Three Year Plan

Tallahassee

Right after Blank hired TD, our new GM mentioned a 3-year plan for the Falcons. He believed it would take that long, building primarily through the draft, to turn this team around and make the playoffs. During a time when I fully expected our team to go through some awful growing pains, we've actually made the playoffs twice and had a winning season every year.

While this was an awful loss for us all, many of us need to come off the ledge. Only one team will be smiling at the end of the year. We are in a position to tweak this roster to improve for next season rather than making whilesale changes, and for a team that was expected to begin to challenge for the playoffs next year (year four of the plan), we are miles ahead of schedule, and the future is quite bright.....

Thanks guys I can't believe the doom and gloom I've seen on here the last 24 hours.Our FO and coaches have delivered in my view we are a franchise of relevance again as Arthur Bank promised 3 winning seasons in a row 2 playoff appearences in 3 years I'm pretty happy where we are at.I am disappointed we went out like we did but thats F/ball and from what I've seen of how we have developed in the last 3 years I have complete faith in the direction we are headed and I see more success on the horizon.

Very True - except I don't think we have the right people in the OC and DC

To take us to the next level

Right after Blank hired TD, our new GM mentioned a 3-year plan for the Falcons. He believed it would take that long, building primarily through the draft, to turn this team around and make the playoffs. During a time when I fully expected our team to go through some awful growing pains, we've actually made the playoffs twice and had a winning season every year.

While this was an awful loss for us all, many of us need to come off the ledge. Only one team will be smiling at the end of the year. We are in a position to tweak this roster to improve for next season rather than making whilesale changes, and for a team that was expected to begin to challenge for the playoffs next year (year four of the plan), we are miles ahead of schedule, and the future is quite bright.....

I have said this as well. As bad as last night was we are ahead of schedule. We will not shake things up too much. We will have a great draft again, add a few players via FA I dont see any of the coordinators going anywhere b/c of one game. We do need a few more pieces to be where we (as fans) want to be. We are better than any other falcons team in a 3 year period. I am happy and excited to see where we are going. Next year will be great another winning season and another playoff birth. Gone are the days of 7-9 or 8-8. And people are still not excited what does it take? I know a ring this year would have been great. We will get one. Just be patient.

Same mistakes last night that we have been seeing for years. There's no denying that.

And you don't believe our FO won't try to address these problems at all come off-season?

I swear, I know it was an important game, but I can't believe how we can have so much faith in our team and then we lose 1 game and all of a sudden we are a bottom-feeder franchise.

Things could be a whole lot worse. We could've taken a nice long dip like Detroit or Cleveland after our 2007 season. Surely, if this FO and coaching staff could pull us out of that, what would give you any reason to think that they can't do any better than a 13-3 #1 seed season?

I think we're were we need to be, but we're a couple of pieces away from being a perennial Super Bowl contender.

Who said we were a bottom feeder organization?

Th Eagles were a great team for a decade but they reached their plateau and still haven't won a championship in that timeframe. Their window has closed.

After 3 years, we shouldn't be seeing the same dumb mistakes.

I think we're were we need to be, but we're a couple of pieces away from being a perennial Super Bowl contender

Where have we heard this before? LOL

Edited by Mojo Risin

Isn't it possible that we have reached a plateau?

Nope...when this team gets that Lombardi, I promise you, it will feel better than anything other than watching your children being born. Three years ago, the Lions and Browns were the only things standing in our way of being demoted to the AFL ranks. Our QB was serving federal prison, our coach jumped ship to head up Arkansas, and we could barely win more than 4 games. 3 years later and we have 3 winning seasons and legitmate rivalries to show for it. We overcame plenty of demons this year (winning most close games on the road, losing 1 game in our division, beating the entire NFC west and 3/4 of the AFC North, 7-2 at home) and we knew we needed a few pieces to make this a complete team. Two more years to go before we've reached our plateau! GO FALCONS 2011!!!

I guess the Kansas City Chiefs are 2 pieces away from winning a Superbowl.

The Eagles thought they were.

The Panthers.

Do I have to make a list of teams that like to use blind optimism to ignore their teams failures?

When you get the chance, take advantage. There are no guarantees next year. This loss could very well change the attitude of this team.

You guys acting like we are somehow guaranteed a Superbowl are fooling yourselves.

We fans have seen this before. -_-

The Panthers.

Do I have to make a list of teams that like to use blind optimism to ignore their teams failures?

When you get the chance, take advantage. There are no guarantees next year. This loss could very well change the attitude of this team.

You guys acting like we are somehow guaranteed a Superbowl are fooling yourselves.

Nobody said we were guaranteed a Super Bowl. It's just ignorant to think that a young team (one of the youngest in the league) that went 13-3 and locked up a #1 seed in the NFC and sent the most players to the Pro Bowl than any other team are never going to see the playoffs again.

I mean seriously. You think that because we lost this game that we hit a plateau and we'll never win a playoff game ever. It took plenty of great teams a few seasons playing in the playoffs to finally turn one over. I'm very optimistic, because despite what most think we have players that our franchise is building upon. Matt Ryan still has 10+ years left with this organization and it's hard to think he's going to get worse than he is, because he's just outside of the elite QB race that contains 6+ year veterans.

We have gotten progressively better every year, and we broke a franchise curse of never having back to back winning seasons and with this staff and Matt Ryan at the helm we are back-to-back-to-back.

