Why The Falcons Aren't Built To Come From Behind

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2011/1/17/1940714/why-the-falcons-arent-built-to-come-from-behind?ref=yahoo

Once the Falcons went down by three touchdowns against the Packers Saturday night, the game was all but over.

The Falcons have shown a remarkable propensity for coming back from a score, and sometimes even two. That's because they are built to keep games close and win them, based as they are on a power running attack, an accurate short passing game and a scoring-stingy defense. Every now and then, the team can even dial up the big play, most often when Roddy White flips the tiny switch on his back from "God Mode" to "God's God Mode" and messily devours a screaming cornerback. But to get the Falcons back from 21 or more?

Not likely.

In extremely condensed form, here's why I think that is: This team is built to be conservative. They're meant to beat the piss out of an opposing defense, grind their way downfield and conserve leads on the backs of a ball-control offense and an opportunistic defense. Everything from the choice of offensive coordinator down to the choice of running back for this team tells me the Falcons have consciously decided to emphasize that kind of attack.

When the defense clamps down, the offense is excellent at preserving wins. Matt Ryan and company limit mistakes and finely dice time itself, even if they're not moving down the field. Unfortunately, they're either unwilling or unable to switch that game plan to a full-blown aerial assault when the defense is getting rocked. It's rare that it happens, but when it does, the Falcons are not able to recover.

So my question to you is: How do you fix something like that? Do the Falcons simply need to put an elite defense on the field and sally forth as they have? Do they need to build a more aggressive, potent offense capable of scoring from anywhere on the field? Or is it somewhere in between.

"Do the Falcons simply need to put an elite defense on the field and sally forth as they have? Do they need to build a more aggressive, potent offense capable of scoring from anywhere on the field? Or is it somewhere in between."

Answer: Both!

Aggressive offense. In today's NFL and with the way rules favor the offense you go attacking agressive offense and field a fast turnover defense that may give up 25 points a game, but will be disruptive...ala the Saints in their SB run.

I've only been screaming this literally into the computer screen for the last 3 years since Smitty and Company have arrived in FB! This article hits everything on the head exactly! Folks keep crying about the offense and the defense but fail to realize we are built a certain way for a reason. This article most definitely put into words (more articulately) what I've been saying all along. We're built to get the lead and keep the lead. That is our MO. Most folks don't like the way we are built but I must ask you...until the last 3 seasons how has every other scheme worked out?

Let's look at a few examples...

I can only recall the Reeves era til now since that's when I first started following football. The following may or may not be entirely correct since I'm writing this off the top of my head.

Dan Reeves took us to the SB with (gasp) a conservative scheme eerily similar to what we now have. That was 1998 folks; 13 years ago.

Enter Jim Mora. For the most part, the ground and pound coupled with the mobile qb attack successfully got us to the NFC championship in 2004.

Next up...Boobie P...that mofo....! Well, he brought the power spread offense to us for 13 games to the tune of 3 freakin wins. That scheme was supposed to be the aerial show that most of the fans on here want. I remember watching Louisville games prior to that season thinking we'd be unstoppable. Unfortunately, that didn't work out to say the least.

Moving on...Enter Smitty. We all know what he's done so no need to go into that.

My point is this (to answer your question), we will always have a conservative offense as long as Smitty is our coach. There is a reason in the last 3 years we've spent the majority of our draft picks on defense. We are building an attacking zone blitz defense. The reason our corners are playing 7 yards off the ball (the correct technique btw) is because we're either in off man cover 1 or in cover 3 with the occasional zone blitz depending on down and distance. So when people get on here claiming we run a cover 2 scheme I laugh because we haven't run that since 08. It may look like a cover 2 but that is for disguising purposes. Our scheme is built to get the ball out of the qb's hands as quick as possible and make them have to try to march down the field. If we have the lead, that plays into our hands because their offense has to be perfect and patient. Unfortunately when our blitz doesn't get home and a mobile qb is able to escape and still put the ball on the money...well you're gonna get beat. There's nothing you can do but shake off that play and try again.

We're fine on both offense and defense imo. We need to tweak a few things as far as personnel but overall our team scheme has proven to be successful. 13-3, 9-7, and 11-5. It has accomplished to do things this franchise has failed to do in the previous 40 something years.

Stay patient my friends...we are in good hands.

KJB

Most of what i have read is true. My opinion is that we need a RB in the backfield with some speed to complement Turner's game. We also need some speed at WR. This dink and donk offensive play calling is for the birds. We were last in big plays, tied with Carolina. In the playoffs, usually teams with good defenses are in it and when you shut down Turner, game is over. Matt Ryan will always be just "a good QB", never great within this system. We need to replace both Coordinators and TD better have a nice chat with Mike Smith to become more aggressive with the football or it will be dejavu again next yr. :angry:

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Somewhere in between. We're about 1-2 impact players away on each side of the ball.

On offense we need a Norwood type back and a great guy for the slot. As well we need to improve the o-line to give our franchise QB the best protection we can.

In defense we need A L.D.E. to come in now make an impact, and a guy that can play the nickel, as well as a agressive, productive O.L.B. who can play the run and pass.

If we can accomplish that this offseason, then from there own its just about building solid depth at all positions. Just in case one gets hurt, can't afford to resign, or skills are starting to diminish. Once we get all the pieces and start concentrating on depth, we will become the team everyone knows we can.