Name your top five Falcon priorities this offseason.

FlyHighFalcons

1. Get a VETERAN pass rusher to put opposite Abe (keep him as well).

Mathias Kiwanuka, Ray Edwards, Jason Babin come to mind.

2. Get a number two receiver (or number one tight end if TG hangs em up).

Jonathan Baldwin, Vincent Jackson, Terrell Owens, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes.

Marcedes Lewis, Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, Kevin Boss.

3. Get a change of pace back.

Deangelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, draft.

4. Get a solid cover corner.

Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomugha, Carlos Rodgers, Jonathan Joseph, Antonio Cromartie.

5. Get a left tackle, and move Sam Baker to RT.

Jared Gaither, first round.

This doesn't include resigning players because that always comes first (obviously).

Other things to work on: solidify LB corps and Safety corps. Improve the interior line if possible. Find replacements for older players.

Edited by FlyHighFalcons

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your list except the change of pace back. I think that is over rated. Look at the teams in the playoffs and none of them except the Jets (kind of) are a two back system. Instead, we need a playmaker at OLB. Our OLBs are good players, but not impact players. They would great backups, but they aren't the kind of players other OCs are worried about game planning for.

http://www.canadianwetbasementsolutions.com

I agree with your list except the change of pace back. I think that is over rated. Look at the teams in the playoffs and none of them except the Jets (kind of) are a two back system. Instead, we need a playmaker at OLB. Our OLBs are good players, but not impact players. They would great backups, but they aren't the kind of players other OCs are worried about game planning for.

http://www.canadianwetbasementsolutions.com

Can't say I disagree.

I can hardly imagine Terrel Owens or Santonio Holmes in a Falcons jersey, but I can't imagine the Lombardi taking a tour downtown unless we have another receiver with that kind of talent. <_<

Agreed. Jenks is a solid receiver, but not the guy we need. I think taking a one year chance on TO would never hurt. This team has matured, and it's time we take a chance that could put us over the top.

Here are four I posted on another thread...

1. We are desperate for speed on offense. Fin, Jenkins and Douglas all need to go and we need proven talent at the position and someone who can stretch a defense. The lack of a speed RB is killing the offense as well and hampering Matt's ability to make plays.

2. We have a terrible defensive scheme. We need a Rob Ryan or similar to turn us into a 3/4 team because in this pass-happy league, the 4-3 is useless. What happened tonight wasn't a matter of execution or effort. It was a failure of scheme. No amount of coaching will change a flawed approach. Need proof? Who are usually the top D's in the league? What do they run?

3. Just as I've believed all season, DeCoud is NOT the answer at safety. Same goes with Owens, who should be bagging groceries somewhere next week. Moore looks like the real deal, but how many big plays has DeCoud cost us this year? Heck, on one play near the goal line, he was running away from the receiver running a route right past him. I felt sorry for the LB trying desperately to come from halfway across the field and make a play.

4. While I've been a supporter of Grimes/Robinson, I have to question if they are part of the problem or the victims of #2 above. I like to think that, with a change to a 3-4 pressure scheme, they would be able to play more press coverage and use their athleticism rather than being forced to play 8-10 yards off on every single snap. Until I have more evidence, I have to place that blame on the DC and the scheme.

If we don't do anything else, we HAVE to get out of the 4-3. It's killing our chances of success in the playoffs. We just HAVE to get the 3/4 in here so we can compete. Something else I went into earlier...

From a game management standpoint, neither of our playcallers had an answer for anything the Packers were doing. If things are going well, they look like geniuses, but when they have to earn their money by making the big play in the big situations, they rely more on good fortune than any kind of brilliance on their part. I'd be highly supportive of a total house cleaning at the coordinator level. Bring in Ryan and McDaniels and I'd bet the difference would be dramatic from day one.

The days of retread thought processes is over. Forward thinking minds are what it takes to win the championship. The Falcons have a new attitude from a franchise standpoint, but their style of play is rooted in 1990s methodology. The reason guys like Sean Payton, Bellichick or Rex Ryan are successul. They are constantly forward thinking and have the imagination to see the next new thing to be successul. We just don't have that.

1. Playmakers on defense

-Sign Haynesworth for cheap. He's still dominate when I watched the games, he just quits on plays but in Atlanta, we will run the 4-3 and rotate him. To be honest, talent wise, he would be our best player.

2. Draft a TE in the 1st.

3. Draft Titus Young

-We need another better slot guy.

4. Draft an APB RB. (J. Rodgers type)

I really don't see that many issues. Matt Ryan needs to get a better arm and improve on 15+ area. The film room doesn't help that. They could look into getting another back since Turner getting up there.

1. Get a VETERAN pass rusher to put opposite Abe (keep him as well).

Mathias Kiwanuka, Ray Edwards, Jason Babin come to mind.

2. Get a number two receiver (or number one tight end if TG hangs em up).

Jonathan Baldwin, Vincent Jackson, Terrell Owens, Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes.

Marcedes Lewis, Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, Kevin Boss.

3. Get a change of pace back.

Deangelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, draft.

4. Get a solid cover corner.

Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomugha, Carlos Rodgers, Jonathan Joseph, Antonio Cromartie.

5. Get a left tackle, and move Sam Baker to RT.

Jared Gaither, first round.

This doesn't include resigning players because that always comes first (obviously).

Other things to work on: solidify LB corps and Safety corps. Improve the interior line if possible. Find replacements for older players.

1: We don't need to get older on Defense. I want a 3-4. It's hard to go exotic in a 4-3 without pulling a 3-4 look. I believe we have the LB's for it. We aren't shallow there.

