I would not be surprised to see Michael Turner traded this offseason

As we all know, TD came from the Patriots, and the Pats are exceptional at making trades to better themselves in the future.

Despite having a solid statistical season, anyone that saw the '08 Turner and the '10 Turner could tell a difference in his game. A lot of the times, Turner ran timid and didn't show much explosion. In addition, Turner is going to be 29 in about a month and led the league in rushing attempts this season.

He is now halfway done with the 6-year deal he signed back in '08. Most NFL contracts, mainly the big dollar ones, are front-loaded. On account of this, Turner could be all the more appealing to another NFL team.

If we trade him NOW, we could likely land a second round pick in this year's draft. If we wait another year or two, I'm not sure we could get much of anything (if anything) for him if we wait that long and judging by what I saw this season, I think it is likely that we would be getting mediocre productivity out of him.

So, if Turner's gone, that means we need another back to pair with Snelling.

DeAngelo Williams is a guy we could go after in free agency. However, to maximize his effectiveness, we can't rush him like we did with Turner, especially considering his recent injury history. If he carried the ball 225 times and Snelling carried it about 125 times on the year, then that'd be ideal, in my opinion.

If not DeAngelo Williams, then DeMarco Murray is another guy that could give us some much-needed explosion on the offensive side of the ball. Again, Murray's carries would have to be limited on account of his injury history, but TD has shown that he is willing to gamble on guys with injury histories (examples being Moore and Jerry, which, at the moment, is a 50% success rate given their play on the field, or lackthereof in Jerry's case).

It is likely we could get Murray with one of our two second round picks. If not Murray, Kendall Hunter is another option. I like Daniel Thomas out of Kansas State, too, but if we were to get him, I would still feel the need to get a speedster like Derrick Locke later in the draft or signing Sproles in FA (which would tie up a lot of money in the RB position, so I'm not too big of a fan of that option).

Preferably, I'd like to see DeAngelo Williams as I feel he and Snelling would be a good duo. Then we'd still have 2 second round picks to work with and not feel obligated to draft an RB.

As we all know, TD came from the Patriots, and the Pats are exceptional at making trades to better themselves in the future.

Despite having a solid statistical season, anyone that saw the '08 Turner and the '10 Turner could tell a difference in his game. A lot of the times, Turner ran timid and didn't show much explosion. In addition, Turner is going to be 29 in about a month and led the league in rushing attempts this season.

He is now halfway done with the 6-year deal he signed back in '08. Most NFL contracts, mainly the big dollar ones, are front-loaded. On account of this, Turner could be all the more appealing to another NFL team.

If we trade him NOW, we could likely land a second round pick in this year's draft. If we wait another year or two, I'm not sure we could get much of anything (if anything) for him if we wait that long and judging by what I saw this season, I think it is likely that we would be getting mediocre productivity out of him.

So, if Turner's gone, that means we need another back to pair with Snelling.

DeAngelo Williams is a guy we could go after in free agency. However, to maximize his effectiveness, we can't rush him like we did with Turner, especially considering his recent injury history. If he carried the ball 225 times and Snelling carried it about 125 times on the year, then that'd be ideal, in my opinion.

If not DeAngelo Williams, then DeMarco Murray is another guy that could give us some much-needed explosion on the offensive side of the ball. Again, Murray's carries would have to be limited on account of his injury history, but TD has shown that he is willing to gamble on guys with injury histories (examples being Moore and Jerry, which, at the moment, is a 50% success rate given their play on the field, or lackthereof in Jerry's case).

It is likely we could get Murray with one of our two second round picks. If not Murray, Kendall Hunter is another option. I like Daniel Thomas out of Kansas State, too, but if we were to get him, I would still feel the need to get a speedster like Derrick Locke later in the draft or signing Sproles in FA (which would tie up a lot of money in the RB position, so I'm not too big of a fan of that option).

Preferably, I'd like to see DeAngelo Williams as I feel he and Snelling would be a good duo. Then we'd still have 2 second round picks to work with and not feel obligated to draft an RB.

Brotha I PRAY TO GOD THIS HAPPENS. Smitty needs to go belechick on this one. Trade a player (who can afford to be lost for someone better) a year to early, b4 a year to late! I love what turner has done for us over the years..with that said, he's a one trick pony and he won't get any better. Fat, No hands, No speed (anymore)=TRADE NOW FOR PLAYERS AND DRAFT PICKS!!!! Think back to the 80s when the cowboys traded Herchel...The Cowboys got negged to the heavens for that (like im sure i will get after i post this), and look at the end result!!! Multiple Hall of Famers and Super bowls...

