Ok so Matt Ryan gets a pass, and Mularkey gets ALL OF THE BLAME?

beantownfalc2

Ive seen everyone get the blame on this board except our very own starting probowl, all world, huge brained, Peyton Manning Junior. His pick six was the game turning play IMO, and pretty much deflated the team and dome. It was a swing of ten points and even Aikman said it was a play that no QB in the NFL would have been able to make. Was that Mularkeys fault?

Mularkey was known as Inspector Gadget and had a highly innovative offensive scheme a few years ago. If i was to believe this board, he suddenly went from that to ultra conservative Sean Hannity esque levels of offensive coordinator incompetence. Is it a chicken or the egg scenario? Is mularkey game planning AROUND the deficiencies of his QB or is Matt Ryan being held back by the conservatism of his coordinator?

The evidence is mounting that Matt Ryan is not exactly proficient on the accurate deep balls. Its true he has no speed burner to "stretch the field", but on the rare occasions when his WR's have beat their DB's, Matt Ryan has frequently missed his target. His "touch" on the deep balls is less Peyton Manning-esque and more like Joey Harrington on steroids. I know that people make him out to be an elite QB, but call him what he is at this point: a good dinker and dunker. That stuff doesnt work in the playoffs as shown by our playoff record as of late.

Look before the apologists get on the rag and bring out their usual propaganda i will put these factoids out:

1.) im not black

2.) Im not pining for Micheal Vick nor do i think he was a great QB

3.) No I dont think Ryan is a bad QB

I just believe that Matt Ryan is more of a game manager type and we have to look at him a different standard. We cant keep coddling him and acting like he is a 19 year old rookie from an option QB system. He was in a pro style offense for 4 years (where he made many of the same mistakes he is STILL making today), he going to his 4th year, he has adequate weapons around him (better than Aaron Rodgers: Turner is a better RB, Roddy is better than Jennings, TG is better than their TE), and he has a decent line. He is what he is at this point! He is about to be 26 and SHOULD be in the prime of his career. Offensive coordinator or not, he is not living up to expectations! We have the lowest amount of big plays by our QB IN THE LEAGUE! He has to improve!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The scheme is terrible, that's why. If you didn't see that bootleg to the left with an out route on that pick 6 play then you haven't watched many Falcons games (and in Ryan's defense, because of the rollout to his weakside White was his only option with so little field to work with). Mularkey spams out routes and curl routes every game, he overuses Turner every game which wears him down by the end of the season and runs power runs even when there are up to eight defenders in the box, and he uses the same plays in the same situations game in and game out expecting different results. The offensive scheme Mularkey has set up is predictable with little vertical threat.

Mularkey is not entirely to blame for the game last night but he shoulders a good deal of it for the offense. Ryan struggled because defenders had his targets perfectly covered and were sitting on routes, the O-line struggled because Capers knew what was coming and dialed up the right packages, Turner was unable to do much of anything. And it wasn't just last night, just look at the Saints game as well. Face it, by the end of the season good defensive coordinators had the tape of Mularkey's offense to shut it down and it doesn't matter how good your QB is, when the opposing defense knows what is coming then you're going to fail.

Mularkey himself said he reduced the playbook after the first year.

Yea but why? because Mularkey is a idiot and he just likes to not win games with our passing offense or is it because he was trying to "mask" Matt Ryans weaknesses? Im sure he didnt reduce it for his health.

Dan Reeves reduced his own playbook because YKW couldnt grasp certain reads and wasnt accurate

Bottomline:

You can change an OC and be adjusted in about a year.

If we want to upgrade our qb position, we're looking at:

1. Long odds, most top picks don't pan out

2. A top pick spent on a qb

3. Several year adjustment period as he gets used to playing in the NFL

The only real hope we has is that Ryan is being handicapped by the scheme. I honestly believe that is the case though.

No way he gets a pass. That INT before half killed the team's spirit.

But, the 5 unanswered TDs by the Packers means our defense doesn't get a pass either.

Koenen muffed a punt so he doesn't get a pass.

The only person who gets a pass for last night's game is Eric Weems and Freddie Falcon because they were the only two who didn't give up with what they were responsible for.

uummmm well considering Matt has to listen to and play according to the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR'S(ie the man who is IN CHARGE of how we move the ball) scheme then yes, id say thats fair.

My point is that he designed his scheme around Ryan. Mularkey isnt some Greg Knapp level idiot coach. He has the resume of an accomplished coach. He has had success with his schemes before, he is working with what he has. SOME of the blame has to be put at the feet of Ryan. Or is that too much to expect? Just absolve the team leader of ANY responsibility for that pick 6, or missing WR's or holding the ball too long, or checking down too much, or not putting touch on deep balls. Thats Mularkeys fault right?

Yea but why? because Mularkey is a idiot and he just likes to not win games with our passing offense or is it because he was trying to "mask" Matt Ryans weaknesses? Im sure he didnt reduce it for his health.

