought about transferring when Michigan fired Rich Rodriguez.

"Rich Rod was one of the few coaches that gave me a chance to play as a quarterback on the next level," Robinson said in an interview posted on mgoblue.com, the school's website, on Monday.

Robinson decided to stay after talking to his parents, brother and high school coach.

"This is my family -- my home now," he said.

Rodriguez was fired Jan. 5 and Brady Hoke was hired a week later. Robinson told Hoke a day after he was hired that he was committing to staying to play for him next season.

Robinson's high school coach said "every school" wanted Robinson to leave and he had heard from 10 to 15 coaches within a day of Hoke's hiring.

The first player in NCAA history to throw and run for 1,500 yards said new coach Brady Hoke was "terrific" and added that he was eager to learn his offense.

"It's going to be something to learn," Robinson said. "It's going to be fine."

Art Taylor, who coached Robinson at Deerfield Beach (Fla.) High School, backs Robinson's decision.

"I'm supportive of Denard and happy for him," Taylor wrote in a text message. "As long as he is happy, that is the most important thing."

Robinson finished sixth in voting for the Heisman Trophy and won awards as the Big Ten's offensive player of the year and MVP.

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon has said QB Tate Forcier, who backed up Robinson after starting ahead of him when they were both freshmen in 2009, is no longer with the program.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6029908

Good news for Michigan.

This off season is shaping up real well for Michigan after a horrible loss to MSU.

Yeah that was tough for me to watch, honestly... I've always liked Michigan outside of the SEC and since I've grown older some enough to appreciate things beyond the scoreboard results, I've come to have a great respect for them as a program and institution. Michigan prides itself on tradition and that's huge in my book. Mega bonus points for hating Ohio State as well. :lol:

I've been impressed with how Michigan has been able to pull together a solid staff. Rich Rod was a disaster in pretty much every way except for fielding the kind of offense people expected this past season.

I'm interested to see how Denard Robinson fits into the offensive scheme going forward. I think Hoke will tailor an offense to the strengths of the personnel, but I do believe he'll start moving toward more power in the offense. What are your thoughts on that?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that was tough for me to watch, honestly... I've always liked Michigan outside of the SEC and since I've grown older some enough to appreciate things beyond the scoreboard results, I've come to have a great respect for them as a program and institution. Michigan prides itself on tradition and that's huge in my book. Mega bonus points for hating Ohio State as well. :lol:

I've been impressed with how Michigan has been able to pull together a solid staff. Rich Rod was a disaster in pretty much every way except for fielding the kind of offense people expected this past season.

I'm interested to see how Denard Robinson fits into the offensive scheme going forward. I think Hoke will tailor an offense to the strengths of the personnel, but I do believe he'll start moving toward more power in the offense. What are your thoughts on that?

Yeah I think we will get back to a much more Power oriented offense which is what most mid-west schools use that will allow us to get back to recruiting in state and in the region and not as much in Florida or the south. I also think Al Borges is a good offensive coordinator that can help develop Denard a little more with his throwing technique.