I was thinking about our offense.

The Falcons have the slowest offense in the NFL. Seriously, I was thinking about our lack of big play threats and I couldn't think of another team that doesn't have atleast one speed guy. We don't have one not one!!! Roddy isn't really a big play theat, he's a physical well rounded receiver who attacks you short-intermediately. Gonzalez doesn't have the speed to get down the seam anymore, Gonzalez is also a short-intermediate guy.

Jenkins- no

Finneran- **** no

Douglas- more quick than fast, he actually runs about a 4.6 (honestly he's not even worth mentioning).

Weems- no, and doesn't get any play time

I've thought about every team and we're the only one that doesn't have a speed wr. It's really quite sad.

I seriously challenge anyone to name just one team in the NFL without a deep threat speed guy.

Edited by jlaw 1500

Jenkins and Roddy are both very fast and we don't use them right. If Roddy gets behind coverage no one ever catches him and Jenkins can run as fast if not faster.

We need to learn how to use their speed to get YAC

Yup, we need more YAC.

I could be wrong but weren't we close to the bottom of the league in YAC this year?

Jenkins and Roddy are both very fast and we don't use them right. If Roddy gets behind coverage no one ever catches him and Jenkins can run as fast if not faster.

Jenkins is a straightline guy and he requires build up to get to speed. He is a possession guy. He has no YAC ability. Roddy has explosiveness and speed. But he's like anyone else, if you double or triple him, he's going to be less than effective.

I think he means explosive receivers. When you look at other teams they have receivers that can just run by everyone. We have speed but not that kind of speed. We need someone who can just flat out run and catch. Stretching the defense and moving the safetys back would open up crossing routes and screens. We don't have this element to our offense right now. I hope we can get maybe two speed guys. That would be awesome.

Umm both Jenkins and Roddy run around a 4.48. They both are no deep threat, and Jenkins is a long strider so it takes him longer to accelerate. I've never seen either really smoke someone because of pure speed, I've seen Roddy get behind coverage before but it hasn't been because of speed.

I think he means explosive receivers. When you look at other teams they have receivers that can just run by everyone. We have speed but not that kind of speed. We need someone who can just flat out run and catch. Stretching the defense and moving the safetys back would open up crossing routes and screens. We don't have this element to our offense right now. I hope we can get maybe two speed guys. That would be awesome.

Thank you, this is exactly like I meant. Do we have anyone that can flat outrun corners downfield, and split the safety for a touchdown. Something like Jacoby Ford did if you saw that raiders-cheifs game.

I thought White and Jenkins were considered fairly fast.

I think that Douglas and Weems are considered very fast.

Also Norwood and Smith out of the backfield is said to be fast, but smith does not seem to be able to hold catch.

Finneran and Meier are considered more of position receivers.

Also Snelling, Norwood and Ovie can catch. Turner is ok.

I do not know about Strickland, Buckley, or Harvey.

I just do not see Douglas and Weems being used a lot at WR.

I know they are the better WRs but I see too much dependence on just White, Gonzales and Jenkins.

yeah but jenkins only runs one route.. down and out

That's it. Jenkins is actually the fastest WR on the team, but his speed only knows one direction, whereas Roddy and (before he was injured) HD are able to accelerate out of routes.

If we can get a slot receiver (whether HD fully recovered or someone else) who can make things happen in the middle of the field, Jenkins will be a deep threat frequently. The problem is, we don't attack the middle of the field except with Gonzo.

I'd love to get Randal Cobb in the 2nd round to be our slot WR and upgrade Douglas. Any fan of the SEC knows all about Cobb.

In the 3rd or 4th round I'd love to get a speedy and shifty RB like Noel Devine, J. Rodgers, D. Scott, or D. Locke.

Jock Rogers is exactly who I want, Rogers is super fast and VERY explosive. Cobb is good too, he kinda goes down very easy, and he's not as elusive as you would think. Cobb we'll be a good receiver, but not a great one.

I would also love to get Noel Devine as our speed and receiving back. Getting Rogers and Devine would instantly greatly improve our offensive speed.

