We Have To Do A Better Job With Our First Round Picks

Hindsight is always 20/20. Especially when you're talking about the NFL draft. But we have left a lot on the table in the first round of the last four drafts. You could say the same about a lot of teams but I'm just concerned about the Falcons. Take a look at our last four first round picks by TD and McKay:

2007 (8) - selected Busterson who may be the biggest Top 10 DE bust in the history of the league. Could have taken Darrelle Reevis or Patrick Willis

2008 (21) - of course we took Ryan with the third pick but traded into the first round and selected Sam Baker at 21. He has nearly gotten Matt Ryan decapitated. We could have selected Chris Johnson, the scat back many think we're missing, or Mike Jenkins the corner that Dallas took

2009 (24) - went for Peria Jerry who might have the B word on his forehead as well. Some blame his injury but I'm not so sure it isn't deeper than that. We passed on Clay Matthews folks. Plus Hakeem Nicks and Ziggy Hood

2010 (19) - selected Weatherspoon at 19. Many think he will be great but I just don't see it yet. I'd say the jury is still out on him but it ain't out on Dez Bryant or Devin McCourty. Bulaga was still out there too.

Just think about what our team would look like with Darrelle Reevis, Chris Johnson, Clay Matthews and Dez Bryant instead of Busterson, Baker, Jerry and Spoon. Geez. We gotta do better.

I don't disagree about Anderson or Baker, although I could understand the reasons for the Baker pick at the time.

However, its tough to criticise the FO for drafting guys who struggler through injury. Jerry looked fine in the limited action before the serious kneee injury, and Weatherspoon was doing just fine for a rookie this year until he got hurt. Weatherspoon has been playing hurt since he came back.

cant do the woulda coulda shoulda thing. most important they got the qb right. Cause it doesnt matter you. you could have chris johnson, mathews, dez bryant on this team, if you had chad henne on this team rather than ryan, we would even be in the discussion of playoffs

Here a hint for Thomas D. Players from Primetime schools, usually end up being bigger impact players than kids from mid-tier schools. Players like Clay Matthews that play at USC are probably going to be better picks than a LB from Missouri who lead his team in tackles and had a good 40 time at the combine. Look at any all-star d player and they played for big time winning programs. Ray Lewis- miami, back when Miami was good, Polumalu- USC, Clay Matthews- USC, and the list goes on and on, you look at the players on our defense and the best players come from big time programs, Lofton-Oklahoma (prime example).

Hindsight is always 20/20. Especially when you're talking about the NFL draft. But we have left a lot on the table in the first round of the last four drafts. You could say the same about a lot of teams but I'm just concerned about the Falcons. Take a look at our last four first round picks by TD and McKay:

2007 (8) - selected Busterson who may be the biggest Top 10 DE bust in the history of the league. Could have taken Darrelle Reevis or Patrick Willis

2008 (21) - of course we took Ryan with the third pick but traded into the first round and selected Sam Baker at 21. He has nearly gotten Matt Ryan decapitated. We could have selected Chris Johnson, the scat back many think we're missing, or Mike Jenkins the corner that Dallas took

2009 (24) - went for Peria Jerry who might have the B word on his forehead as well. Some blame his injury but I'm not so sure it isn't deeper than that. We passed on Clay Matthews folks. Plus Hakeem Nicks and Ziggy Hood

2010 (19) - selected Weatherspoon at 19. Many think he will be great but I just don't see it yet. I'd say the jury is still out on him but it ain't out on Dez Bryant or Devin McCourty. Bulaga was still out there too.

Just think about what our team would look like with Darrelle Reevis, Chris Johnson, Clay Matthews and Dez Bryant instead of Busterson, Baker, Jerry and Spoon. Geez. We gotta do better.

Indeed, hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20, but I have to agree with you on this one. In fact, we have to do better in the ENTIRE draft, if you ask me. I would argue that had we drafted AT LEAST 2 of the guys you mentioned in place of the ones we took, we'd be even better than we are now!

I'm OK with trying to draft so called "good character" players, but our FO had better make D@MN SURE they can PLAY their azzes off, too!!!

We also need MORE SPEED at the skill positions, particularly on offense...We have NO ONE that invokes FEAR into opposing teams, as it relates to speed.

Edited by BirdzEyeView

I don't disagree about Anderson or Baker, although I could understand the reasons for the Baker pick at the time.However, its tough to criticise the FO for drafting guys who struggler through injury. Jerry looked fine in the limited action before the serious kneee injury, and Weatherspoon was doing just fine for a rookie this year until he got hurt. Weatherspoon has been playing hurt since he came back.

I keep hearing that about Jerry. What game did he look fine in? Don't say the MIA cause I have already broken down all of his snaps in another thread and he was basically a ghost. I know he hasn't looked as fine as Clay Matthews has.

Like I said the jury is still out on Spoon. People got enamored when he got a sack on a free run at the QB. Dude looks like he might be able to play some run defense but looks suspect in coverage to me. Again, the jury is out on him. Dez Bryant would have looked good in the red and black. McCourty too. 82 tackles, 7 picks, 17 PDs, 2 forced fumbles and a sack. As a rookie. Watch him today against the Jets.

Here a hint for Thomas D. Players from Primetime schools, usually end up being bigger impact players than kids from mid-tier schools. Players like Clay Matthews that play at USC are probably going to be better picks than a LB from Missouri who lead his team in tackles and had a good 40 time at the combine. Look at any all-star d player and they played for big time winning programs. Ray Lewis- miami, back when Miami was good, Polumalu- USC, Clay Matthews- USC, and the list goes on and on, you look at the players on our defense and the best players come from big time programs, Lofton-Oklahoma (prime example).

That's not even remotely true. And since when was Mizzou a mid-tier school? They are about to have a QB drafted #1 overall most likely.

That doesn't quite hold up. Best linebacker in the league, Willis, is from Mississippi. Your top QB's are from Michigan, Tennessee, Perdue, and California. Some of your top receivers are from UAB (Roddy), Georgia Tech (Calvin Johnson), and and Pittsburg (Fitzgerald).

focusing on big name schools backfires as much as it helps. You get overrated guys like Mark Sanchez and Brian Cushing all of the time.

We just need to make better picks. I think Weatherspoon will pan out, but the rest of the draft isn't looking so good.

I keep hearing that about Jerry. What game did he look fine in? Don't say the MIA cause I have already broken down all of his snaps in another thread and he was basically a ghost. I know he hasn't looked as fine as Clay Matthews has.

Like I said the jury is still out on Spoon. People got enamored when he got a sack on a free run at the QB. Dude looks like he might be able to play some run defense but looks suspect in coverage to me. Again, the jury is out on him. Dez Bryant would have looked good in the red and black. McCourty too. 82 tackles, 7 picks, 17 PDs, 2 forced fumbles and a sack. As a rookie. Watch him today against the Jets.

I could go out and get 9 tackles at the DT spot this season like Jerry, that was just bad bad bad