If we took a QB that had lots of upside in 2011 draft

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Is there anyone 5th round down that we could get to give us some depth at the QB position? Chris Redman is getting older every year. And I know nothing about JP Wilson except he went un-drafted and played for Alabama. Is here our future backup. I do not ever want to waste a draft pick, but we should look at getting a guy that has quality potential to be great 5th round or later if the Falcons feel JP Wilson is not that guy.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I dunno, truth is thier are just soooo many more dire pressing needs than using a pick on a backup qb. It comes down to whether or not you still have faith in Ryan (And personally I'm not even close to giving up on that guy)

No I love Ryan, but should he get hurt just want the best young back up we can get to groom and maybe get some compensation for him like we did Matt Schaub. Then if that happens go get another QB to groom. When Ryan goes down or his days are up, want to be like Packers and not skip a beat. Just thinking if we saw the right guy they might draft someone 5th round or later.

Is there anyone 5th round down that we could get to give us some depth at the QB position?

I'm all for it and have said as much in another post and another forum.

And, it is not just about having a better back-up. Matty Ice needs to feel some heat in camp and would be better for it (BTW; will there be camp?)

Edited by Rocky's DADDY

No I love Ryan, but should he get hurt just want the best young back up we can get to groom and maybe get some compensation for him like we did Matt Schaub. Then if that happens go get another QB to groom. When Ryan goes down or his days are up, want to be like Packers and not skip a beat. Just thinking if we saw the right guy they might draft someone 5th round or later.

The Packers are a pretty bad example, as the guy they had to keep from skipping a beat was drafted in the 1st round. Heck, Schaud wasn't a late round pick either. We took him in the 3rd.

I see where your coming from but I'm just not seeing where that might come into play THIS draft. Remember there are always plenty of hidden gems in the later rounds.

We still need

- At least 1 defensive END

- A number 2 and 3 reciver

- Depth at corner ( Get a legit nickle)

- A left tackle or depth on the Oline

- Another running back

- Depth at safty

- A young TE (epecially if Gonzo retires)

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Maybe for the 2012 or 2013 drafts.

I'm all for it and have said as much in another post and another forum.

And, it is not just about having a better back-up. Matty Ice needs to feel some heat in camp and would be better for it (BTW; will there be camp?)

As far as I know work ethic was never his problem. You could argue talent or maybe inexperience but he's not a lazy guy.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I see where your coming from but not in this draft. But I'm just not seeing where that might come into play THIS draft. Remember there are always plenty of hidden gems in the later rounds.

We still need

- Another running back

- Depth at safty

Yes I agree, and maybe we do not go that route. But QB prospects from the 5th round on, even an un drafted one with a super high ceiling. Just not saying we go that route but if we did, who do you think might be a few possibilities to give all 3 quarterbacks or at-least our #2 and #3 QB's some competition. Are you high on anyone or think someone would be a steal. I know QB is not much of a need so thats why I say address it in later rounds if we do. Just wanted you guys to throw some names out there that might be there from 5th round on that could possible even beat out Redman for the #2. If Ryan was to go down one year like Brady did, we need our Matt Cassell or someone better than Chris Redman in my honest opinion. So any prospects you guys got in mind?

I see where your coming from but not in this draft. But I'm just not seeing where that might come into play THIS draft. Remember there are always plenty of hidden gems in the later rounds.

We still need

- Another running back

- Depth at safty

There's nothing wrong with Mike Jenkins; he was a BRIGHT spot Saturday night. That guy gets an unwarranted bad rap on these boards.

I say we sign Champ Bailey and move Grimey to Nickel. He'd give DRob a run for the starting position.

Everything else you mentioned ARE legitimate needs, but the offensive lack just might be Coordinator...

Guest atl.falcon4ever

O.K. I no Walter Football is not the most reliable place to go. But its late so I looked at were they had the QB's rated. So out of these Q.b.'s do you think any of them we could get and if so would the be better than Chris Redman or JP Wilson at the least?

Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware

Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.84.

Projected Round (2011): 3-5.

10/1/10: Devlin is probably the toughest quarterback in college football right now. He fractured his left wrist, and returned to play two weeks later against Richmond going 14-21 for 240 yards. Devlin's production in his first two games was mediocre only throwing for a 6.3 YPA against West Chester and South Dakota State.

3/29/10: As a junior at Delaware, Pat Devlin threw for 2,664 yards, 16 touchdowns and nine picks on a 7.7 YPA and 64.0 completion percentage. He boasts a strong arm and could be a first-round pick with a solid senior campaign.

2/4/09: Pat Devlin doesn't have much playing experience, thanks to Darryl Clark, but he possesses a rocket arm. He transferred over to Delaware in hopes of becoming the next Joe Flacco. With two strong seasons, Devlin could be a first-round pick in 2010.

Tyrod Taylor, QB/WR, Virginia Tech

Height: 6-1. Weight: 206.

Projected 40 Time: 4.52.

Projected Round (2011): 5-7.

10/1/10: Tyrod Taylor is certainly not a quarterback prospect you want to hang your hat on, but he's one of the better options in the later rounds if you are looking for a backup at the next level. He is very mobile, athletic and has a solid arm to make all the throws. He needs to be coached up at the next level, but he is worth taking a flier on in Rounds 5 or 6. Taylor has notched 66 percent of his completions for a 10.0 YPA on the year thus far.

3/29/10: A short quarterback who completed only 56 percent of his passes in 2009. On the bright side, he threw only five picks and maintained a 9.5 YPA.

Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada

Height: 6-6. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.68.

10/1/10 : Kaepernick has a big arm, prototypical size, and plenty of athleticism, but he also has an awkward, slow release as well as horrible passing mechanics overall. His accuracy is a little erratic as well, but some coach will think they can turn him around late in the NFL Draft.

