Sony going after PS3 hackers

Sony Computer Entertainment America filed a complaint for injunctive relief and a motion for a temporary restraining order in a California court yesterday against hacker George Hotz, members of the hacker group fail0verflow, and a number of John Does for allegedly circumventing the PlayStation 3's protection measures.

In late December, members of fail0verflow discovered a way around Sony's PS3 security measures to access private root keys, allowing anyone to run unauthorized and pirated software on the console and later distributed the tools to other hackers. The group claims the security hole cannot be fixed with a simple firmware update and that Sony would instead have to issue completely new hardware.

Hotz, who last year claimed he already hacked the PS3, took it a step further days later by distributing tools helped created by fail0verflow to hack the console publicly on his website and even published a video of YouTube showcasing his homebrew application running on the PS3.

Sony is looking to restrain the hackers from further illegal activity, including manufacturing and distributing hacking tools, or they will "succeed in their attempts to ensure that pirated software can be run on the PS3 System, resulting in the destruction of SCEA's business."

The company claims the hackers violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and other copyright infringements, and is asking the defendants to turn over all computer hardware and software used in creating and transferring the hacking software.

A copy of the proposed restraining order can be viewed here.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1143598p1.html

Simple scare tactic - those guys never released a software to run pirated games they only showed the way to run non [sony] authorized software by creating an authorisation themself.

Somebody else can build a "pirated game copy loader" because of this but the work of Hotz has nothing to do with piracy ...

Sony themselves released the keys

January 14, 2011 in PS3, WTF? | 18 comments

A few days/ hours ago, in a move to support homebrews and fanmade applications, Sony publicly released a major part of the encryption/decryption keys of the Sony Playstation3, in the form of a website screenshot included in one of the legal documents provided in their case against Geohot.

These documents are legally hosted on several servers all over the world, including the website of the district court of Northern California (through the PACER system), a direct proof of Sony’s good will to open the console to independent developers.

Untitled.pngYou can't unsee it.

A part of the keys is missing, but this seriously weakens the security of the PS3. Sony stated that they do not condone piracy, but no doubt that pirates in the world will find the missing bits, and use these keys in order to run illegal copies of games.

Please note that unlike Geohot, the district court of Northern California apparently accepts donations for the keys, but for US citizens there is a way to make that tax deductible it seems. More info at http://www.pacer.gov/ , or google for “Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC v. Hotz et al”

(To people reading this and who didn’t completely get it, this is irony. Of course it is easy to prove that Geohot released these keys before Sony, but it’s still very funny.)

Source KaKaRoToKS

Edited by Skar

Sony themselves released the keys

[qoute]January 14, 2011 in PS3, WTF? | 18 comments

A few days/ hours ago, in a move to support homebrews and fanmade applications, Sony publicly released a major part of the encryption/decryption keys of the Sony Playstation3, in the form of a website screenshot included in one of the legal documents provided in their case against Geohot.

These documents are legally hosted on several servers all over the world, including the website of the district court of Northern California (through the PACER system), a direct proof of Sony’s good will to open the console to independent developers.

Untitled.pngYou can't unsee it.

A part of the keys is missing, but this seriously weakens the security of the PS3. Sony stated that they do not condone piracy, but no doubt that pirates in the world will find the missing bits, and use these keys in order to run illegal copies of games.

Please note that unlike Geohot, the district court of Northern California apparently accepts donations for the keys, but for US citizens there is a way to make that tax deductible it seems. More info at http://www.pacer.gov/ , or google for “Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC v. Hotz et al”

(To people reading this and who didn’t completely get it, this is irony. Of course it is easy to prove that Geohot released these keys before Sony, but it’s still very funny.)

Source KaKaRoToKS

wow fail by sony.

in "unrelated" (lol) news i bet the ps4 gets announced at e3.

Why are you guys killing GEORGIA so bad? He is actually right, you know. My 5 year old single core PC runs all the modern games except MAYBE one or two, and it still will 2 years from now. The whole PC gaming is too expensive argument is out the window at this point. You either are comfortable dealing with a PC for gaming or you prefer a console.

Why are you guys killing GEORGIA so bad? He is actually right, you know. My 5 year old single core PC runs all the modern games except MAYBE one or two, and it still will 2 years from now. The whole PC gaming is too expensive argument is out the window at this point. You either are comfortable dealing with a PC for gaming or you prefer a console.

You mean me, because Georgia is purely against PC gaming. Let's be honest while people Dish out 1k for 4th generation Consoles PCs will take over for the first 3 or 4 years, than it'll go back to Consoles, because Console prices Fluctuate and PC Prices don't that's really the only reason Consoles are still relevant.

