What Clay Matthews had to say

hawkeye

Packers OLB Clay Matthews, quoted in the Edmonton Sun describing QB Aaron Rodgers' near-perfect performance on Saturday night — Rodgers completed 31-of-36 passes for 366 yards and three TDs en route to Green Bay's 48-21 dismantling of the Falcons: "That was unbelievable. I haven't seen a performance like that in a very long time, if at all. He was throwing the ball at will on them and he was just dicing them up." Added Matthews: "It was pretty amazing to know that if we gave him the ball, 80 yards, he was driving down and scoring."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/17/they-said-it-week-of-jan-17

I'll say it again. We need to start with the defense b/c if you can't stop a team from scoring then you are in

trouble. Even if you are scoring you still can't play tit for tat. But guess what tho. You can also score on

defense with turnovers. At some point you gotta make a stop.

Packers OLB Clay Matthews, quoted in the Edmonton Sun describing QB Aaron Rodgers' near-perfect performance on Saturday night — Rodgers completed 31-of-36 passes for 366 yards and three TDs en route to Green Bay's 48-21 dismantling of the Falcons: "That was unbelievable. I haven't seen a performance like that in a very long time, if at all. He was throwing the ball at will on them and he was just dicing them up." Added Matthews: "It was pretty amazing to know that if we gave him the ball, 80 yards, he was driving down and scoring."

I'll say it again. We need to start with the defense b/c if you can't stop a team from scoring then you are in

trouble. Even if you are scoring you still can't play tit for tat. But guess what tho. You can also score on

I agree but TD has drafted heavy on defense the past two seasons and William Moore and Corey Peters are the only ones who stand out so far. The rest are either off the team or are still question marks. And our big money FA acquisition... Dunta Robinson. I think we need more production out of TD.

Our scheme is lacking...big time

Along with another pass rusher, possibly another OLB that is fast and can cover, and CB depth...

Yeah, it's the players' fault when they can't tackle or sack the QB properly, but the scheme has it's issues too.

That's true.

The majority of the problem is not the players. It is the scheme and the overall mentality that we have as a defense.

We have given up huge chunks of yards all year long simply because we rely on being able to use the "bend but don't break defense" formula. That explains why our CBs play 10 yards of the LOS, we rarely blitz and we see plenty of 3 or 4 man rushes while our DBs sit back in a soft zone the majority of the time.

Unfortunately, we played an extremely talented team with an very good QB who cashed in on many of those opportunities.

Although we are a young, I think you would be hard pressed to find huge needs on our defense outside of DE. If you look around the league, even the best defenses have holes....maybe even more than we have. The difference is that they know how to scheme against other teams and maximize the talent that they have.

We could have 11 pro bowlers, but if the scheme and mentality doesn't change, we will never get better. But when we run into talented teams with good QBs, we will always struggle.

The majority of the problem is not the players. It is the scheme and the overall mentality that we have as a defense.

We have given up huge chunks of yards all year long simply because we rely on being able to use the "bend but don't break defense" formula. That explains why our CBs play 10 yards of the LOS, we rarely blitz and we see plenty of 3 or 4 man rushes while our DBs sit back in a soft zone the majority of the time.

Unfortunately, we played an extremely talented team with an very good QB who cashed in on many of those opportunities.

Although we are a young, I think you would be hard pressed to find huge needs on our defense outside of DE. If you look around the league, even the best defenses have holes....maybe even more than we have. The difference is that they know how to scheme against other teams and maximize the talent that they have.

We could have 11 pro bowlers, but if the scheme and mentality doesn't change, we will never get better. When we run into talented teams with good QBs, we will always struggle.

Edited by hakim24

We could have 11 pro bowlers, but if the scheme and mentality doesn't change, we will never get better. But when we run into talented teams with good QBs, we will always struggle.

It's not just the scheme it's the type of players too. We need a DE foremost. I think we are good at LB and S.

We will need another LB'er tho for depth behind Nic, Spoon, and Lofton. At CB we have 2 different type of CB's.

