True Analysis of the Falcon Loss

SaintRay

OK guys, I had to bust your balls a little in a couple of threads, and you knew you had it coming. Some of you earned it more than others.

But seriously, the Falcons posted an amazing season going 13-3.

In the playoff loss, the problem was obvious. The defensive backfield is a huge liability still. Rodgers carved them up like a Head Chef at a Brazilian Steakhouse.

You saw this with other strong opposing passing games this season as well. You were forced to sellout in blitzes or get torched in the backfield.

Second is the complete dependancy on the running game. The league has become a passing league at the higher etchelon of the game. Think Pats, Colts, Saints. All have won recent Super Bowls. And now look at the Packers. It's become a QB league again. The Falcons still insist on a power run game and an ocassional passing game. Is Matt Ryan able to control the game when forced? The Falcons have limited strike fast capability when forced to play catchup. Yet you have all-world Roddy White and TG in the passing lanes. Against the Packers in the playoffs, it was painfully obvious. I still believe Matt Ryan is a good QB, but far from elite.

Either the Falcons address the DB issue in the draft and/or free agency or you won't advance in post season next year either. I can see sticking with Ryan but building a better passing game to extract his best and see where it gets you next year.

Well, after watching most of the game I feel the ATL QB and DLine let them down last night. The Packers ran enough to make ATL honor the run and they couldn't sack or tackle AR for nothing last night. No consistent pressure on AR = what happened last night. Now MR's weaknesses were expossed last night. The Packer covered up RW and TG and blitzed Woodson and Matthews (I told y'all to put an extra guy on CMjr). MR was overwhelmed and the game got away from him, especially after the pick 6 which in essence sealed the game. I think MR will be ok though. Your Defense, as is you won't win a championship, with a few tweaks, y'all will contended again next year.

OK guys, I had to bust your balls a little in a couple of threads, and you knew you had it coming. Some of you earned it more than others.

In the playoff loss, the problem was obvious. The defensive backfield is a huge liability still. Rodgers carved them up like a Head Chef at a Brazilian Steakhouse.

You saw this with other strong opposing passing games this season as well. You were forced to sellout in blitzes or get torched in the backfield.

Second is the complete dependancy on the running game. The league has become a passing league at the higher etchelon of the game. Think Pats, Colts, Saints. All have won recent Super Bowls. And now look at the Packers. It's become a QB league again. The Falcons still insist on a power run game and an ocassional passing game. Is Matt Ryan able to control the game when forced? The Falcons have limited strike fast capability when forced to play catchup. Yet you have all-world Roddy White and TG in the passing lanes. Against the Packers in the playoffs, it was painfully obvious. I still believe Matt Ryan is a good QB, but far from elite.

Either the Falcons address the DB issue in the draft and/or free agency or you won't advance in post season next year either. I can see sticking with Ryan but building a better passing game to extract his best and see where it gets you next year.

good post...its time to take the reins off ryan and play like champs play...turner would be more of a threat if we stretched the field and made (alot)more big plays...or at least try it...we do become pretty predictable to often...and +1 for ya

SK is well known for his thought-provoking, deeply analytical analyses when it comes to the more intellectually challenging and highly important/influential issues of the day...that is why all of the other posters here in RC defer to him when it comes to such matters! :lol:

So basically when someone needs a lesson on sucking they talk to him?

I think it was obvious the Saints showed the blue print to beat the Falcon's, force Ryan to beat you. HE CAN'T!

YOU DIDN'T DO SUCH A GOOD JOB ON THE BLUE

PRINT FOR THE DIVISION .... DID YOU? WE TOOK

IT FROM YOU ANY WAY. AND YOU JUST CAN'T TAKE

IT, CAN YOU? I'VE GOT BAD NEWS FOR YOU ....

WE'RE TAKING IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR. TOUGH AIN'T IT?

Man, that division title really took you far. Tell you what, REV, you're welcome to sit on the couch with us as we watch the season wind down. You can even sit in the middle! I've got dibs on the remote, though B)

The complete dependency on the run game is a function of our OC. I don't know if Ryan can put the team on his shoulders because Mularkey, in three years, has never put it all on him, save the Ravens game from earlier this year. I do think that we need more speed at WR. It's obvious with teams like the Taints and the Pack that you need to be at least three - four deep with dependable threats at WR. We have one great receiver, one solid one, a TE on the way out and a lot of hope so's behind them. We also have to get a speed back to be able to make a screen game effective. Simply put, when teams ask us why we don't run those...Turner is fast, but not take a screen 45 yds to the house fast anymore.