Dan Reeves reduced his own playbook because YKW couldnt grasp certain reads and wasnt accurate

If you understand Mularkey, you understand that he is figured out after year one and he becomes conservative and very predictable. The offense that Brady runs now is very short, quick throws to get WRs the YAC. We run all of our ish to the sideline and give the WRs no opportunity to make plays. You know its hard to throw to the sidelines compared to the middle of the field so how is he masking stuff when he is making things harder for Ryan to complete

My point is that he designed his scheme around Ryan. Mularkey isnt some Greg Knapp level idiot coach. He has the resume of an accomplished coach. He has had success with his schemes before, he is working with what he has. SOME of the blame has to be put at the feet of Ryan. Or is that too much to expect? Just absolve the team leader of ANY responsibility for that pick 6, or missing WR's or holding the ball too long, or checking down too much, or not putting touch on deep balls. Thats Mularkeys fault right?

He hasnt accomplished ish. His offense went lower in the rankings every year because teams figured him out wherever he went to coach. No one is not saying Ryan wasnt good tomorrow but yesterday showed some things that were starting to brew all season

Bottomline:

You can change an OC and be adjusted in about a year.

If we want to upgrade our qb position, we're looking at:

1. Long odds, most top picks don't pan out

2. A top pick spent on a qb

3. Several year adjustment period as he gets used to playing in the NFL

The only real hope we has is that Ryan is being handicapped by the scheme. I honestly believe that is the case though.

Thank you! thats what im getting at with this post. The reason this board is protecting Ryan so much is that we know he is our savior so to speak and while we can fire Mularkey, we cant just go to the scrap heap and get another good starting QB. The worst case scenario is that we get a Josh McDaniels and he schemes deep long routes and goes away from the running game as much and Ryan is put in the spotlight where he HAS to put the team on his back and he doesnt produce. That would crush alot of hearts

Thank you! thats what im getting at with this post. The reason this board is protecting Ryan so much is that we know he is our savior so to speak and while we can fire Mularkey, we cant just go to the scrap heap and get another good starting QB. The worst case scenario is that we get a Josh McDaniels and he schemes deep long routes and goes away from the running game as much and Ryan is put in the spotlight where he HAS to put the team on his back and he doesnt produce. That would crush alot of hearts

Dude, he threw 28 touchdowns and 9 INTS..Top 5 numbers for a QB in a simplistic passing attack. Its more about the passing plays and route combinations more than it is Ryan. Besides the throw in the endzone, who has been clearly open on a long bomb yesterday....??

Ive seen everyone get the blame on this board except our very own starting probowl, all world, huge brained, Peyton Manning Junior. His pick six was the game turning play IMO, and pretty much deflated the team and dome. It was a swing of ten points and even Aikman said it was a play that no QB in the NFL would have been able to make. Was that Mularkeys fault?

Mularkey was known as Inspector Gadget and had a highly innovative offensive scheme a few years ago. If i was to believe this board, he suddenly went from that to ultra conservative Sean Hannity esque levels of offensive coordinator incompetence. Is it a chicken or the egg scenario? Is mularkey game planning AROUND the deficiencies of his QB or is Matt Ryan being held back by the conservatism of his coordinator?

The evidence is mounting that Matt Ryan is not exactly proficient on the accurate deep balls. Its true he has no speed burner to "stretch the field", but on the rare occasions when his WR's have beat their DB's, Matt Ryan has frequently missed his target. His "touch" on the deep balls is less Peyton Manning-esque and more like Joey Harrington on steroids. I know that people make him out to be an elite QB, but call him what he is at this point: a good dinker and dunker. That stuff doesnt work in the playoffs as shown by our playoff record as of late.

Look before the apologists get on the rag and bring out their usual propaganda i will put these factoids out:

1.) im not black

2.) Im not pining for Micheal Vick nor do i think he was a great QB

3.) No I dont think Ryan is a bad QB

I just believe that Matt Ryan is more of a game manager type and we have to look at him a different standard. We cant keep coddling him and acting like he is a 19 year old rookie from an option QB system. He was in a pro style offense for 4 years (where he made many of the same mistakes he is STILL making today), he going to his 4th year, he has adequate weapons around him (better than Aaron Rodgers: Turner is a better RB, Roddy is better than Jennings, TG is better than their TE), and he has a decent line. He is what he is at this point! He is about to be 26 and SHOULD be in the prime of his career. Offensive coordinator or not, he is not living up to expectations! We have the lowest amount of big plays by our QB IN THE LEAGUE! He has to improve!

Matt Ryan has faced plenty of blame on this board for this loss. Maybe you're just not reading the right topics?

I'll agree that Matt has to improve on his accuracy on the deep balls. It has plagued us all season, but to see he's merely just a game manager is a bit ignorant.