WISE UP!!!!

The great teams have the balls to make the tough and unpopular decisions that they know will better them in the future.

That's just the way it is.

+10 (if i can do that..lol)..Man thanks 4 having the balls to post this. Again..BLIND LOYALISTS..b4 you go nutz..Google the trade deal done between the Cowboys and the Vikings in 1989 for "the Great" Herchel Walker...its explained pretty well in Wikipedia..Teams with balls, WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS..and please don'T respond w/ "oh well i guess we should just trade matty ice, roddy, and abe..huh huh huh"...

WISE UP!!!!

I've been saying this since week 13.

Welcome to the club.

My more or less new view of Turner, would be to trade him to Arizona, along with this years 3rd and Next years 4th, for Larry Fitzgerald if he doesn't opt out. Other than that if Fitz opts out we can sign him through FA, and trade turner to a team like the Bills or the Cards for a 2nd or late 3rd.

Pick up Michael Bush (Younger faster Turner through FA)

and Draft Leshoure in the 2nd round, and if Fitz opts and we sign him we could draft Lance Kendrick with one of the picks we have.

Yep, its time. We've been talking about this for the past few years. No hands, cant run away from people like the burner from SD and cant catch. I appreciate everything but its diminishing returns at this point.

No beenie injury proned wells or deangelo. I think we can find something different, explosive and better.

Right concept but got to find the right replacement.

AND HE'S NOT THE ONLY ONE!

This is actually a really good point. Snelling can do almost anything Turner can, and Snelling CAN CATCH. The only difference is, Turner is a better downhill runner. We may have a little drop off in power running, but that would be made up by a HUGE improvement in our passing game. Snelling will be an effectual check down target as well as occasional screen target.

This is actually a really good point. Snelling can do almost anything Turner can, and Snelling CAN CATCH. The only difference is, Turner is a better downhill runner. We may have a little drop off in power running, but that would be made up by a HUGE improvement in our passing game. Snelling will be an effectual check down target as well as occasional screen target.

Co-signed!

This offense needs speed and explosiveness. Being a power running team is fine but we still need to be able to score quickly IF we have to.

While I agree he's over the hill, I don't see the team doing anything that drastic. More than likely, they'll start cutting down his carries and maybe turn the backfield into a committee like other teams do. At the very least, Turner still has value in short yardage and goal line situations. Get a speedy RB with hands for a change of pace and use Snelling as relief or backup for injuries.

Ugh, it's really a tough call. Turner isn't a bad back to have. I'm also not sure what we could get in return for him. If we were only offered a 6th round pick, would you still do it? Not sure I could. There is a lot of talk on this board about Turner hitting 29 and all the carries that he's had the last 3 years, so people are worried about a break down. Don't you guys think that other teams will see that as a huge concern as well? We won't get anything close to real value back for him in a trade. It might be better to let Snelling go and hope he signs a good deal & the outperforms what he signs for to get a comp pick in 2012. We might get a higher pick that way, it just doesn't provide immediate help this year.

Even though Turner isn't a bad back, I do think we can upgrade the position. I'm not as positive as those above that Snelling is the full time back we need though. I do like the idea of pairing DeAngelo Williams with either Snelling or Turner next year (with the other gone).

Guest atl.falcon4ever

As much as I like Turner I agree. Maybe even package Turner with a draft pick or something to get a defensive end. Either way running backs like Turner, who run straight up the gut take a beating, and he has some fuel left but hes starting to run on low. Need some fresher legs in the stable. I really hate to say that, being I love Michael Turner as a Falcon but yes it makes since. We should do whatever is in the best interest in the team, no matter who the player is. He has gave us some good memories and will be missed if this happens, but its best for the team if there is a good deal from some team for him.

Go Falcons......

We scored 21 points--and could/should have have scored a few more--which usually is sufficient to be competitive in a close, hard-fought playoff game. If we can find a speedy WR and RB somehow, somewhere then fine, but after the relative easy surrendering of 48 points and utter inability to pressure and tackle Rodgers and cover WR's this team needs to pour every available penny into a DE and and a CB.

