To you GB folks

jm_falcons

Not gonna bash you...just going to explain the reason I think the Falcons will win.

To put it simply...I dont think you can match the Physicality that the Falcons bring.

Rogers is brittle having suffered that conscussion and your rb is unprooven...with a running game that is sub par. Thats too bad about R grant...I had him on my ff team for a reason.

Yes...you have an excellent passing game and sure thats a concern. But the Falcons D is very disciplined and wont give up the big play very often. Hence...you will have red zone problems again as you fail to run the ball effectively. The Falcons D is good enough to stop a 1-D team. Lack of balance will be your downfall.

Your D is top 10...no doubt but a closer look shows that GB is sub par against the run. Yes...you have a great pass D and pass rush and if the Falcons fall behind it could be trouble for us. But the fact that your run D is questionable...plays right into our hands.

Overall...you guys are coming off 6 days of rest and you are going up against a physical rushing team. Furthermore...Ryan is terrific at running the hurry up offense to wear you down further.

a 4-5 road record is not a good resume for victory especially when visiting a team coming off a bye with a 7-1 home record.

Oh sure...you beat Philly twice and we are 0-1 against them...we can nit pick all day if you want.

Pleanty of people are picking the Packers...and I am not expecting a total route....but I do foresee a 24-17 Falcon victory. Please reply... I am interested in your thoughts. And here is to an injury free game.

Edited by jm_falcons

Good points jm_falcons.

The Packers rush defense is sub par as you said, but this is largely in part to how much the packers are in their nickel defense with only 2 down lineman. I'd like to point out that only a year ago the packers lead the NFL in rush defense. That was when the packers predominantly played with 3 down linemen. This year its been all 2-4-5. Heck even against the eagles last week on the goaline we were still in a 2-4-5. I think if the Packers want to match the physicality of the Falcons then they need to bring in that extra lineman and play a true 3-4. If the falcons put up long productive drives thats when I see you're running game becoming very, very hard to stop. Because at that point it wont matter how many Dlineman are in because of the fatigue factor.

I am weary about the packers road record, even moreso when I see that "Matty Ice" is 20-2 at home.

I do wonder if some of those red zone stallings will diminish with the presence of James Starks ( Not saying he's going to run for 120 yards, Just saying he is a heck of a lot more powerful then our other backs the falcons faced). Maybe we won't have to go 5 wide at the 10 yard line.. If the falcons D shuts down the packers run game early though, expect the Packers to totally abandon to running game all together because our coach is like that.. one zero yard gain and he quits running it, very annoying.

I think the X factor could be Weems vs the packers special teams. We famously let a 330 lb linemen run it back for 71 yards on us so one could imagine what the pro bowler could do.. The field position battle could be big in this game.

Overall this will be a close game, no blowouts in my opinion but I do see the packers winning this one. Maybe its the media getting into my head, Packer bias, but My prediction is 24-21 Packers. I know Matty Ice is clutch in close games and Rodgers is not blah blah blah. The packers have won their last 3 "playoff games" if you will against the Giants, Bears and Eagles and I think they keep on. Thats just the way I see this happening.

Good luck on Saturday.. well not really. how about.. May the best team win? ya sounds good.

Purely judging the last time we played the Falcons, the Packers win this game if they can run the ball even a little bit effectively and not turn it over, especially on the goaline. Nothing about the Falcons really scares me from a talent standpoint just the extreme discipline and ball control of the offense. Your Oline did a great job in the last game as well.

I would expect GB to try be trying limited amounts of pass rushers again leaving defenders in space for that dink and dunk offense. Stopping the run game will be key for the Packers, Turner won't kill you with speed by any means and I think the team learned a lot about him last time they played. They learned that they need to attack the legs, I watched that last game this week and they were going high constantly and Turner would go right through. Expect a change in defensive scheme for sure.

As for our offense I think Starks provides the needed pop at the hole to at least do a little damage, still don't think he does much against that run D, I just think he is SO different than the back you guys saw last time. Rodgers shouldnt really have much trouble spotting his passes, especially if the line holds up as they have for the last few weeks. Abraham and Biermann are no joke, so that will be a test. The opportunity for some big hitters with our receiving corps against those Falcon DBs is going to be there. Our O usually plays well in domes and really I dont see false starts or anything being a big deal.