Dunta(press) and Grimes(off man). You are gonna have to play one or the other and that's the problem. That's

why I say we get another CB that can play press and move Grimes to the NB. That way everybody is on the same

page that fits their strengths. Grimes has played NB b4 so that's no problem.

I agree. And, regardless, of this horrid game we can't lose sight of the fact that we have a young defense that improved. Going in and blowing it up would be terrible (and I'm sure not the TD way). I do agree that possibly at some point, TD has to consider whether the DC and his scheme is right.

It's not just the scheme it's the type of players too. We need a DE foremost. I think we are good at LB and S.

We will need another LB'er tho for depth behind Nic, Spoon, and Lofton. At CB we have 2 different type of CB's.

Dunta(press) and Grimes(off man). You are gonna have to play one or the other and that's the problem. That's

why I say we get another CB that can play press and move Grimes to the NB. That way everybody is on the same

page that fits their strengths. Grimes has played NB b4 so that's no problem.

Why does every armchair Moron want to move Grimes to NB? Dude WAYYYY outperformed Dunta. If anything it should be Dunta that gets moved to NB. That guys is so overpaid its not even funny. That is stealing money what he did this season. One pick in the garbage time of the blowout of the panthers. One pick ladies and gents. And dont throw that crap about not being thrown at. He got toasted his fair shiar of times. He cant cover the inside slant to save his life either. WAYYYYYYYY overpaid.

And we arent going to go out and get another hjigh priced CB either.

Ladies and Gentlemen its time for Dimitroff to start making some good moves again. The last two drafts and FA's hes pretty much wiffed.

True, The Defense could not stop Rodgers, but maybe, juuuuust maybe that had something to do with Rodgers?

Why does every armchair Moron want to move Grimes to NB? Dude WAYYYY outperformed Dunta. If anything it should be Dunta that gets moved to NB.

Because people who actually know football realize that Dunta Robinson is the more talented player, saddled in a horrible scheme that does not utilize his talents. Getting the guy from Oakland whose name I can neither pronounce nor spell would ONLY work out for us if BVG is forced to utilize both him and Dunta Robinson in a man covr scheme. Getting the Oakland guy and having him lay off 10 yards will result in both him and Robinson being labeled "busts", when the true culprit would be the manner in which they would be used.

I still can't believe we passed on this guy

same here. I have been watching him during Green Bay's end of the season and playoff run, and i'm NOT watching Peria Jerry do anything on the field and I'm thinking how did we get this wrong? ****...We need impact players on defense.

Speaking of a bad scheme, BVG has always employed that bend-but-don't-break mentality. He did that while at UGA and that was because the scheme he runs needs good pass rush pressure in order to complement the secondary coverage.

Now the drawback to that is (which I detest) the CBs are playing so far off the ball that they are susceptible to quick slants underneath. Sure, BVG's defense don't give up the deep ball, but they will give you the short stuff all day, hoping that the CB or LB can break up the pass as its in the air. That doesn't bode well when you employ that coverage against veteran QBs.

I gave the guy a chance last year because I believed that he didn't have the right personnel in order to run his defense correctly, but after last Saturday, it's apparent that he still cannot make the right adjustments to counter offense during the game.

What BVG has against utilizing a press coverage when he knows that he only has one bonafide pass rusher is beyond me.

Because people who actually know football realize that Dunta Robinson is the more talented player, saddled in a horrible scheme that does not utilize his talents. Getting the guy from Oakland whose name I can neither pronounce nor spell would ONLY work out for us if BVG is forced to utilize both him and Dunta Robinson in a man covr scheme. Getting the Oakland guy and having him lay off 10 yards will result in both him and Robinson being labeled "busts", when the true culprit would be the manner in which they would be used.

I will agree that Dunta IS taller than Grimes. That's about it as far as more talent goes. Now granted he might be better suited to a man coverage scheme. That in itself doesn't mean hes a better conrner than Grimes. No matter what you think you know. The proof is on the field, for those that actually know what to look for.

