The 5 stages of grief (after this loss)

FalconinPA

After this loss, where do you stand in the stages of grief if any

1. DENIAL- In this stage you just still can't believe that the Falcons lost this game and got embarassed this way in front of a national audience.

Example: you still refuse to think that the Falcons lost this game. You still can't accept the loss. You think that we will be playing the Bears next week

2. Anger- In this stage you may want to hurt someone or something. You may have broken your TV set or some prized falcon memorabilia during the game. You may even still be seething and want to break things. Friends that you have that are fans of others teams are irrating as **** during this stage. Asking you what happen and you guys aren't that good. A quick punch to the head is your only thought.

Examples: Man Matt Ryan sucks, we should never have drafted him. Man our corners are straight garbage. (well in the case of Owens this might be true) I am gonna switch teams, I am tired of losing. I wasted another season of my life, same ole Falcons. Fire MM and BVG!!!! I have a broken falcons mug to show mine. Happened on the pick 6

3. Bargaining- in this stage you are attempting to bargain with god. When you saw the Green Bay rout taking form, you started to lose your mind

Example- Dear God, if you let us make a comeback I will give a up a limb or perhaps my first born. If we come back, I will stop drinking on saturdays and sundays.(or at least so much)

4. Depression- in this stage you are feeling overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration and bitterness. You have a numb feeling and can't seem to get rid of it. You may also avoid watching the rest of the NFL playoffs.

Examples- You can't even turn on tv for fear of hearing about the game. You haven't left the house since the loss. You are screening your calls, because you just can't bare talking to anyone.

5. Acceptance- In this stage, you reluctantly come to accept the loss. You start to become more rational.

Examples: Well we weren't that good if you look at it. Hey I will survive, after all I am a Falcon fans. Green Bay exposed some of our weaknesses , so now we know what problems need to be addressed. And the dreaded Wait until next year, we will be back.

I have honestly went back and forth on alot of these. I was at acceptance yesterday, but think I had a relapse back into the anger stage today. Feel free to comment or add your own. Just trying to add a little fun to this morbid board right now!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anger, Acceptance, and Depression.

But the depression has gone away. I'm dealing with acceptance. But, every time someone talks about the game, I start to get angry and tell them to shut up... Mainly the Packers fans I know. <_<

But, they have left me alone, and I'm sure they realize how big a Falcons fan I am. ^_^

Edited by GridironFalcon

Acceptance. I went through them all in the first 24 hours, but you have to let it go.

Now I am more concerned about there not being football next season. It is looking very likely that we won't have to worry about losing in the playoffs next season because there won't be playoffs unless the owners put replacement players on the field.

Somehow I was already at Acceptance on the night of the loss...we just thouroughly got our ***** handed to us and I was accepting because of Rodgers Legendary performance, I took it alot better than I thought I would at the time. Since then ive relapsed into anger and depression phase, mostly at how we be blew a shot in front of a national audience and with homefield advantage and how ryan played. This was the most frustrating game ever, felt like we barely touched the ball after 2nd quarter.

What really started digging at me is the unknown, are we even going to see Falcons football next year? and if so whats saying this team will make it this far? sure they will be great again but 13-3 doesnt happen every year and the NFC is going to be tough w/ teams like the cowboys, saints all resurgent...we need to try and win the division again, fighting for wildcard is going to suck with teams like the cowboys, lions, giants, TB to name a few all possibly trying to get in along with the packers, bears, etc... still i have faith

I accept the fact that we did not play anywhere near our ability and it is a systematic failure of the owners, coaches and players to have won that game. I accept the fact that until we address a couple of deeply routed issues, which I'm and not totally sure of what they are, will not progress further than we did this year. I accept the fact that when we play our best we are a top 4 team in the NFL, but when we do not we are in the bottom half. I accept the fact that we did have a couple of breaks our way this year that probably got us the number one seed, but other teams also got breaks so it should even out. I accept the fact that there are several positions where we much improvement.

I also accept the fact that I am pizzed at the way we played our last game and as a fan politely request the ownership, coaching staff and players to never let that happen again. I don't mind losing, just not like the way we did saturday. Act like you freaking want it as much as the fans.

Edited by schwarzenegger321

1 - This was not as bad as January 4, 1981. I don't know if I'll ever get over that because we had the game in hand and let it go. That was a real heart breaker.

2 - This was not as bad as losing the Superbowl because it was not the Superbowl.

3 - Lack of depth/skill/talent in the defensive backfield made this one a done deal long before the clock was a factor. There was no teasing ray of hope to make winning seem plausible.

Acceptance came before the end of the game. No tears. No grief. Been there - done that - got the tee shirt. Can't wait till next year. B)

4. Depression- in this stage you are feeling overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration and bitterness. You have a numb feeling and can't seem to get rid of it. You may also avoid watching the rest of the NFL playoffs.

I'm depressed because losing so bad raised more questions than answers. Is it MS, MM, BVG, or personnel? Reluctantly, I have to point my finger at TD but I say wait to next years result to see if AB has to pull the plug. TD better have a great draft and get some stop gap free agents. Falcon fan for better or worse.

+1

I'm at 4 right now.

It just really stings that we had everything in our favor. People are gonna say, "We're headed in the right direction...there's always next year", but you have to take advantage of every opportunity you have to get to the SB. We had to win 2 HOME games to get there...and to lay an egg like we did... :angry:

Next year, other teams will get better...

Next year, we might not be as fortunate to only have 1 starter go to IR...

and so on...and so on.

The fact that we knew what was at stake and couldn't put up a better performance just makes me sad. I'll probably TRULY accept it around the time of the SB, b/c in the end only 1 team wins it all.

What's the stage called when you haven't left the Dome yet? They've stopped selling you beer, they've swept all the floors, taken up the football field and replaced it with dirt for a monster truck rally, turned off all the lights, and have just left you there with your feet thrown across the seat in front of you? The security guard doesn't even care any more, and you're just left booooing to hear your own echo in a dome filled with the ghosts of seasons long since past all coming to similar abrupt endings of dreams unfulfilled. That's the stage I'm in. :(

<Sent via DROID from the Georgia Dome>

The night of the loss is pure ANGER, and there was no way around it. I was furious.

The 2nd and 3rd day is depression. I can't get the visuals out of my head. By day #4 i will accept the loss, and move on.

So I suppose today is deppression day #2.... However I am ahead of schedule. I have accepted the loss and trying to look at the positives of the 2010 season. It was a great ride. One of the most fun seasons I have had as a Falcon fan.