Mike smith needs to take responsibility

You remember when Thomas Dimitrov and the falcon brain trust chose little accomplished Mike Smith a coach with a defensive pedigree, over at the time easily the best defensive coordinator in the league (yes rex ryan of the ravens). Smith Had been saying all the right things, but hasn't really proven enough to show that he can put out a championship winning product.

On the defensive side, which Smith is known for, the numbers have been a traversy other than points scored, not to mention the defense has never stopped an elite team in his tenure, EVER. Over the three year period the leaky defense has been abused and shredded by every capable NFC east team, The pats, the saints, Aaron rodgers, and Kurt warner. Namely the pass defense has been our achilles heal, and smith the head coach did little to rememdy the situation despite fans pleading and begging to do so. He snagged a top corner (robinson) a season late, and has kept brian van gorders "bendover and hope you don't break" dinosaur schemes in place even though it has been a fact they don't work. To make matters worse the defense hasn't shown it gelled enough to be a top defense in both the season this year, or in the playoffs regardless of the talent level on it (decoud, moore, spoon, lofton, babs, abraham, grimes, robinson).

What adds insult to injury is Smith's hard headedness and inability to both adapt, or put his players in the best schemes to maximize their talent ability. His vanilla cover twos, nickle packages, and ill advised attempts to stop a clear cut run heavey scheme with only 5-6 men in the box have cost this team dearly.

Yes Brian Van Gorder maybe directly responsible for the terrible outcome, BUT it is smith's scheme. It took rex ryan one exact season to turn the jets into a top defense, and in year two they are known for taking on their coach's defensive personality and brilliance. In the meantime here we are again listening to the worlds smallest violin, begging Mike smith to get ryan a few desperately needed wide recievers, a capable defensive end, and to implement an aggressive strategy on defense

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Smitty won Sporting News COY two times in three years because he sucks. :blink:

Get a life dude. We are only THREE seasons into a complete overhaul. We were lucky to achieve what we did this year. None of us expected to be where we are today with this team. We have a lot of things to look forward to with this franchise. SB's aren't won overnight.

He's vastly overrated though, he's supposed to be a great defensive coach and we don't have a "great defense" its arguably even mediocre. Not to mention our strength of schedule was pretty weak.

Smith has alot to prove in his 4th season, we're still playing soft defensive, and our offense has absolutely no quickstrike capability.

He's vastly overrated though, he's supposed to be a great defensive coach and we don't have a "great defense" its arguably even mediocre. Not to mention our strength of schedule was pretty weak.

Smith has alot to prove in his 4th season, we're still playing soft defensive, and our offense has absolutely no quickstrike capability.

Wake up our defence is very young and must be given time to develop all these elite defenses are built over a number of years not flash in the pan overnight type stuff.As for MS being overated seriously are you even a Falcons fan.Theres only one other coach in the league that has won more games than MS over the last 3 years that would be Bill Bellichek so I don't no where your getting overated from.

I mean the Falcons staff have been picked as the Pro-Bowl staff so are they overated aswell or what..Jesus I really wonder about some people 13-4 we went this season not 4-13 please wake the F**K Up.

WTF! Before we played the Panthers this year, we had the best record in the NFL and the hardest strength of schedule and strength of victory.

You remember when Thomas Dimitrov and the falcon brain trust chose little accomplished Mike Smith a coach with a defensive pedigree, over at the time easily the best defensive coordinator in the league (yes rex ryan of the ravens). Smith Had been saying all the right things, but hasn't really proven enough to show that he can put out a championship winning product.

