Replace DC Brian VanGorder with ?

Well if he is "The Best in the League" would a replacement be the right move? His years of NFL experience long before coming to Atlanta, the championship defenses he has led, make him the BEST.

Look his resume, the Playoff wins, the Championship rings, the SHUT THEM DOWN DEFENSES and then tell me who might possibly rise up to Brian's level?

I personally purchased the "Brian's Guide to STOMPING OFFENSES" coaching DVD on eBay. Plan on devoting many nights with a warm cup of black coffee and Brian's coaching wizardry flowing out of my Plasma TV.

DISC 7 of the set is on "Post-Season Defenses that will make Grown Men Cry!"

Excited to see him in action Next Season!

well **** they held the pack to a lower score and didnt get there a sses handed to them by GB like we did

Regardless of what the Eagles defense did against the Packers offense in this years playoffs, here's why I don't want him:

Eagles defense from 2009 & 2010 season under McDermott:

2009 - Defense ranked 12th in total yards (321 yards/game), 19th in scoring (21.1/game)

2010 - Defense ranked 12th in total yards (327 yards/game), 21st in scoring (23.6/game)

With VanGorder, here's where we were for those two same seasons:

2009 - Defense ranked 21st in total yards (348.9 yards/game), 14th in scoring (20.3/game)

2010 - Defense ranked 16th in total yards (332.4 yards/game), 5th in scoring (18/game)

So, with your logic, we are going to replace someone in VanGorder who led our defense from a 14th ranked scoring defense in 2009 to a FIFTH ranked defense in 2010 with a coordinator whose defensive schemes gave up MORE yards and points in those same two years. Yeah, that should work perfectly fine :rolleyes: .

I'm not in a rush to rid ourselves of BVG but with McDaniels being available, we have to go get him. He is a significant upgrade from Mularkey. I was an advocate of MM's earlier but he is not proving his worth anymore. His offense is one with training wheels. Look at the offenses of the other teams in the playoffs. Explosion is everywhere. Even Sanchez looks good.

McDaniel's is chomping at the bit at our weapons. We have them, ooo do we have them and we will be getting more. McDaniel's is the reason behind the 50 TD season and Matt Cassel looking great, who had 3600+ yards. I truly think that is the explosion we are lacking. TD mentioned we are going to add more explosive/luxury pieces but that goes against Mularkey's offenses who have never been known for explosion.

Oh really? Where did he say that? I'm anxious to find out

This is a post from ATLJBO:

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

11 alive had a Falcon special at 2:30... They talked to TD about the draft and his recent draft picks..

They asked TD whats his main focus going on from here... TD said his main focus is on making the Offense and Special Team more explosive...

I'm so glad we are not satisfied with Weems averageness as a returner... I understand you can do worst (Jennings) but like Jenkins... You can do better.

But yea... I feel like we need an explosive RB that can also return kicks and an explosive WR.

TD also said he visit a couple of big schools (scouting) during the bye week.

Oh really? Where did he say that? I'm anxious to find out

If you hang out in the NFL Draft/FA forum, then you would have seen the article about his interview talking about being able to add more luxury picks to the team this year and that he wants to be more explosive.

Thanks hawkeye cuz that was a lay up

Edited by vel

Thanks hawkeye and vel.

That statement gives me a sense of optimism going into the off season and draft...

I talked about SPEED in an earlier post and that is the thing TD really stresses. I speculated that TD would address the offense this year. I guess it may be true after all...Thanks again...

well **** they held the pack to a lower score and didnt get there a sses handed to them by GB like we did

They've also had some significant injuries on defense. I like that D. It's a Jim Johnson pressure based system that any Falcons fan who's seen our QBs and RBs get stuffed regularly should appreciate...

Eagles defense from 2009 & 2010 season under McDermott:

2009 - Defense ranked 12th in total yards (321 yards/game), 19th in scoring (21.1/game)

2010 - Defense ranked 12th in total yards (327 yards/game), 21st in scoring (23.6/game)

With VanGorder, here's where we were for those two same seasons:

2009 - Defense ranked 21st in total yards (348.9 yards/game), 14th in scoring (20.3/game)

2010 - Defense ranked 16th in total yards (332.4 yards/game), 5th in scoring (18/game)

I think we just dropped in the yards rankings, because Rodgers just completed another 20yd pass...

We need someone who thinks like the Jets, Steelers or Ravens. No one else. That's why I wanted Rex when we hired Smith ( no knock on Smitty. I like him, too). Is that Rob Ryan? Is it someone who is ready to be promoted in the Jets, Steelers or Ravens organization? I don't know. I want someone who is not only concerned with a team scoring points, but thinks that every yard that is given up is something to protect like your grandma's life. I want vicious. I want a reputation for being the nastiest defense that people can face. Will we ever have that with the current DC? It's a virtual impossibility. We are the same catch and release team that I was complaining about 25 years ago...

I think we just dropped in the yards rankings, because Rodgers just completed another 20yd pass...

We need someone who thinks like the Jets, Steelers or Ravens. No one else. That's why I wanted Rex when we hired Smith ( no knock on Smitty. I like him, too). Is that Rob Ryan? Is it someone who is ready to be promoted in the Jets, Steelers or Ravens organization? I don't know. I want someone who is not only concerned with a team scoring points, but thinks that every yard that is given up is something to protect like your grandma's life. I want vicious. I want a reputation for being the nastiest defense that people can face. Will we ever have that with the current DC? It's a virtual impossibility. We are the same catch and release team that I was complaining about 25 years ago...

With the three teams that you mentioned in bold, keep in mind the following:

Steelers - D. LeBeau has been coaching that defense for the last 7 seasons (since 2004) and has been coaching in the NFL for 37 years. Each year the defense has gotten better due to continuity of the defensive scheme and adding depth.

Ravens - Have proven playmakers such as Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata and Terrell Suggs. Even with Rex Ryan left to go to the Jets, the Ravens didn't suffer as much due to the core of playmakers they already had. Regardless of the D coordinator, the Ravens defense would have still been good/excellent.

Jets - Even with the fact that Rex Ryan comes from a family of defensive geniuses, the Jets defense already had core playmakers already as well (Darrelle Revis, Brian Thomas, David Harris, Shaun Ellis). Adding Bart Scott & Jim Leonhard made it easier for Rex Ryan to succeed with this Jets defense.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this: in order to become that "vicious defense" that you crave, you need defensive playmakers and/or continuity at the coaching position. Even if we went and got a defensive coordinator, that coordinator would need time to evaluate to the players he has in order to create a scheme that he thinks would work best. Good defensive coordinators just don't fall out of the sky waiting at the doorstep of Flowery Branch.

I understand what we're all saying about VanGorder and his defense, but let's get some help at the defensive line and continuity all around before we start replacing people.

Edited by BMoreFalconsFan09

As several posters above me have mentioned, players go a long way towards determining whether a coach is a hero or a goat. For example, there have been several times this season where plays were called that should have resulted in sacks but instead resulted in missed tackles and big plays. On the other hand, I've never been completely convinced either that BVG's scheme is the best fit for the players that we have - he seems to fit the players to his scheme rather than fit the scheme to the players.

So could firing BVG and bringing in someone new make the defense somewhat better? Possibly. But would it fix all of the problems our defense has and turn it into a great unit overnight? Almost certainly not...