Defence suspect when B. Williams goes out

Just off the top of my head. Did anyone notice that during the 2009-2010 season our defence became suspect when we lost B. Williams. When he went out during the N.O. game in 09 I thought he was playing well and rounding off the "D" well. I know B. Williams blitzed as effectively as Owens on Sat.(N.O. on Mon. night 2010) but it seemed that his absence greatly effected our "D" especially against a team deep at WR. Coincidence...or is there something to this?

Edited by Mid-Nite-Toker

Just off the top of my head. Did anyone notice that during the 2009-2010 season our defence became suspect when we lost B. Williams. When he went out during the N.O. game in 09 I thought he was playing well and rounding off the "D" well. I know B. Williams blitzed as effectively as Owens on Sat.(N.O. on Mon. night 2010) but it seemed that his absence greatly effected our "D" especially against a team deep at WR. Coincidence...or is there something to this?

Good observation...D is suspect without him in there period!!!!

Good observation...D is suspect without him in there period!!!!

Nice avatar! +1 I think D. Franks might be a better option than Owens in the future. I don't think we will hold onto B. Will with his knee problems. I think D. Rob and Grimes are a good tandem just need a sure fire NB.

Edited by Mid-Nite-Toker

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Whether you are wrong or right, which to be honest I'm not sure he mattered. But if B. Williams widely affects out team on defense then that is pitiful. The guy is old and has lost more than a step, can't halfway tackle. Just saying if he effected our defense them we got big problems on defense. We got a lot of work to do this off season but we will be back and better come next year.

Whether you are wrong or right, which to be honest I'm not sure he mattered. But if B. Williams widely affects out team on defense then that is pitiful. The guy is old and has lost more than a step, can't halfway tackle. Just saying if he effected our defense them we got big problems on defense. We got a lot of work to do this off season but we will be back and better come next year.

I thought our secondary was way better in 09 before B. WIll went out (I agree he is old). B. Will was piss poor in blitzing like Owens but he was better in coverage. In all honesty we do not put pressure on QBs with a 4 man front w/o blitzing and when our nickle coverage is suspect we get exposed. Owens was continually exposed the entire 1st half and we could not get off the field. B. Will ain't great but we have to sure up the NB position if we do not upgrade the "D" line.

Edited by Mid-Nite-Toker

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I thought our secondary was way better in 09 before B. WIll went out (I agree he is old). B. Will was piss poor in blitzing like Owens but he was better in coverage. In all honesty we do not put pressure on QBs with a 4 man front w/o blitzing and when our nickle coverage is suspect we get exposed. Owens was continually exposed the entire 1st half and we could not get off the field. B. Will ain't great but we have to sure up the NB position if we do not upgrade the "D" line.

Yeah I agree we need to sure up the nickel back position. Just neither B. Williams, or C. Owens are the answer. Hopefully and I am pretty sure it will be addressed this off season. Maybe even Franks can come in next season and step up and take it. Either way look for us to address this issue in one way or another this off season. If we can see it, then you know the Falcons staff as a whole can see it.

And I know Champ Bailey is old, but we might could get him cheep and he could help us out short term tremendously at the nickel and give us solid depth and also a little more vet leadership in our secondary.

You are spot on. Apparently, Williams really provides some sort of intangibles when he's on the field.

To be honest I wasnt to high on DRob this year but I think with a full off season with the team he'll improve. I think we fix some of these problems through the draft and FA pick ups. Plus I dont think Tony G is going to retire

I actually thought D Rob was a big upgrade especially since he is not suited to playing off WRs. The simple fact is we do not get a pass rush with our front 4 other than Abe and we can not cover the 4/5 WR sets with no pass rush or a NB that can not cover. B. Will could cover so QBs have to take longer progressions(better pass rush), Owens could not cover so A. Rodgers targeted him. Owens inability to cover effected our 4 man rush.

You are spot on. Apparently, Williams really provides some sort of intangibles when he's on the field.

He allows us to hide a poor pass rush. Owens and B. Will are not the long term answers at NB but we could fill that spot if TD is shrewed and frugal. The big issue is getting a DE opposite Abe and finding a replacement for Abe in the near future.