I don't see why there is any other way, but to feel optimistic about our odds. We may not win one next year, or the year after that, but I feel we're heading in the right direction of getting there, and a lot of teams can't exactly say that at this point.

Haynesworth, we need him. If you watch the Bears or any great defense. They have two impact players on their defensive line. We have two very good players in Babs and JA55 but the other rest is rotational and none are elite defensive players. We need an elite player on the line, bring Haynesworth to Atlanta. He does have his issues but he can flat out dominate when he wants. We don't have no one capable of dominating anything on defense. Offensively, we are very good, just got to improve Matt's arm (zip on his passes 15+ yards), add a talented slot guy, and get an APB.

The Panthers.

You need a big dose of optimism my friend.I agree you need to make the most of oppourtunities earn't but yesterday wasn't our day even if things had gone right for us I think Aaron Rodgers and the Packer defence had our number pure and simple and while we made alot of errors I'm not the one to go about pointing the finger because as far as I'm concerned the Falcons lost as a team and credit moust be given to a very good Packer team.

Our coaches always say you get what you earn and I see more of that next year with MS and players we have because I really don't think we are far away from taking the next step.

And I didn't say we wouldn't win in the playoffs ever.

when this team gets that Lombardi

Guess how many Eagles and Panthers fans said that over the last 10 years.

Then count how many said that after the '04 season.

They were making rookie mistakes out there. Player wise and coaching. Losing is no problem but losing like THAT is something to note.

Good luck with your optimism. We'll be having this same conversation next season.

Haynesworth? I will agree that he can be an impact player, but is he the kind of guy you really want on a team. He is the defensive equivalent of TO if not worse. Maybe worse b/c TO works out. He has all the skills you could ever want but none of the work ethic to go with it. I would love to have a AH type player without all the baggage. Maybe if we could get him cheap enough, but I dont know. I mean what kind of locker room guy is this? I just dont think he is what we are looking for, maybe I am wrong.

Haynesworth? I will agree that he can be an impact player, but is he the kind of guy you really want on a team. He is the defensive equivalent of TO if not worse. Maybe worse b/c TO works out. He has all the skills you could ever want but none of the work ethic to go with it. I would love to have a AH type player without all the baggage. Maybe if we could get him cheap enough, but I dont know. I mean what kind of locker room guy is this? I just dont think he is what we are looking for, maybe I am wrong.

Haynesworth is not a bad fit in our constant rotational defensive scheme. The reason we are so successful defensively is we aren't on the field and we rotate a lot. I am not sure about his perception presence but Atlanta has a class locker-room. Atlanta is a class organization. If he can't make it here, he can't make it anywhere. I believe in our organizational structure for AH.

Edited by #1 pick

Haynesworth is not a bad fit in our constant rotational defensive scheme. The reason we are so successful defensively is we aren't on the field and we rotate a lot. I am not sure about his perception presence but Atlanta has a class locker-room. Atlanta is a class organization. If he can't make it here, he can't make it anywhere. I believe in our organizational structure for AH.

I agree with you on being a class organization. Maybe you are right maybe this is the structure he needs around him. I just dont see them gong after a guy like that. If by some chance he did come here and could leave all the other problems behind I think talent wise he could be great, if he could get in shape. I think his ego will be deflated a bit this year after the debacle he had with the skins. That accompanied with the much smaller offers he is going to get. Another question do we have to players to keep him in check? I know Abe and Kroy could help him alot, but if he does become a distraction what do you think they would do? Reason I ask is because you dont want one person against everyone else. It tears teams apart.

I agree with you on being a class organization. Maybe you are right maybe this is the structure he needs around him. I just dont see them gong after a guy like that. If by some chance he did come here and could leave all the other problems behind I think talent wise he could be great, if he could get in shape. I think his ego will be deflated a bit this year after the debacle he had with the skins. That accompanied with the much smaller offers he is going to get. Another question do we have to players to keep him in check? I know Abe and Kroy could help him alot, but if he does become a distraction what do you think they would do? Reason I ask is because you dont want one person against everyone else. It tears teams apart.

You are asking the same questions that TD and the brass will ask. If he was cheaper, we would have went after him the when he was a FA. He just need that impact player defensively. Like Matthews is for GB. Troy P is for Pitt, Revis is for the Jets. We just have an excellent locker room, coaching staff, and leadership in the brass.

Edited by #1 pick

The Panthers.

Dude,

Why are you so sad? I don't think that you or anyone has seen the run that this team has pulled off(talkin bout falcons). The falcons have had 3 straight winning seasons. that's impressive by falcon standards. I think that the fact that we are not winning with an old team kinda bodes well for the future. when we went to the superbowl back in 98, the team was old. the defense was old. the qb was old. that was THE run for that team. This team hasn't even peaked yet!

And I didn't say we wouldn't win in the playoffs ever.

Guess how many Eagles and Panthers fans said that over the last 10 years.

Then count how many said that after the '04 season.

They were making rookie mistakes out there. Player wise and coaching. Losing is no problem but losing like THAT is something to note.

Good luck with your optimism. We'll be having this same conversation next season.

Honestly. We had a bad night. A really bad night. That's all. Every team has them, even though we picked the worst night to have one.

But we are finally moving in the right direction. This franchise has changed its culture.

Perhaps you believe PIT has a better franchise? The Pats? Baltimore? Philly? Those teams are always in the mix, always in the playoffs, but they don't win it every year. In fact, only one of them made if farther than we did.