Roddy, HD and Jenkins are fast enough to get deep. Don't make me pull up about 100 deep balls to them from Ryan, Vick, Leftwich, Harrington and Redman.

The Oline has to give Ryan time to go deep. Ryan has to make the right read and deliver a catchable ball. The receivers have to catch the dam ball. I could pull up another 100 plays where one or more of those keys were not executed.

With that said, it would be nice to add another WR to the mix. Someone that is explosive. Who exactly should that be folks? A.J. Green? Steve Smith? Who? And how exactly do you think we can pick them up? Jus askin.

Umm both Jenkins and Roddy run around a 4.48. They both are no deep threat, and Jenkins is a long strider so it takes him longer to accelerate. I've never seen either really smoke someone because of pure speed, I've seen Roddy get behind coverage before but it hasn't been because of speed.

Look at Roddy's 90 yard TD two years ago against the 49er's. Jenkins flies up on Roddy who is going full force and he slows down to help block for Roddy to get the TD. Guy has some serious speed when he tops out.

Jenkins has all kinds of speed, but shakey route running and hands. Roddy isn't a deep threat WR. His strength and excellent hands and route running are what makes him productive.

The rest could be gone tomorrow and no one would notice. We are desperate for a player who can consistently stretch the field. One to consider is Plexico. I have no interest in rehashing if he's an off-field problem. The fact is, he can dominate a game getting deep. Since he can likely be had for a reasonable amount of money, he makes good sense.

This is the reason I and others on this MB were going nuts when Dez Bryant was on the board and we didn't take him. It was a STUPID move by our FO, and it's time everybody just admitted it. Spoon is a decent player, but decent players could've been had in FA or in later rounds. We passed up on a sure fire star and that was the beginning of my questioning the 'genius' of our FO and if the priority of this team is winning or building a boys' choir. This offseason will tell the tale...

Roddy, HD and Jenkins are fast enough to get deep. Don't make me pull up about 100 deep balls to them from Ryan, Vick, Leftwich, Harrington and Redman.

The Oline has to give Ryan time to go deep. Ryan has to make the right read and deliver a catchable ball. The receivers have to catch the dam ball. I could pull up another 100 plays where one or more of those keys were not executed.

With that said, it would be nice to add another WR to the mix. Someone that is explosive. Who exactly should that be folks? A.J. Green? Steve Smith? Who? And how exactly do you think we can pick them up? Jus askin.

First of all, the o-line is the last thing wrong with this offense. For most of the year the o-line has played great and given Ryan plenty of time to throw the ball, he had some pressure saturday sometimes but it still wasn't that bad.

HD isn't fast at all, he's more quick than fast his actually straight line speed is around a 4.6. This is getting so Fing annoying with people keep trying to tell me Jenkins and Roddy are explosive. Jenkins is a possesion guy who only has good top straight line speed, but doesn't accelerate fast and isn't shifty. And Roddy is more explosive but still isn't a flat out burner.

Harrington, Leftwich, and Redman haven't thrown alot if any deep balls at all, so yea please pull them up. Vick has thrown some deep balls to Roddy, and he can sometimes get deep but he's never flat out burning people with speed. I guess no ones noticed that Roddy has bulked up some since coming into the leauge and kinda lost some speed.

They're plenty of speed guy available in the draft, and no ones talking about A.J Green. I don't even know what the **** you're talking about with Steve Smith.

I honestly think if we get a WR there is one guy who will be an instant upgrade to the entire core, he might not be explosively fast but he is like Roddy V2, hes got awesome hands, great rout running and has an insane vertical.

The only problem is he hasnt said he is entering the draft yet and he might stick around South Bend for another year.

If Michael Floyd is on the board at our pick, we need to take him.

Jenkins has all kinds of speed, but shakey route running and hands. Roddy isn't a deep threat WR. His strength and excellent hands and route running are what makes him productive.

The rest could be gone tomorrow and no one would notice. We are desperate for a player who can consistently stretch the field. One to consider is Plexico. I have no interest in rehashing if he's an off-field problem. The fact is, he can dominate a game getting deep. Since he can likely be had for a reasonable amount of money, he makes good sense.