True, The Defense could not stop Rodgers, but maybe, juuuuust maybe that had something to do with Rodgers?

eh...you're talking about a fanbase that saw Peyton Hillis(I think) who was playing LB at the time tear through our D...usually when a player goes off like Rodgers did, we blame the D

I was talking to an educated UGA fan who watched the game on Saturday, and when the converation turned to Van Gorder, she said "its Van Gorder against Tebow all over again"

the scheme sucked - we were blitzing while giving WRs a seven to ten yard cushion - at some point, that is just pitch and catch

I was talking to an educated UGA fan who watched the game on Saturday, and when the converation turned to Van Gorder, she said "its Van Gorder against Tebow all over again"

the scheme sucked - we were blitzing while giving WRs a seven to ten yard cushion - at some point, that is just pitch and catch

Exactly. That's why I say we need 2 corners that can play press. When you are blitzing the CB's need to be

at the line jamming the WR off the route.

Exactly. That's why I say we need 2 corners that can play press. When you are blitzing the CB's need to be

at the line jamming the WR off the route.

That's something I've noticed as well. In the second half, I was seeing 1st and 10 and 2nd and 10 and just took 1 play to cover all 10 yards and then making it so the defense never got off the field. And also, don't take away from Mr. Rodgers, he played very will and definitely capitalized on everything the defense gave him.

The other thing that I did agree with from the Joe Buck/Aikman commentary was that even though we won our games, we're not a big play team. When we fall behind like that, and ESPECIALLY like the playoff game, we're going to NEED the big plays.

Yes, Matt Ryan can throw the deep ball just fine and Roddy, Harry Douglass, Michael Jenkins could probably nab them, but they aren't given too many opportunities to do so. And it showed during the game. One thing i did see, it was nice that they tried to get Turner a pass from the backfield, if it's a start to getting him another dimension, it's a very good sign. I just wish they prepared it more and had more time to experiment during the season rather than see it pop out of no where in a playoff game.

I think our problem on defense is soft coverage and being out of position after the catch. Our guys play back and allow the underneath pass. A missed tackle after that and it's a big gain. Watching the game in the stands I did not see any of our guys stuffing the wide out or tight ends at the begining of the play. If you do not do something to disrupt the timing even a mediocre QB can pass against you.

I feel it is a scheme problem more than it is a player problem. The players have 5 yds to bump and cause issues with timing but instead of doing so they played 10 yds back. Leaving the middle of the filed wide open. You cannot give a QB like Rodgers that luxury. He will burn you all night long. Which he did repeatedly.

Change our scheme and we should see better results. I am no expert and don't claim to be but it was pretty obvious to me that it's not working with this bend don't break defense.

Sure we had a great season and 13 wins says a lot but if you look back at most of our games we let teams come back on us and make these games closer than they should have been.

Why does every armchair Moron want to move Grimes to NB? Dude WAYYYY outperformed Dunta. If anything it should be Dunta that gets moved to NB. That guys is so overpaid its not even funny. That is stealing money what he did this season. One pick in the garbage time of the blowout of the panthers. One pick ladies and gents. And dont throw that crap about not being thrown at. He got toasted his fair shiar of times. He cant cover the inside slant to save his life either. WAYYYYYYYY overpaid.

And we arent going to go out and get another hjigh priced CB either.

Ladies and Gentlemen its time for Dimitroff to start making some good moves again. The last two drafts and FA's hes pretty much wiffed.

I agree... Dunta gave up in the inside route EVERY play. When I played, coaches stressed NEVER give up the inside route and IF you get beat to the inside, force them into the LBs. Dunta needs to ADJUST to the system. I don't care if you're a bump guy or not - you're a NFL cornerback. One trick ponies stay in the NCAA baby. Man up and adjust or pack your bags.

Grimes has earned a starting spot as far as I am concerned. He's outplayed most CB's in the league and I dont recall many plays where Grimes was out of position (just plain beat) -- it's usually a game of inches for Grimes and that's ok. You win some, you lose some. Plus, let's be honest - the man is exciting to watch (vert anyone?) and I am a believer in rewarding the hardest working guys in the game. Grimes will be even better next year - mark my words.