Folks After 40 Years I'm Hanging It Up

My dad took me to a Falcon game against PIT in 1970. Harmon Wages went off on em and immediately I was a Falcon fan. He bought me a Falcon T-Shirt that I have cherished since then. For 40 years I wore it to most Falcon games. (Farmer2 it's the one I had on at the BAL game). I accidentally ripped it on a counter top Saturday so I am gonna have to hang it up.

For anybody out there who might have thought I was giving up on the Falcons after 40 years, please look in a mirror and slap yourself. It will take way more than a GB playoff beat down for me to quit son. Trust me. I'm in it for the long haul. Win, lose or draw. I'll be here in 2026, God willing and the creek don't rise. Anybody with me?

Why would I give up now? After a back to back? Then a back to back to back? Playoffs in two out of three seasons? Best record in the NFC since 2008? Third best record in the NFL since 2008? You kiddin me right?

RISE

LOL, epic.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad took me to a Falcon game against PIT in 1970. Harmon Wages went off on em and immediately I was a Falcon fan. He bought me a Falcon T-Shirt that I have cherished since then. For 40 years I wore it to most Falcon games. (Farmer2 it's the one I had on at the BAL game). I accidentally ripped it on a counter top Saturday so I am gonna have to hang it up.

For anybody out there who might have thought I was giving up on the Falcons after 40 years, please look in a mirror and slap yourself. It will take way more than a GB playoff beat down for me to quit son. Trust me. I'm in it for the long haul. Win, lose or draw. I'll be here in 2026, God willing and the creek don't rise. Anybody with me?

Why would I give up now? After a back to back? Then a back to back to back? Playoffs in two out of three seasons? Best record in the NFC since 2008? Third best record in the NFL since 2008? You kiddin me right?

RISE

:lol: That's awesome! You know I'm with ya!

Dad took me to my first game too. It was Steve Bartkowski's home debut (from my memory). Early on he threw a 40 yard strike and I was hooked.

No quitting here either. We had a great year. I'm heartbroken, but I've built up a pretty good layer of scar tissue by now. Plus I got to bump into William Andrews on the MARTA Saturday night. Talk about reminiscing over past playoff losses with the man himself! What an experience that was.

Rock on my fellow Tarheel!

Yes i would give up and I will If we dont get rid of Ryan after this season comes up. He is not the answer the league has caught up to the kid. All teams do is shut down Turner and Snelling and Ryan showed when they do this. He cannot put the team on his back and carry them. Hey pal you can have the back to back winning seasons which dont mean sh.. If you cant even win a playoff game. This is Ryans 3rd season and he still cant win atleast one playoff game.

Funny thing is Vick won his first playoff game his first season as our starter with half the weapons Ryan has. I really would like for us to get Kevin Kolb. He destroyed us and out played Ryan. He is a really good qb. He doesnt need a run game to win. He is up for trade this season. We need to get him. If we give Ryan one more season and he still fails. Im done being a fan of this team if he isnt gone. Because he is not a championship caliber qb and has always had a favorable schedule, every since hes been here. He is a limited QB thats why MM doesnt open up the playbook more. Ryan has a weak arm and doesnt throw the deep ball well.

could you be any dumber?

Yes i would give up and I will If we dont get rid of Ryan after this season comes up. He is not the answer the league has caught up to the kid. All teams do is shut down Turner and Snelling and Ryan showed when they do this. He cannot put the team on his back and carry them. Hey pal you can have the back to back winning seasons which dont mean sh.. If you cant even win a playoff game. This is Ryans 3rd season and he still cant win atleast one playoff game.

Funny thing is Vick won his first playoff game his first season as our starter with half the weapons Ryan has. I really would like for us to get Kevin Kolb. He destroyed us and out played Ryan. He is a really good qb. He doesnt need a run game to win. He is up for trade this season. We need to get him. If we give Ryan one more season and he still fails. Im done being a fan of this team if he isnt gone. Because he is not a championship caliber qb and has always had a favorable schedule, every since hes been here. He is a limited QB thats why MM doesnt open up the playbook more. Ryan has a weak arm and doesnt throw the deep ball well.

