Elite defenses CAN be built in one offseason.

Guest whitestain

Guest AtlWhite84

How many times have we seen it recently?

Rex Ryan in one offseason took the Jets from the 16th ranked defense to 1st.

Dom Capers in the same offseason took the Packers from 20th to 2nd and that was with a complete overhaul of their defensive scheme.

Rod Marinelli in one year has taken the Chicago Bears from 17th to 9th.

Gregg Williams took a bad New Orleans defense and turned it into a Super Bowl-caliber turnover machine last, and continued it through to this season where they are the 4th ranked defense in the NFL.

Why are these teams able to turn around SO quickly but we've been stuck going on a decade now with mediocre to awful defenses? How can Green Bay overhaul their entire scheme in one offseason, draft two guys to fit it, and have them both be instantly successful? Well, for one, they all hired great defensive coordinators while we got some guy from college, but the most important thing is that we are losing the Draft and Free Agent battle nearly every single year.

Peria Jerry over Clay Matthews? Sean Weatherspoon over Devin McCourty or Dez Bryant (Yes I know he plays offense, I'm just trying to make a point)? Not that I'm giving up on these guys this early but how are we missing out on drafting guys that are having THIS big of an impact this early in their careers?

Drafting for "need" has really hurt us the last 2 years in my opinion. Drafting for need causes you to reach for a player at a position simply because it is an area of weakness when instead we should just be thinking Best Player Available.

Edited by AtlWhite84

Guest AtlWhite84

Dom Capers was with the Packers last year when the Cardinals hung 51 points on them. This was not his first year with the team.

I was talking about last year. The Packers ended the season the #2 ranked defense.

Guest AtlWhite84

Both those teams built through trades a FAs.. something TD Doesn't do enough of.

EXACTLY.

Jets -- Bart Scott. Next year trade for Antonio Cromartie.

Green Bay -- Hit on both draft picks B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews

New Orleans -- Darren Sharper, Jabari Greer, hit on draft pick Malcolm Jenkins.

Chicago -- Julius Peppers

When are we going to start getting involved with free agents on the defensive side of the ball? And no, I'm not talking about past their prime players like Mike Peterson and players who don't deserve their contract like Dunta Robinson.

This team needs to get aggressive in the offseason for once.

It's hard to say that those players would have had the same impact in our scheme. I think everybody can agree that both Clay Matthews and Devin McCourty exceeded expectations, but there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.

We drafted Peria Jerry because he was a great value at the time of the draft. He was awesome throughout training camp and pre-season, but unfortunately the injury really did him in. The same with Sean Weatherspoon, he looked like he was really starting to pick things up this season until he got injured and it looked as if he had to go through a whole new re-adjustment period after that.

I was a Spoon fan the whole way last year before the draft, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed when Dez Bryant fell to us and we passed up on him.

It's hard to say that we've had misses, as much as just unfortunate outcomes. Hopefully, Peria can get to 100% this season, but I think for the most part we've done quite well with our later round picks on defense, although with the amount of talent that was left in the later rounds at DE, I'm suprised we didn't take a gamble on atleast 1 of them.

But I think we definitely need to shake up something with our defensive scheme. My biggest gripe is that we play our corners 10 yards off the receivers. Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers just killed us with all of the short passes.

I also hope Thomas DeCoud picks it up, he really let me down this season.

EXACTLY.

Jets -- Bart Scott. Next year trade for Antonio Cromartie.

Green Bay -- Hit on both draft picks B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews

New Orleans -- Darren Sharper, Jabari Greer, hit on draft pick Malcolm Jenkins.

Chicago -- Julius Peppers

When are we going to start getting involved with free agents on the defensive side of the ball? And no, I'm not talking about past their prime players like Mike Peterson and players who don't deserve their contract like Dunta Robinson.

This team needs to get aggressive in the offseason for once.

I think TD hits it big this year in FA and trades

I think he'll pick up Fitz, Charles Johnson, and Michael Bush

You guys are delusional.....does the Washington Redskins ring a bell? Jets was already a powerhouse on defense, just added a couple pieces to the puzzle...like how the Saints did last year...although we wasn't top 10 we was just ranked high in take-aways. But give it some time and you guys will be fine. The key is draft a number one on either side of the ball and build around...but you gotta use the draft.

You guys are delusional.....does the Washington Redskins ring a bell? Jets was already a powerhouse on defense, just added a couple pieces to the puzzle...like how the Saints did last year...although we wasn't top 10 we was just ranked high in take-aways. But give it some time and you guys will be fine. The key is draft a number one on either side of the ball and build around...but you gotta use the draft.

Voodoo the thing is we're not throwing 100 Million at ever FA avail

the 3 guys I listed we could probably get for under 100 Million.

Guest AtlWhite84

LMAO, the Jets were NOT a powerhouse on defense before Rex Ryan got there.