On the defensive side, which Smith is known for, the numbers have been a traversy other than points scored, not to mention the defense has never stopped an elite team in his tenure, EVER. Over the three year period the leaky defense has been abused and shredded by every capable NFC east team, The pats, the saints, Aaron rodgers, and Kurt warner. Namely the pass defense has been our achilles heal, and smith the head coach did little to rememdy the situation despite fans pleading and begging to do so. He snagged a top corner (robinson) a season late, and has kept brian van gorders "bendover and hope you don't break" dinosaur schemes in place even though it has been a fact they don't work. To make matters worse the defense hasn't shown it gelled enough to be a top defense in both the season this year, or in the playoffs regardless of the talent level on it (decoud, moore, spoon, lofton, babs, abraham, grimes, robinson).

What adds insult to injury is Smith's hard headedness and inability to both adapt, or put his players in the best schemes to maximize their talent ability. His vanilla cover twos, nickle packages, and ill advised attempts to stop a clear cut run heavey scheme with only 5-6 men in the box have cost this team dearly.

Yes Brian Van Gorder maybe directly responsible for the terrible outcome, BUT it is smith's scheme. It took rex ryan one exact season to turn the jets into a top defense, and in year two they are known for taking on their coach's defensive personality and brilliance. In the meantime here we are again listening to the worlds smallest violin, begging Mike smith to get ryan a few desperately needed wide recievers, a capable defensive end, and to implement an aggressive strategy on defense

Is there any way to nominate this for "Post of the year"??!!! Thank you for not being a biased homer, and stating the facts about this STUBBORN, CONSERVATIVE, OLD-FASHIONED coaching staff. Trust tho, you'll be negged to Hades by these BLIND LOYALISTS on this board who believe that it is inhumane to criticize your own team if youre a fan....

WISE UP IN 2011!!!

love my team and will always support them, but ive grown tired of the "process" and well we will definately learn from this and be better. NO thats not what i wanna hear, i wanna hear how come we played so crappy!!!!!! i wanna hear why the packers didnt punt all night...... :(

Did you not watch the game? Why do you think they didn't punt?

Rex Ryan

**** Lebeau

Rod Marinelli

Dom Capers

Brian Van Gorder

One of these things...is not like the others.

You can do A LOT of awesome things on the defensive front when you have

Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie

Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu

Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings (not to mention Urlacher, Peppers, T Harris, etc)

Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams (not to mention the Bloodline)

in other words... GREAT press and cover CB's allow you to do a lot on defense. We just play too **** much zone coverage. I hate it!!! :(

Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings (not to mention Urlacher, Peppers, T Harris, etc)

in other words... GREAT press and cover CB's allow you to do a lot on defense. We just play too **** much zone coverage. I hate it!!! :(

While I think we have solid corners, I'll give you that Revis and Cromartie are probably the best corner tandem in the league. That said, they had trouble creating a pass rush all season. They didn't have anyone like Abe and their LBs are average. They came up with a great scheme today though.

I'd take our secondary over the Bears in a heartbeat. Especially the safeties (Manning and Harris?), Urlacher is at best marginally better than Lofton (I'll concede that Briggs is better than our OLBs), Peppers and Abe are pretty much a push and Babs is more productive than Harris at this stage. The rest of those guys on their D...nobodies.

Outside of Polamalu, that Steelers secondary is average. They do have great outside LBs and a very good NT though.

GB, I'll give them the nod. Secondary is better...Matthews, Raji & Jenkins...tough to deal with. They also had guys like Peprah and Walden filling in though.

We've got some gamers on our D. Abe, Babs, Lofton, Moore, Grimes & even Peters in his rookie season. That's enough talent to not get embarrassed like we did last night and if we had any of the D. coordinators I listed I'd bet good $ we wouldn't have.

1) Who calls our soft zone, cover2 or whatever you call it defense where you see our DB's say hello and goodbye to the WR's sprinting by?

2) Big number 2) DUNTA "ALIEN # 9" ROBINSON ISN'T WORTH HALF THAT CONTRACT!! I pray he cuts that stupid looking wig off and we change to press and see if he can play that.

and just how much did the Patriots have to say after the game? :blink: :lol: very very little.