How many elite QB's both in the NFL now and the past have won a Super Bowl in 3 season? How many have done what Matt has done in 3 season? I think a lot of people are forgetting that he's competing with 6+ year veteran QB's and he's doing quite well in holding his own. You can call him out on his age, but that is very irrelevant considering that the transition from college to the NFL is still a very big transition.

I know Matt made some dumb mistakes, and I know you can't play the "rookie" card forever, but my god the man just came off of his 3rd year almost throwing 30 TDs and only 9 interceptions with 3700 yards passing. Those are not typical game manager statistics. Not to mention he's led our team to a 13-3 record and number 1 seed this season and he played bad ALONG with the ENTIRE team (Eric Weems excluded).

I'm tired of hearing all of these idiotic posts about Matt Ryan and how he is merely a game manager or how if we don't win the Super Bowl next season we need to look for another QB and etc. Obviously, you guys don't know how the NFL typically works or how to spot a great young QB.

He hasnt accomplished ish. His offense went lower in the rankings every year because teams figured him out wherever he went to coach. No one is not saying Ryan wasnt good tomorrow but yesterday showed some things that were starting to brew all season

His resume isnt flawless but his offensive schemes have been successful. This current ATL falcons scheme is so different because its SO reliant on ball control. His Pitt teams were also like this but this current offense is run-run-pass on 3rd and short and pray that TG is open. The lack of creativity sticks out like a sore thumb and whenever we do get a little loose and air it out, Ryan throws balls 10 yards over WR's heads!

His resume isnt flawless but his offensive schemes have been successful. This current ATL falcons scheme is so different because its SO reliant on ball control. His Pitt teams were also like this but this current offense is run-run-pass on 3rd and short and pray that TG is open. The lack of creativity sticks out like a sore thumb and whenever we do get a little loose and air it out, Ryan throws balls 10 yards over WR's heads!

His offense was like this in PIT, BUF and MIA. Why do we not run crossing routes or deep in routes. We only run 3 routes on the route tree

Matt Ryan has faced plenty of blame on this board for this loss. Maybe you're just not reading the right topics?

I'll agree that Matt has to improve on his accuracy on the deep balls. It has plagued us all season, but to see he's merely just a game manager is a bit ignorant.

How many elite QB's both in the NFL now and the past have won a Super Bowl in 3 season? How many have done what Matt has done in 3 season? I think a lot of people are forgetting that he's competing with 6+ year veteran QB's and he's doing quite well in holding his own. You can call him out on his age, but that is very irrelevant considering that the transition from college to the NFL is still a very big transition.

I know Matt made some dumb mistakes, and I know you can't play the "rookie" card forever, but my god the man just came off of his 3rd year almost throwing 30 TDs and only 9 interceptions with 3700 yards passing. Those are not typical game manager statistics. Not to mention he's led our team to a 13-3 record and number 1 seed this season and he played bad ALONG with the ENTIRE team (Eric Weems excluded).

I'm tired of hearing all of these idiotic posts about Matt Ryan and how he is merely a game manager or how if we don't win the Super Bowl next season we need to look for another QB and etc. Obviously, you guys don't know how the NFL typically works or how to spot a great young QB.

I dont expect the guy to win a superbowl in his first 3 seasons, 0but to answer your question Brady and Big Ben did0, but winning a playoff game would be nice. I know he is still young but Aaron Rodgers is in his third year starting and he CARRIED that offense without a running game. Matt Ryan has the number one running game to help him and he cant seem to ever put this team on his back save a game here and there

I dont expect the guy to win a superbowl in his first 3 seasons, 0but to answer your question Brady and Big Ben did0, but winning a playoff game would be nice. I know he is still young but Aaron Rodgers is in his third year starting and he CARRIED that offense without a running game. Matt Ryan has the number one running game to help him and he cant seem to ever put this team on his back save a game here and there

Big ben was HORRIBLE in the playoffs and didnt have to carry his team in the playoffs that year. Aaron Rodgers is 6 years in the league.

Please give links to these posts giving Ryan a pass. I'd like to see that.

MM needs to be fired. Period.

Oh, and could you kindly KILL YOURSELF? That'd be great- thanks in advance!

Kill myself because i dont agree that Matt Ryan is a elite QB? this isnt a troll post, this is a football discussion post dude. Maybe i should just join in on the pity party and handle this team with kid gloves and be happy we just absorbed one of the worst losses in NFL playoff history.

Big ben was HORRIBLE in the playoffs and didnt have to carry his team in the playoffs that year. Aaron Rodgers is 6 years in the league.

3rd year starting dude. He warmed the bench his first 3 years under Favre. He didnt even throw 40 total passes in those 3 years and he is only a year or so older than Matt

and big Ben had a 275 yard game with zero turnovers in Denver when they were **** near unbeatable at home in his first season. Matt Ryan had 186 yards in garbage time at home in his third season. Im a ACC football fan (sadly) and Ryan has a habit of not showing up on the big stage. Big Ben was up and down in his first few playoff games but Matt Ryan has been mostly DOWN