Falcons are not good because they play close games.....

durrdbyrd

One of the biggest knocks against the Falcons heading into these playoffs has been the tendency to live on the edge. We've played so many close games, that it's destined to catch up with us eventually. Skip Bayless is one of many who loves to scream about how the Falcons "could have lost seven games". And somehow this has become to point that many use when picking the Packers over the Falcons on Saturday. But when you look at the numbers, it makes no sense.

We all know Atlanta has played in several nail-biters this year. In all, the Falcons have played in nine games decided by 7 points or fewer. In those nine games, the Falcons are 7-2.

The Packers, however, have played in 11 games (including the playoffs) decided by 7 points or fewer. In those games, they are 5-6.

So how exactly is it that the Falcons are knocked because they've played in close games and the Packers are not, when Green Bay has played in more tight games and have had far less success in them?

It doesn't make sense. I want to say it's because the Falcons aren't a storied franchise, but neither are the Ravens (a franchise younger than most of the people who post on this forum), and the national media seems to give the Ravens (who the Falcons beat, by the way) proper respect, and with the exception of last week all of their games have been close too.

I guess we have to just win baby. They'll be saying we lose the NFCCG, but it doesn't matter. We'll keep proving them wrong.

Lombardi, thts y the Ravens get respect, the **** lombardi trophey, we get it, we get respect. W/o it, were a joke.

Then how does that explain the Eagles?

But I agree win need to win, only way to get the media to take notice. Atlanta is a small market so they won't hype us like the equally Lombardi-less Eagles and Jets.

Then how does that explain the Eagles?

But I agree win need to win, only way to get the media to take notice. Atlanta is a small market so they won't hype us like the equally Lombardi-less Eagles and Jets.

Ur right, thts were I dnt get the bias, if any team in NFC/AFC North/East, gets all the praise n coverage n attention, we get **** for being a #1 seed, if the boys r where we r @, u wouldn't hear then end of it, it jst is maddening, thts all.

I really cannot hear it. We have one of the toughest schedule of all teams.

We played the super bowl champ!(beat him in his building!), we played one of the rising teams this year(the 10-6 bucs) twice, we played the ravens, we played the steelers, we played the packers, we the seahawks in their stadium, and this seahawks beat the super bowl champ! and we blow out this seahawks, we beat also cincy, in a must win game for them! and we played in philly, (okay we lost), but we played the champ of the NFC East,

and then we played some garbage teams like arizona, 49ers and rams, browns, panthers(but every team has garbage teams). But after all the falcons have nothing to prove. Nothing.....

Ur right, thts were I dnt get the bias, if any team in NFC/AFC North/East, gets all the praise n coverage n attention, we get **** for being a #1 seed, if the boys r where we r @, u wouldn't hear then end of it, it jst is maddening, thts all.

I never noticed it, but you're right, every single hyped team is in the NFC/AFC North or East. I guess that's the benefit of having a large media market.

NFCN - Packers (small market, but storied franchise)

NFCE - Every team, pretty much

AFCN - Steelers, Ravens (small markets for both teams but the Steelers are a storied franchise and the media likes to hype the rivalry. Plus Ray Lewis is a "chosen one")

AFCE - Patriots, Jets

There are three exceptions, the Colts in the AFCS (only because of Peyton, once he's gone the media won't care), the Chargers in the AFCW (only because of Rivers) and the Saints in our division (because of the recent SB win and Katrina. If they're not consistently on top, the media will stop caring about them too. Look at Tampa after their SB win).

The reason I don't worry too much is because we have the best young QB in the league, and he'll keep the offense flying high for a while. Ryan will be a premier QB in this league for years to come, so I don't expect us to slide into a "rebuilding stage" for a very long time. The media will have to notice eventually, but even if they don't, we'll just keep winning.

Edited by icymatty