Special teams could play a factor although I think GB's unit has been much improved the last half of the season. maybe not from a return standpoint as I still think we are lacking there but more from the covering aspect.

All in all I think it's a tight one but the Packers take the W... 21-17

To me this game is a coin flip.

The Packers are a good team. Maybe even great at times but like all the other NFC playoff teams they are flawed. Their defense is a legitimate top 5 defense, with the strength being their secondary, and all the crazy looks Dom Capers will give opposing offenses. The Packers defense will keep the game close even if the offense struggles.

The Packers offense does struggle at times. Rodgers is a great qb but for whatever reason the offense goes to sleep for a quarter or 2 now and then. This is probably due to a crap running game and also probably injuries producing inconsistency. As a Packer fan I am optimistic about Starks and the running game but last week didnt prove anything yet.

The game will probably come down to some weird turnover. It did last time around. Hopefully this time for the Packers sake it will be the Falcons turning it over.

If IM not too depressed after the game maybe I will stop by. If the Packers win IM not a gloater so dont worry about that.

Later

The Falcons are rested and at home. If the game was in GB, I might would give the Packers a chance but being in Atlanta, it could easily be a 2 TD victory.

The Packers defense is solid and their pass rush is one of the best, but every one of your strengths plays into our game. Ryan is sacked less on blitzes even though he faces more than any other NFC QB. Your run defense is average at best and Turner, Snelling, and Ovie will absolutely wear down that defense as the game progresses.

As far as the GB offense...completely one dimensional. The Falcons are an opportunistic defense and will force a turnover or two saturday. Van Gorder will have a pass rush set up for Rodgers saturday that will give him fits all night.

There is a reason the Falcons were 13-3 and the 1 seed.....and the Packers were 10-6 and a 6 seed....and we beat them in the regular season.....

The Falcons are a better team.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

WoW....fans of other teams that I can actually tolerate and they make valuable points. You guys are such a relief compared to the Saints fans and really most other fans that visit our boards. At least you see some logic or what not. Despite agreeing or not you have good explanations for why you feel the game goes one way or another. Really enjoyed all the post in here so far. I mean the Packers have a good football team. And we do as well (Falcons). It will be a good game, one that makes us hang by the edge of our seats just like it was last time. May the better team get the victory. If we can not beat you, we simply don't deserve to advance, nor do you Packer fans. So from what I can see who ever wins this game I am picking to win the Superbowl. I think both can beat any of the AFC teams, even New England, they are not un-touchable, ever. Just as the Giants gave the Patriots a lesson a few Super Bowls ago. Who ever wins here should go on to face the Bears. Or at least I think they should. Chicago is a team that you never no who is going to show up. And Seattle, well I still can't think of the words other than wtf as for why at this point in the season we are even still discussing them, really.

So, pack fans, what have you heard about Baluga and Jenkins? I know they were limited in practice, what are the expectations for them playing/being effective?

And do you guys want them to run the wishbone formation this game or do you think that was only for a depleted eagles DLine?

I think that playing the fourth elimination game in a row, the second in a row on the road, a short week and all the players on IR means that the Falcons will have a major advantage in the second half.

If the pack was completely healthy, I think these two teams would have met next week, and maybe in GB, but I think that the mental and physical fatigue catches up with the pack in the second half and the falcons win.

Some Dom Capers comments on your team.. Nothing shocking but gives proper respect.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/113521984.html

What kind of challenge does QB Matt Ryan create? "Very efficient, very smart with the ball, tries to avoid turnovers at all costs. It's part of their philosophy. They run the ball, they keep the down and distances in very manageable down and distance situations, very efficient in converting third downs. That's why you see them, I think they're third in the league in 10-plus play drives. They sustain drives. And if you look at our first game, they really had three 10-plus play drive out of eight series. The first series, they went down and got a field goal, and we were three and out, three and out, then we let them, we were third and 19 and they got 16 yards and went for it on fourth down and converted it and went down and we held them and they converted a third and four for a touchdown. It's just a style that they play. I think that Mike Smith has done a nice job of tying everything together in terms of the offense, defense and some special teams, the way they play in all three phases of the game. So you have to try to do something to get them off schedule a little bit. In the first game, they ran the ball too well against us with big people on the field. They had two and three tight ends out there."