This is the reason I and others on this MB were going nuts when Dez Bryant was on the board and we didn't take him. It was a STUPID move by our FO, and it's time everybody just admitted it. Spoon is a decent player, but decent players could've been had in FA or in later rounds. We passed up on a sure fire star and that was the beginning of my questioning the 'genius' of our FO and if the priority of this team is winning or building a boys' choir. This offseason will tell the tale...

Spoon is alot more than a "decent player", he's a very good linebacker and was very good for us when on the field. Spoon would have more impact for us than Dez would have, who would have been our number 3 threat after Roddy and Gonzo. If you wanna get made at passing on any WR it should have been Jacoby Ford, he's a better deep threat (although Dez is more rounded), and a explosive returner. Ford could have been had in the third round and really broke out at the end of the year, he's looking like he's gonna be one of their best wideouts.

Spoon is alot more than a "decent player", he's a very good linebacker and was very good for us when on the field. Spoon would have more impact for us than Dez would have, who would have been our number 3 threat after Roddy and Gonzo. If you wanna get made at passing on any WR it should have been Jacoby Ford, he's a better deep threat (although Dez is more rounded), and a explosive returner. Ford could have been had in the third round and really broke out at the end of the year, he's looking like he's gonna be one of their best wideouts.

Spoon has great ability but his lack of awareness, the game moving 1000MPH for him, and not being good blitzing or covering this stage of his career has hurt him this year. He's the only defender on our team with elite potential. The only one.

You're totally right, but I'm finally on board with needing to upgrade the rest of our WRs. I think Jenkins could be upgraded on the outside, and I really like the recent trend of bigger guys going into the slot. Maybe Douglas will improve with a year back from his knee injury, but frankly, he didn't show enough this year to give be a lot of optimism. I wouldn't mind using our 2nd rounder on a WR, but we also need OT and DE either early or in FA, so we'll have to see where priorities lay.

Norwood will be back off IR next year.

So? He'll be back on IR too, unless we cut him... which we should.

Spoon has great ability but his lack of awareness, the game moving 1000MPH for him, and not being good blitzing or covering this stage of his career has hurt him this year. He's the only defender on our team with elite potential. The only one.

I also think William Moore and Peria Jerry have elite potential. Peria should blow up next year since it's his second yr back, and it's always the second year when players come back 100%. I also look for Spoon to be alot better next year.

I honestly think if we get a WR there is one guy who will be an instant upgrade to the entire core, he might not be explosively fast but he is like Roddy V2, hes got awesome hands, great rout running and has an insane vertical.

The only problem is he hasnt said he is entering the draft yet and he might stick around South Bend for another year.

If Michael Floyd is on the board at our pick, we need to take him.

Personally, I don't feel good about taking small school players in the first round. I'll grant, however, I don't know the first thing about the guy. I'm just speaking generally.

The Falcons have the slowest offense in the NFL. Seriously, I was thinking about our lack of big play threats and I couldn't think of another team that doesn't have atleast one speed guy. We don't have one not one!!! Roddy isn't really a big play theat, he's a physical well rounded receiver who attacks you short-intermediately. Gonzalez doesn't have the speed to get down the seam anymore, Gonzalez is also a short-intermediate guy.

Jenkins- no

Finneran- **** no

Douglas- more quick than fast, he actually runs about a 4.6 (honestly he's not even worth mentioning).

Weems- no, and doesn't get any play time

I've thought about every team and we're the only one that doesn't have a speed wr. It's really quite sad.

I seriously challenge anyone to name just one team in the NFL without a deep threat speed guy.

The Packers don't really have any deep threat speed guys...

Jennings is their fastest receiver and he and Roddy White are basically the same at speed.

Personally, I don't feel good about taking small school players in the first round. I'll grant, however, I don't know the first thing about the guy. I'm just speaking generally.

I don't know if you can call Notre Dame a small school. But taking Michael Floyd will be a waste of a pick, he's not very fast and will struggle to separate in the NFL. In college he pretty much ran decent routes, outsized people, and caught jump balls. He'll be a slower, more physical Jenkins with slightly better route running.