Our Team said alot more, and Coach Smith talked after the game, and then the next morning. THE SKY DID NOT FALL!

If what they say upsets you, then quit reading it.

If you're tryng to put words in their mouths, get over it - not gonna happen.

If you were at the game and left before time expired, shame on you.

Yea man, he should be able to snap his fingers, and "poof" we should win every darn game ALWAYS ........Super Bowls are easy to win .........after all, Smith inherited the best roster in the NFL when he got here three years ago ........ :wacko:

I'm not trashing Smitty. I like him. He's been a good influence on the team, obviously. Having said that, it's hard to argue with results. Look at the HCs who are have been hired in the last few years. Ryan and Harbaugh find ways to get it done in the playoffs, not only winning playoff games, but winning them on the road. We have home field, two games from the Super Bowl, and that's what happens? Meanwhile, the Jets go on the road and beat the Colts AND Pats??

As I said, I like Smitty, but he isn't even in the same universe as Rex Ryan, and TD isn't in the same universe as the Jets FO, who identify their weaknesses and aggressively try to address them. Our FO is just like the town's attitude toward the team. Laid back, build for the future, blah blah. There is something to be said for being in a market where success is demanded every year. It focuses the mind.

While I'd love to see some new DC and OC blood in here, I'm not ready to chuck the HC. This year. If they walk out there and lose in the playoffs in 2011, or don't even make it? What then? How much mediocrity are we willing to tolerate around here?

My patience is running a bit thin, not because we didn't win, but because the HC stood up there with a straight face and actually tried to sell us on the performance of our Coordinators, when it's obvious to the entire world that they are the root of alot of our problems.

Smitty is a good guy, but loyalty to friends is going to cost him his job. Write it down...

in other words... GREAT press and cover CB's allow you to do a lot on defense. We just play too **** much zone coverage. I hate it!!! sad.gif

By the looks of this i have come to a conclusion.... Either we dont have the money to get TOP Notch players and have to settle for maybe's ( that being hopefully they will be good) or our draft picking ability and trading ability is terrible... oh and not to mention our d coach really su cks

I'm not trashing Smitty. I like him. He's been a good influence on the team, obviously. Having said that, it's hard to argue with results. Look at the HCs who are have been hired in the last few years. Ryan and Harbaugh find ways to get it done in the playoffs, not only winning playoff games, but winning them on the road. We have home field, two games from the Super Bowl, and that's what happens? Meanwhile, the Jets go on the road and beat the Colts AND Pats??

As I said, I like Smitty, but he isn't even in the same universe as Rex Ryan, and TD isn't in the same universe as the Jets FO, who identify their weaknesses and aggressively try to address them. Our FO is just like the town's attitude toward the team. Laid back, build for the future, blah blah. There is something to be said for being in a market where success is demanded every year. It focuses the mind.

While I'd love to see some new DC and OC blood in here, I'm not ready to chuck the HC. This year. If they walk out there and lose in the playoffs in 2011, or don't even make it? What then? How much mediocrity are we willing to tolerate around here?

My patience is running a bit thin, not because we didn't win, but because the HC stood up there with a straight face and actually tried to sell us on the performance of our Coordinators, when it's obvious to the entire world that they are the root of alot of our problems.

Smitty is a good guy, but loyalty to friends is going to cost him his job. Write it down...

I'm with you 100%, but I'm truly hoping Smitty is not going to go the route of Jim Mora with the loyalty thing. I would not expect him to call out his coordinators right after the loss. He needs time to sit back, calm down, and evaluate their performances this season. I still don't think he's going to make a decision this year to get rid of either of them but I can only hope.

you gotta work with what you got, rex ryan went to a team that had some real good defensive players that are the foundation of that defense to this day. guys like revis, shaun ellis, david harris, calvin pace and he was able to bring a stud FA from baltimore in bart scott.

the only good defensive player thats still with us when smitty got here is abe... and he brought along the medicore FA peterson from jacksonville.