The only question I would have is which should come first, the pass rush or the secondary. Last year we were sold the bill of goods that if we got a top flight corner (pay attention kids, I didn't say elite or shut down, just top-flight) the pass rush would get better, and it did. All year though, we still played the bend, don't break style. I would say we need both a new CB(FA) to compete with Dunta and Grimey, and a DE(FA) that can take Kroy's spot until Abe finally retires. After those two FA needs, we need to draft for speed at WR and RB. Thoughts??

Congrats 12-4, 2nd guarter and done... At least we did something with our home field and NFCS crown

Now back to my point, what I mean is the Saints showed if you stop the run and force Ryan to beat you with his arm you stand a good chance of winning.. It showed with his 2 bad performances against the Saints (excuses here were the falcons didn't want to show their hand) and the Packers I guess they didn't want to show it here either.

Edited by Laugher

Congrats 12-4, 2nd guarter and done... At least we did something with our home field and NFCS crown

Now back to my point, what I mean is the Saints showed if you stop the run and force Ryan to beat you with his arm you stand a good chance of winning.. It showed with his 2 bad performances against the Saints (excuses here were the falcons didn't want to show their hand) and the Packers I guess they didn't want to show it here either.

When the lights come on in Prime Time, Ice melts! just like peter king said, RETIRE the name!

When the lights come on in Prime Time, Ice melts! just like peter king said, RETIRE the name!

The title of the thread is True Analysis of the Falcon Loss. If you're looking to take shots, there are COUNTLESS other threads you could check into. Just come with a little actual objective opinion.

LOL that's failcons fans for you winning the division is their Super Bowl

Good read, and accurate to boot.

I am Ryan's biggest fan, but I agree he doesn't have the velocity on his passes needed for some of these throws. Most of his int's happen because the db has too much time to react. The system needs to be tweaked to get the most out of him. He is so much better in the no huddle, that I don't understand why we avoid it.

The db's need improvement, but they also played soft coverage. The DC called scared and the d players played scared. Not sure if that is an easy fix.

Wow, I thought provoking football topic in RC???? I haven't seen anything like this here in awhile.

I think your analysis is somewhere in the neighborhood. It wasn't just the play on the field that did us in, when you lose by that much, coaching gets some of the blame as well. IMO, the problems that we have are a bit deeper than just a run first offense and a problematic secondary. I think the problem is with the underlying philosophies of the offense and defense. They don't compliment one another. You can't be successful in the playoffs with a bend but don't break defense with a even more conservative ball control power running game. What happens if the offense is off, like in the playoff game, they can't recover from a big deficit. We have to make a decision, if we keep the current philosophy of the offense, we have to compliment it with a shutdown defense (more aggressive) or if we keep the current def scheme, we have to have a high octane offense.

Second point, IMO the league has always been a QB league. I think teams need to be more balance, the only team that I can think of that can get away without having a running game are the Colts. The teams you pointed out have a very capable running game Pats, GB, Saints wont the SB because they had a running game last year. I think we've gotten caught up into the big plays, but you can't be one dimensional or your season will end very abruptly.

Wow, I thought provoking football topic in RC???? I haven't seen anything like this here in awhile.

I think your analysis is somewhere in the neighborhood. It wasn't just the play on the field that did us in, when you lose by that much, coaching gets some of the blame as well. IMO, the problems that we have are a bit deeper than just a run first offense and a problematic secondary. I think the problem is with the underlying philosophies of the offense and defense. They don't compliment one another. You can't be successful in the playoffs with a bend but don't break defense with a even more conservative ball control power running game. What happens if the offense is off, like in the playoff game, they can't recover from a big deficit. We have to make a decision, if we keep the current philosophy of the offense, we have to compliment it with a shutdown defense (more aggressive) or if we keep the current def scheme, we have to have a high octane offense.

Second point, IMO the league has always been a QB league. I think teams need to be more balance, the only team that I can think of that can get away without having a running game are the Colts. The teams you pointed out have a very capable running game Pats, GB, Saints wont the SB because they had a running game last year. I think we've gotten caught up into the big plays, but you can't be one dimensional or your season will end very abruptly.

Agree. All good points.