Further, were I running this team, I would privately interview the next on the rise and aggressive DC. One can find both good and not so good stats to suggest keeping BVG but the simple bottom line is other than one or two interceptions by Grimes it seems for three years we are never able to stop an opponents last game drive. More so, I do not believe the defense we saw last Saturday is one iota better than the one that lost to Arizona three years ago, despite the additions of More, Jerry, Weatherspoon, Robinson, Lofton, DeCoud, Biermann, Owens, Williams and the ascension of Grimes. We lost on a bad 4th and 16 coverage three years; Saturday night was an utter and embarrassing crime scene!

Had we won the Super Bowl, would we be talking about trading Michael Turner this off-season?

I'm guessing we wouldn't. The point is, don't let the emotions of one painful loss allow you see the need for major change.

I'm not the emotional type; I'm the rational type.

My reasoning for thinking that Turner may be moved is based off of where TD came from, Turner's age, contract, and what I (and most of us) saw this ENTIRE year...not what I saw in that horrific loss to the Packers a couple of days ago. Turner didn't have a chance to get going in the Green Bay game because we were forced to deviate from our gameplan on account of getting our a$$ beat. Again, I have the rationale to know that you can't go off of one game to make drastic moves.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

I'm not the emotional type; I'm the rational type.

My reasoning for thinking that Turner may be moved is based off of where TD came from, Turner's age, contract, and what I (and most of us) saw this ENTIRE year...not what I saw in that horrific loss to the Packers a couple of days ago. Turner didn't have a chance to get going in the Green Bay game because we were forced to deviate from our gameplan on account of getting our a$$ beat. Again, I have the rationale to know that you can't go off of one game to make drastic moves.

I agree with the theory behind making the move. I just think you're fooling yourself for what you expect in return for Turner. The things you've noted, age, amount of carries, inconsistency in his running, lack of receiving skills are all noticed by other teams as well. Turner fits a specific offensive system, and there are not that many teams looking for a Turner type back. Those that are will weigh the noted factors and I seriously doubt we'd get better than a 5th round offer for Turner. We might be able to package Turner & a 2nd to move up in the 2nd round, but I'm not sure Turner & our 2nd round pick would move us into the 1st round (although if the Giants were willing......).

Ugh, it's really a tough call. Turner isn't a bad back to have. I'm also not sure what we could get in return for him. If we were only offered a 6th round pick, would you still do it? Not sure I could. There is a lot of talk on this board about Turner hitting 29 and all the carries that he's had the last 3 years, so people are worried about a break down. Don't you guys think that other teams will see that as a huge concern as well? We won't get anything close to real value back for him in a trade. It might be better to let Snelling go and hope he signs a good deal & the outperforms what he signs for to get a comp pick in 2012. We might get a higher pick that way, it just doesn't provide immediate help this year.

Even though Turner isn't a bad back, I do think we can upgrade the position. I'm not as positive as those above that Snelling is the full time back we need though. I do like the idea of pairing DeAngelo Williams with either Snelling or Turner next year (with the other gone).

This is a very tough call, because of the trade value that we might get for him. I don't know what he's worth. The reason i say this has nothing to do with his rushing stats and ability, but because of his limited skill set. Turner is a one-cut, north south pounding back. He's not going to fit all systems--particularly because he has no value in the pass game whatsoever. A lot of teams (probably majority) like their backs to be passing outlets. Three teams that stand out to me as trade partners are Arizona, NY Jets and the Miami Dolphins. Arizona because of Beanie Well's inconsistencies and Whisenhunt wants an offense like his Pitt days with a pounder and he likes vets. The Jets pairing Turner with Shonn Greene would be the offense he fits the best. Particularly since they have a nice wr corps and Turner would really be a great pounder for their style. Same for Miami. But the question is again value. Who is going to give you a 2nd or 3rd rounder? For a sixth round pick, we might as well keep him

One wild card team would be Oakland. Bush will be a FA and Davis loves fast, high profile vets. With a young McFadden in the stable, I could see him liking the idea of pairing the Burner with him. And Al has no problem paying for what he wants.

I, personally, don't think Snelling is a #1 back. Not sure he is a #2 back. He's more a short yardage, goal line utility guy. He's too much of a FB/TB tweener. Great role guy, but i don't see him carrying the load.