3/29/10: Has nice size and athleticism, but Nevada's goofy offense hasn't prepared him for the pros at all. In 2009, Kaepernick compiled 2,052 yards, 20 touchdowns and just six picks, but also had a mediocre YPA (7.3) and completion percentage (58.9).

Jerrod Johnson, QB, Texas A&M

Height: 6-5. Weight: 229.

Projected 40 Time: 4.64.

10/1/10: Jerrod Johnson had a 11-of-34, 194-yard performance against Florida International. There are no excuses here - Texas A&M is supposed to be a far superior team and you simply can't be this bad against FIU and expect to go in the mid rounds. We need to see great improvement out of Johnson before moving him up the rankings.

3/29/10: The 2011 version of Jarrett Brown. Jerrod Johnson has tons of upside, but is very raw and doesn't know how to play in a pro-style offense. As a junior, Johnson threw for 3,579 yards, 30 touchdowns and eight interceptions on a 7.2 YPA and 59.6 completion percentage.

Scott Tolzien, QB, Wisconsin

Height: 6-3. Weight: 205.

Projected 40 Time: 4.85.

10/1/10: Tolzien reminds us a lot of John Beck when he came out of Brigham Young. He's smart and efficient, and has great timing, but he also has poor arm strength which really limits his ability to make plays at the next level. Tolzien has potential as a backup because he is a good decision maker and could possibly be a reliable veteran in time.

3/29/10: A first-year starter, Scott Tolzien shined in Wisconsin's pro-style offense, throwing for 2,705 yards, 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. His YPA (8.2) and completion percentage (64.3) were very good.

Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.74.

3/29/10: Andy Dalton really improved as a junior, throwing for 2,756 yards, 23 touchdowns and eight interceptions. His YPA (8.5) and completion percentage (61.6) were solid.

Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

Height: 6-2. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.94.

Projected Round (2011): 6-FA.

3/29/10: Should be a solid backup quarterback in the NFL. He did a great job managing Alabama's games, throwing 17 touchdowns to only four interceptions. His completion percentage (60.9) and YPA (7.7) of course won't blow you away.

Case Keenum, QB, Houston

Height: 6-1. Weight: 210.

Projected 40 Time: 4.83.

Projected Round (2011): 6-FA.

9/29/10: Case Keenum suffered a torn ACL in week three and this really hurts his draft stock. He looks like nothing more than a late-round pick or free agent at this point.

3/29/10: Case Keenum threw for 44 touchdowns and 15 interceptions on a 8.1 YPA and 70.2 completion percentage. He's a system quarterback and a mid-round prospect.

Kevin Riley, QB, California

Height: 6-2. Weight: 224.

Projected 40 Time: 4.66.

Projected Round (2011): 7-FA.

3/29/10: A pro-style quarterback who notched 2,850 yards, 18 touchdowns and eight picks on a 7.5 YPA in 2009. His completion percentage (54.7) was depressing. Oh, and Todd McShay thinks Riley is too short.

Adam Weber, QB, Minnesota

Height: 6-3. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.90.

3/29/10: Really struggled as a junior, throwing more picks (15) than touchdowns (13). His completion percentage of 52.0 was dreadful.

Ben Chappell, QB, Indiana

Height: 6-3. Weight: 235.

Projected 40 Time: 4.95.

3/29/10: Ben Chappell threw for 2,942 yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior, but also had 15 interceptions and a 6.9 YPA.

Taylor Potts, QB, Texas Tech

Height: 6-5. Weight: 218.

Projected 40 Time: 4.96.

3/29/10: Taylor Potts compiled 3,440 yards, 22 touchdowns and 13 picks on a 7.3 YPA and 65.7 completion percentage in Mike Leach's system. It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to Tommy Tuberville's scheme.

Mitch Mustain, QB, USC

Height: 6-3. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

Projected Round (2011): FA.

3/29/10: Mitch Mustain may have trouble finding playing time in the next two years. He has the potential, however, to be drafted late, a la Matt Cassel.

Zach Frazer, QB, Connecticut

Height: 6-4. Weight: 231.

Projected 40 Time: 4.81.

Projected Round (2011): FA.

3/29/10: Disappointed in 2009. Hobbled by a knee injury, Zach Frazer had a 10-9 TD-INT ratio, a completion percentage of 53.2 and a YPA of 6.7.

8/5/09: Will take over as the full-time starter in 2009. As a sophomore, Zach Frazer threw for 536 yards and two touchdowns, but also was responsible for six picks.

Yes I agree, and maybe we do not go that route. But QB prospects from the 5th round on, even an un drafted one with a super high ceiling. Just not saying we go that route but if we did, who do you think might be a few possibilities to give all 3 quarterbacks or at-least our #2 and #3 QB's some competition. Are you high on anyone or think someone would be a steal. I know QB is not much of a need so thats why I say address it in later rounds if we do. Just wanted you guys to throw some names out there that might be there from 5th round on that could possible even beat out Redman for the #2. If Ryan was to go down one year like Brady did, we need our Matt Cassell or someone better than Chris Redman in my honest opinion. So any prospects you guys got in mind?

Off the top of my head. And just to disclaim, I have no idea where most of these guys are projected to go and am not a pro evauator by any means. Not even sure if some of these guys are coming out.

Scott Tolzien (Wisconsin)

Andy Dalton (TCU)

Jerrod Johnson (A&M)

Russell Wilson (NC State)

Robert Griffon (Baylor)

Greg McElroy (Bama)

Cam Newton (Auburn)

Jake Locker (Washington)

Kellen Moore (Boise St)

Christian Ponder (FSU)

T.j Yates (UNC)

And plenty of more I'm sure

EDIT: Actually scratch Ponder I think his shoulder is blown out or something.