2: Terrell Owens? LOL, r u cereal? We don't need to build this team for immediate success because that bites you in the ***. But we do need to consider this is Tony's last year and we need more deep threats. This shallow passing game isn't helping Turner's slow style at all.

3: I want a more well rounded back. Having our starting RB being a weak passing threat doesn't help our formations at all. "Is Turner coming in? Yes? Oh, it's a run."

4: We need another corner at least to get Owens out of here. Tackling a WR in the endzone before the ball is even thrown? Gimme a break.

5: I am not confident with Baker watching Ryan's blind side. He's a liability.

What's with you wanting to go for over the hill burnouts. Just because we have needs doesn't mean we need to go with older diminishing talent. This isn't Madden.

Edited by Mojo Risin

1. A high level pass rusher rather draft or free agent.

2. A "third and long back" Turner can't catch we need someone who can catch the ball out of the backfield and make plays.

3. Wide receiver depth. We have our number one... We just need a solid number two or so.

4. Secondary depth. Chris Owens had me yelling at the tv today.

5. Playmakers. This is general I know but... Its what we need. Our defense has no one that teams look at and say we have to know where that guy is at all times. On offense I'm not saying we need an elite wr on the other side of white but we need that guy that can make that play on 3rd and eight when the ball is thrown 3 yards.

we need that guy that can make that play on 3rd and eight when the ball is thrown 3 yards.

I'm hoping that we finally wise up and remember the old saying...."NEVER throw the ball short of the first down marker on third down!" :mellow:

Edited by Mojo Risin

If we don't do anything else, we HAVE to get out of the 4-3. It's killing our chances of success in the playoffs. We just HAVE to get the 3/4 in here so we can compete. Something else I went into earlier...

Funny i think we have almost the exact same philosophy on this one!

1.) Speed Receiver/Michael Jenkins cut

2.) Offensive Coordinator/Mularkey gone

3.) Dunta Robinson Pay Deduction/Brent Grimes Resign

4.) Hybrid Defense Package/BVG slap on the wrist

5.) A Center Over 310 lbs/Mike Johnson promotion

I think we need to overhaul the coordinator positions first, then go after positions that fit their scheme. Until then it is hard to say what the priorities are.

I agree that the dink and dunk is not working. our receivers are always standing still when they catch the ball and not in the open.

more man coverage and a much more aggressive approach on defense.

on offense, more shots down the field. Did ryan throw a single pass of more than 30 yeards today?

Also disappointed in harry douglas this year.

I'm hoping that we finally wise up and remember the old saying...."NEVER throw the ball short of the first down marker on third down!" :mellow:

I've seen that saying a lot but to be honest it's just a saying. Watch the Saints when Drew Brees is having a great day or Green Bay when they arent playing a defense like ours tonight. They have several guys that can pull this off. All the really great offenses do. Teams cover the middle to deep balls on third and long. Sometimes you have to throw it to a check down guy that makes a play.

I've seen that saying a lot but to be honest it's just a saying. Watch the Saints when Drew Brees is having a great day or Green Bay when they arent playing a defense like ours tonight. They have several guys that can pull this off. All the really great offenses do. Teams cover the middle to deep balls on third and long. Sometimes you have to throw it to a check down guy that makes a play.

Keyword is sometimes. We do it way too much. That's not a coverage issue. It's more of a design or Ryan issue.

Keyword is sometimes. We do it way too much. That's not a coverage issue. It's more of a design or Ryan issue.

Yeah, sometimes. I think part of it is lack of talent at wide receiver and I don't think it's Ryan really. The thing is, when we do it, it seemingly fails more than when other teams do it. with a few exceptions our guys just never make that first guy miss for those types of passes.

If you have a 4-3 defense. You really on monstorious pass rush from you D-Line. Look at the Chicago Bears and NYG. Good pass rushers their. We could use better pass rush. Or the D just crumbles.

Yeah, sometimes. I think part of it is lack of talent at wide receiver and I don't think it's Ryan really. The thing is, when we do it, it seemingly fails more than when other teams do it. with a few exceptions our guys just never make that first guy miss for those types of passes.

It seems to be design, Receivers and Ryan. We aren't very wild in what we do so not much left to the imagination. Receivers as a whole are subpar and Ryan has shown the tendency to play it safe too much. Every time he throws it away on third down while he still has several steps on those pursuing him makes me scratch my head.

i dont think it's a matter of 4-3 vs 3-4 defense. i think we simply need an upgrade at the DC position. even when our offense flourishes, the bend but dont break mentality continues to allow teams to attack us and we just take it.

look at the 1st GB game, and the ravens game. defensively, we just stood there and let them throw intermediate routes on us the entire game. as a whole, this team plays more 'not to lose' than to win...even when we're ahead, we won't put anybody away.

the bottom line is, i think we have enough talent on both sides of the ball to win a super bowl in the next couple of years. but defensively, our scheming and playcalling is flat out terrible. get used to it though, because it probably won't change as long as Smitty is our HC. I don't think he's going to even entertain the thought of canning BVG, no matter what happens.

This team has been successful enough to where guys like BVG have a scapegoat - 'we went 13-3 this year' type of stuff. usually for a guy in his position to be torpedoed, the team has to have an awful season and defense would have to be the obvious achilles heel.

How is it that Troy points out the obvious on National TV that Brian Van Gorter does not have an answer and yet we somehow 'must' keep him because we went 12-3?

Please give me a game where our defense had a total Shutdown type of game on the opposing team this season?

It is frustrating to me that being ROUTED by a wildcard team doesn't at least call for a REAL examination of the Defensive Coordinator?

I do not want a scapegoat, I want a change for the better.

(I'm also not fond of our lack of big play Offensive Coordinator as well).