You mean me, because Georgia is purely against PC gaming. Let's be honest while people Dish out 1k for 4th generation Consoles PCs will take over for the first 3 or 4 years, than it'll go back to Consoles, because Console prices Fluctuate and PC Prices don't that's really the only reason Consoles are still relevant.

no im not, but you wouldnt know that since you only understand "facts" that prove your point. and your "facts" are usually made up by you.

no im not, but you wouldnt know that since you only understand "facts" that prove your point. and your "facts" are usually made up by you.

I think it's pretty much a fact that for the last 5-6 Years or so the price to build a PC that runs everything pretty well is about 600$. over that Period the PS3 has gone from 600$ to 200$ and the 360 has gone from 400$ to 200$.

This started back in 04-05

During that time some of the More succesful PC games were realesed, like WoW, BF2, BF2142, Rome Total War, and CoH.

It started dying down around the end of '07 when the 360 dropped to around 300$ and the PS3 dropped to about 500$.

I think it's pretty much a fact that for the last 5-6 Years or so the price to build a PC that runs everything pretty well is about 600$. over that Period the PS3 has gone from 600$ to 200$ and the 360 has gone from 400$ to 200$.

This started back in 04-05

During that time some of the More succesful PC games were realesed, like WoW, BF2, BF2142, Rome Total War, and CoH.

It started dying down around the end of '07 when the 360 dropped to around 300$ and the PS3 dropped to about 500$.

:blink:

im not gonna argue on the fluctuation, since anyone with half a brain knows why that happens. 2nd of all when i buy a $600 gaming pc now it is not gonna have the same specs as a $600 dollar gaming pc 4 years ago. if you were to buy that $600 05 dollar gaming pc now the price would drop just like a 360 or ps3. the price change is on the cost of making the devices. as the technology becomes cheaper so does the devices that use the technology.

for me consoles made sense, but i could see the argument for PC gaming. you wouldnt have to buy multiple systems.

most people who have consoles still need a pc, so combining the costs could be cost effective.

Edited by GEORGlAfan

Gaming consoles in the near future are going to start costing as much as computers, PS3 was already $600 and $500 for the 360.. who knows how much the ps4 and Xbox 720 would be.

Games will be like $100 a pop.

Edited by Skar

:blink:

im not gonna argue on the fluctuation, since anyone with half a brain knows why that happens. 2nd of all when i buy a $600 gaming pc now it is not gonna have the same specs as a $600 dollar gaming pc 4 years ago. if you were to buy that $600 05 dollar gaming pc now the price would drop just like a 360 or ps3. the price change is on the cost of making the devices. as the technology becomes cheaper so does the devices that use the technology.

for me consoles made sense, but i could see the argument for PC gaming. you wouldnt have to buy multiple systems.

most people who have consoles still need a pc, so combining the costs could be cost effective.

Yea if you bought the old parts what im saying is the new modern pc gaming rigs dont fluctuate in prices from the old ones, you just gotta know where to look.

Yea if you bought the old parts what im saying is the new modern pc gaming rigs dont fluctuate in prices from the old ones, you just gotta know where to look.

thats because it is new technologies. its not the same pc gaming rig. 5 years ago 256mb was a lot, and now if you dont have 4gbs your rig is crap. 5 years ago every1 was loving pentium 4 processors(single core). now its all about i5/i7 which are dual core processors. gaming rigs of same specs would go down like ps3, but it is not the same specs.

wow fail by sony.

This whole thing makes me laugh. The fact you can load an OS of your choice on the PS3 is an open door to hack the thing. Certainly all systems are hackable, but to give someone the ability to easily load/encourage installation of a Unix distro onto it is perhaps the most unsecure thing you can do. I really can't think of anything that comes close to that.

This whole thing makes me laugh. The fact you can load an OS of your choice on the PS3 is an open door to hack the thing. Certainly all systems are hackable, but to give someone the ability to easily load/encourage installation of a Unix distro onto it is perhaps the most unsecure thing you can do. I really can't think of anything that comes close to that.

that is why they took that feature down.

I know, which makes me sad. I never actually used the feature, cause I have a linux master PC at home, and if I really needed another one, I have PC's just sitting on my floor. I just thought it was a cool feature, though this was the obvious way it was going to end.

It's funny how it took hackers 5 years to hack the ps3 and once Sony took out the other os feature, it pissed of the hackers.

It makes you wonder if Sony didn't take away the other so system, the PS3 would still be unhackleable.

Edited by Skar

i've read in other forums that the fact that they took it down is what really motivated the hackers to try and open the ps3, as if they kept that feature then everything would have been cool.

Not sure how much I believe that. I'm sure removing the feature probably irked quite a few people, but I'm sure this would have happened regardless of it was ever available. I have a saying for IT security. No matter how good you're security systems are, there is a bored 12 year old somewhere with nothing better to do than hack your system.