Yeah sure we're going to get rid of Ryan, since every year he has been our QB has produced a winning season and he tied Dan Marion's mark for most wins in the first 3 years in the NFL at QB.

Can you go ahead and just quit now and not troll the boards since there is zero chance we get rid of Ryan?

CurlyBill.jpg

First off -- to the OP, I'll raise a pint in rememberance of your fallen shirt!! Cheers good sir!

To the Vicklover I am quoting... Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? Vick did some terrible things - but the worst of all was lying to his team, his coaches, and Mr. Blank. While I am happy for him his life seems to be on the up and up, a Falcon he is not and can never be. Deal with it or trade in your red and black for some kelly green. That era is gone, exciting as it was. Yes, Vick's arm is a cannon... truly, but Ryan isn't a noodle arm. You know what Ryan has that Vick doesn't? Something between his ears AND an honest work ethic. The bottom line is Ryan is OUR QB and will be for a long time.

• 7 months later...

RISE

One of the best posts ever...TRUST ME ;)

RISE

You almost had me.

You should have that shirt professionally restored then frame it and put it on the wall.

Falcons fans who measure their loyalty in decades have experienced highs and lows unmatched in pro sports. "Hope springs eternal" has become a way of life, but now there is a real reason for optimism. Thanks for sticking with your team.

Tandy - I emphasize with your situation. For many years, my father was my seatmate at Falcons games and our shared love for the team helped define our relationship. He experienced the 1998 season and I wish he was around to see his Birds become a dominant force in the NFL.

RISE

Don't worry you will have a replacement shirt that says "Falcons Super Bowl Champions" on it to wear proudly very soon :) :) .

So you were either a kid running around in a bed sheet for a shirt or you're an adult wearing a shirt that barely fits over your shoulders. Which is it?40 years and the washing machine didn't tear it up? Pull the other leg, it plays jingle bells.

LMAO. I was a pretty big kid. I'm tall but still pretty skinny.

It is a practice shirt made for shoulder pads. With cut out arms. Got Falcons across the chest in black with the old Falcon logo underneath.

It looks ratty. Especially now. Faded and torn. A couple moth holes and a few stains that won't come out. I used to wear it over another shirt on game days.

Falcon Man how the heck did you find this thread?

Hes not, why are you talking about vick ? i want Kevin Kolb to be our starter. Ryan is not better than Vick. Ryan has a better coach and more weapons than Vick ever had and he still cant win a playoff game and had 3 seasons to do it. Vick won us a playoff game his first season as a starter. Vick never got blowned out in the dome so bad everybody started leaving the game like they did Ryan LMAO. Vick passed for nearly 300 yds , had 2 tds against greenbay and only lost by 4 pts.

Your beloved Ryan on the other hand. Had three turnovers one of em being returned for a pick 6. He ONLY PASSED FOR 186 YDS AND 1 TD AND LOST BY 27+ PTS AT HOME ON NATIONAL TV IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND OUR FANS

Shut down our run game and Ryan is very bad. He got exposed dude. Live with it.

I guess Ryan is supposed to be a shut down corner/4 sack a-game DE too right? STFU dude! You just talkin stupidness now.

RISE

:D Thats the spirit 1970!!! It wont be over until most of us have assumed room temperature... always enjoy the good sobering effect you have on here my man!... Now go sew that dam jersey up right now beotch...B)

Why are you guys posting this stuff? Makes me think about how old I am. I just thought about it I went to my first game with my dad (the Bengals - I remember calling them "The Bugers") in 1975 - die hard fan ever since (OMG 36 years). My Family has had season tix ever since the team started - I had no choice I was born a Falcon. My dad and I went to the Dallas playoff heartbreaker (Still don't like the Cowboys) together and we went to Miami for the Superbowl together. I cried when we beat the Vikings to go to that Super Bowl because my Grandfather didn't get to see it and when my Father passed away this January after a bout with cancer I'll be crying when they do it this year too because they didn't get to see it. The Falcons for better or worse are just part of the fabric of my life.

RISE

Don't hang it up...frame it!!