Moving to a 3-4 Defense

whitekb011

If the organization was considering moving to a 3-4, now would be the time to do it.

Things that would need to happen:

1. CBA needs to be in place by March, so we know how much time we have in the offseason to work with players (OTAs, mini-camps, offseason conditioning...)

2. New DC with NE, Pitt, Parcell type backgrounds

3. Abraham must go, will not be able to play OL in a 3-4.

4. Beirman to become a back up at OLB

5. DE's: Jerry, Anderson, Peters, Babs

6. DTs: FA or Draft pick, Lewis (plus 20 pounds)

7. OLBs: FA, Bierman, Sidburry, Weatherspoon

8. ILB's: Lofton, Nicholas, FA or Draft Pick (2 of them)

Our secondary could roughly remain the same, but we would need to add a CB or two. Safety, Coleman is gone, need some youth and speed to support.

We dont have a first class NT, none of our DE can play that olb spot you need to run a 3-4. Trust me it would take longer than you might think. I think we need move more torwards the way of the 49ers, giants defense. That 3-4, 4-3 hybrid defense.

The Packers have shown a switch to 3-4 can be done quickly. They made the change 24 months ago.

We dont have a first class NT, none of our DE can play that olb spot you need to run a 3-4. Trust me it would take longer than you might think. I think we need move more torwards the way of the 49ers, giants defense. That 3-4, 4-3 hybrid defense.

Don't disagree. I know this is not a one year fix, but if we wanted to, now is the time. I don't see us keeping Abraham or Anderson next year, regardless. So we need to replace 2 DE's. It's easier to find personnel to play OLB in a 3-4 then a true DE in a 4-3. Guys who rush the passer out of a 4-3 are very hard to find.

spoon would have to play inside in the 34, peters doesn't fit at DE in the 34 ethier, beirman/sidbury would take alot of work to get aclimated to 34, too much work it's on its way we need a new 43 DC mabey out of New York or Indy those teams run the 43 the way our players would be effective.

I don't think a transition to a 3/4 would take us long. We have players who could transition fairly easily. I'm totally on board with this. The 4-3 is DEAD! Anyone who doubts it at this point is blind.

I do think the trend is moving closer to a 3-4 overall. The rules favoring the pass have accentuated this.

But I remember the exact same debate in the 1970's. Just like I remember turning to my father as the immobile Bartkowski was sacked for the umpteenth time and saying "THE POCKET PASSER IN THE NFL IS DEAD!". Sure it is...Brady, Brees, Manning... :rolleyes:

Things go in cycles. But there're only so many ways you can line 11 guys up. What I like about the 3-4 is all the motion before the snap with guys standing up and moving around and all the confusion that generates. But that is style, not formation. You could just as easily do that with a 4-3. This isn't offense. There are no rules on defense dictating that a certain number of players must be on the LOS or in a "set" position. You can move 11 guys in a revolving circle if you want. You could put 11 on the LOS. Or if they go 5 wide, you could rush 1 and drop 10. Then they've got 4 lineman standing there with their thumbs up their a$$ and you've got every receiver double covered.

So just get a little freaking creative is all I'm asking. Don't just line up standing flat footed like statues waiting to be exploited. Which is EXACTLY what I saw last night.

If the organization was considering moving to a 3-4, now would be the time to do it.

1. CBA needs to be in place by March, so we know how much time we have in the offseason to work with players (OTAs, mini-camps, offseason conditioning...)

Our secondary could roughly remain the same, but we would need to add a CB or two. Safety, Coleman is gone, need some youth and speed to support.

We'll we could grab UGAs Defensive Coordiantor Todd Grantham, hes learned under Wade Phillips and all, he doesn't have the right personel and also him getting bi-tched at for screamiung at players, he might WANT to go back to the pros.

BVG coulkd stay but we need a 3-4 guru to help him. I agree, I think the falcons should pull the trigger and go to the 3-4. ;)

Anderson and Peters MIGHT and that's a big MIGHT be able to handle the defensive end spots but its highly unlikely, and Jerry would get destroyed.

We don't have a nose tackle

We don't have big run stuffing ends

We don't have a pass rushing outside linebacker

We don't have a defensive coordinator who coaches the 3-4

Our Head Coach is a defensive minded head coach who plays with a 4-3

I like 3-4 defenses, but starting one up will completely waste the draft picks we used on Jerry, Peters, and Weatherspoon.

Edited by JD dirtybird21