John Brantley will stay at Florida

Carter

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Once Florida hired offensive coordinator Charlie Weis to run a pro-style offense, John Brantley's decision became clear.

Brantley, mostly ineffective in Florida's spread system, chose Friday to stay in Gainesville and finish his college career with the Gators. Brantley considered transferring after coach Urban Meyer stepped down last month, wanting to see if he might find a better fit elsewhere.

But his father, John Brantley III, told The Associated Press in a text message that his son has "been a Gator his whole life and no reason to change now."

So Brantley will get a fresh start under Weis, whose resume includes productive, pro-style offenses at Notre Dame. Weis also won three Super Bowl rings with the New England Patriots and helped the Kansas City Chiefs make the playoffs this season.

"[The pro offense is] something that he was very comfortable doing in high school and I'm sure that's something he's going to look forward to doing," said Jacksonville coach Kerwin Bell, who coached Brantley at Trinity High in nearby Ocala. "He is going to have a wonderful guy with a lot of experience who's coached a lot of great quarterbacks."

Brantley, one of the country's prized recruits in 2007, had a disappointing season after replacing former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow. Brantley completed 61 percent of his passes for 2,061 yards, with nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

He was clearly a misfit in the spread, struggling to read defenses, missing open receivers and often holding the ball too long. It didn't help that the Gators were plagued by bad snaps, dropped passes, turnovers, sacks, missed field goals and poor execution in the red zone. All the issues resulted in some of the program's worst offensive performances in more than two decades.

In hopes of turning things around, Florida experimented with tight end Jordan Reed and versatile H-back Trey Burton at quarterback, but neither proved to be a long-term solution.

Brantley could be, in the right offense.

The 6-foot-3 junior spent three years waiting for this opportunity. He came to Florida a year after Tebow, knowing he might have to sit behind the left-hander. He certainly could have transferred and might even have become a star elsewhere.

But Brantley didn't leave -- not after Tebow became the first sophomore to win the Heisman in 2007 and not after Tebow decided to return for his senior year in 2009. Instead, he simply served as Tebow's long-standing understudy.

Meyer and offensive coordinator Steve Addazio insisted they tweaked the offense to tailor Brantley's strengths, but the quarterback rarely lined up under center and was asked to run option plays.

Brantley, though, never questioned his coaches. He repeatedly said he trusted their judgment and would do whatever asked -- even if it meant stepping aside for Burton and Reed.

But Brantley's frustration became evident when he said last month he planned to sit down with his family and talk about transferring. They never got close to making a move, not after new coach Will Muschamp hired Weis and made it clear he wanted to install a pro-style system similar to the one Brantley ran to near perfection in high school.

Brantley's Florida lineage made his decision to stay in Gainesville even easier. He grew up in nearby Ocala rooting for the Gators and followed in the footsteps of his dad and uncle.

His father threw for 1,334 yards and 11 touchdowns in 1978. His uncle, Scot Brantley, was a two-time All-Southeastern Conference linebacker for the Gators (1978-79).

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6023218

Why is he staying again? He has no qualities that make him a QB. Can't scan a field, can't feel pressure, can't read a defense, can't throw accurately more than 10 yards, horrible decision making, can't make a play when needed, no leadership qualities, not vocal, too docile, absolutely no mobility, no football instincts, etc

No clue how he is even in the sport.

Guest AtlWhite84

Why is he staying again? He has no qualities that make him a QB. Can't scan a field, can't feel pressure, can't read a defense, can't throw accurately more than 10 yards, horrible decision making, can't make a play when needed, no leadership qualities, not vocal, too docile, absolutely no mobility, no football instincts, etc

Word.

So other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln? :P

I think many people have forgotten how talented and highly ranked Brantley was coming out of high school. Its hard to succeed in an offense that is completely foreign and does not fit your skill set. I would expect to see a good season for Brantley next year if he holds on to the starting job. Maybe without the pressure that comes with being a third generation gator and a highly touted high school qb, he can grow into good qb for the gators (keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt happen tho :P )

From talking to gator guys the biggest disappointment besides of course his on the field play was that he is no leader.

From talking to gator guys the biggest disappointment besides of course his on the field play was that he is no leader.

In his senior year, Tebow talked about Brantley's high leadership qualities more than once. I never saw any type of leadership out of him. Way too laid back, and never saw him try to rally any of the teammates. He'd just sit on the bench with his head down and stay to himself. Unless you're extremely gifted with talent, you're not going to be successful with that attitude.

The name and his dad's donations are going to lead to another year of mediocrity on offense. GN has seen enough of him. We know what he can do, but we know a lot more about what he can't do. I actually felt bad for the guy during the season, but with him staying there's no sympathy.

In his senior year, Tebow talked about Brantley's high leadership qualities more than once. I never saw any type of leadership out of him. Way too laid back, and never saw him try to rally any of the teammates. He'd just sit on the bench with his head down and stay to himself. Unless you're extremely gifted with talent, you're not going to be successful with that attitude.

The name and his dad's donations are going to lead to another year of mediocrity on offense. GN has seen enough of him. We know what he can do, but we know a lot more about what he can't do. I actually felt bad for the guy during the season, but with him staying there's no sympathy.

Yeah I don't see that leadership at all either. I mean him staying to himself I can sorta attribute to frustration and not having much faith in the system, though by all accounts he never seemed bothered (at least openly) with the fact that Addazio constantly shifted the QB position around and the offense just didn't suit his individual ability. He is definitely not a leader in any similar vein as Tebow though.

It's easy to understand why Gator fans are trashing on Brantley. It would be like if Joe Cox had another year of eligibility this previous season but Aaron Murray is obviously the future. Tough situation to be in as a fan.