Have they used an extra OL as a third TE to block against everybody or just you? Do you expect to see more Saturday night That’s a big part of Mike’s scheme. They do a good job of switching up their personnel. The first series or two of the game, they’re going to use all the different personnel groups. I think we saw seven different personnel groups in the first series. Our second series was three-and-out and they used three different personnel groups. And then at some point in there, he’s going to mix in no-huddle, to try to change the tempo of the game. The third series they mixed in no-huddle. So you’re going to see those elements as you go through, and they’re a sound, fundamental football team. You have to play sound fundamental football. You’ve got to tackle well you play this team, and you’ve got to try to take the ball away. They don’t turn it over a lot. We weren’t able to get any takeaways the first time we played them.

How good is TE Tony Gonzalez? He’s still a very good route-runner. You saw him run the nod route for us for a touchdown. He came down, gave the head and shoulder fake and he’s a guy certain down and distances they’re going to go to because he’s a very good catcher, efficient that way. And he’s real good running and getting open. He knows how to work a defensive back in leverage. If you’re one-on-one you better have pretty good coverage because he’s going to win.

What’s the key to taking the ball away? You just have to do all the fundamentals we work on. You guys watch us every day all the way. We start practice with strip drills and even though you might not get their with pressure, I think you have to make them feel pressure where a lot of times the timing of the routes don’t have time to develop. You can’t get frustrated that way. You have to keep coming, keep lining up and playing and sooner or later you’ll get your chance and you have to make it.

Edited by Pack93z

So, pack fans, what have you heard about Baluga and Jenkins? I know they were limited in practice, what are the expectations for them playing/being effective?

And do you guys want them to run the wishbone formation this game or do you think that was only for a depleted eagles DLine?

I think that playing the fourth elimination game in a row, the second in a row on the road, a short week and all the players on IR means that the Falcons will have a major advantage in the second half.

If the pack was completely healthy, I think these two teams would have met next week, and maybe in GB, but I think that the mental and physical fatigue catches up with the pack in the second half and the falcons win.

A couple of quick notes.. Jenkins has only played once (last week) in the past 6 games.. he adds pass rush to the line, but since he has been down.. Raji has stepped up his game along with a kid from the Bulldogs.. Jarius Wynn. Our line rotation just becomes stronger with Jenkins in the mix.. especially in terms of the pass rush. I expect with your pounding running attack that we will have an extra DLman up for this game.

Bulaga was more of a precaution.. yesterday he was a full go. If he struggles Saturday night look for a very solid player to take his place.. TJ Lang. A wildcard to get in would be NewHouse.. a mauler type that may struggle with speed pass rushers. We are not especially deep at tackle..

The wishbone formation helps create some decent run angles... but I think you will see more single back sets this week trying to vary the looks and again see a pass heavy attack from the Packers. Unless they have early success.. I see McCarthy (MM) pulling what he did last time down here and going pass heavy sets and putting pressure on your safeties, nickel and dime personnel groups.. I think they feel there are opportunities there.

Most of our injuries took place early enough for depth to be brought up and we are as healthy as we have been since the bye week. According to multiple sites, the coaching staff started prepping for the Falcons mid last week after the Eagles game plan was installed.. since if we won last week we knew our next opponent regardless of the other WC outcome.

I am amazed that we are still in the dance with 15 regular time starters sitting on the shelf for this team.. scary to think of the potential for next season with one a handful of contracts coming up this season.

A couple of quick notes.. Jenkins has only played once (last week) in the past 6 games.. he adds pass rush to the line, but since he has been down.. Raji has stepped up his game along with a kid from the Bulldogs.. Jarius Wynn. Our line rotation just becomes stronger with Jenkins in the mix.. especially in terms of the pass rush. I expect with your pounding running attack that we will have an extra DLman up for this game.

Bulaga was more of a precaution.. yesterday he was a full go. If he struggles Saturday night look for a very solid player to take his place.. TJ Lang. A wildcard to get in would be NewHouse.. a mauler type that may struggle with speed pass rushers. We are not especially deep at tackle..

The wishbone formation helps create some decent run angles... but I think you will see more single back sets this week trying to vary the looks and again see a pass heavy attack from the Packers. Unless they have early success.. I see McCarthy (MM) pulling what he did last time down here and going pass heavy sets and putting pressure on your safeties, nickel and dime personnel groups.. I think they feel there are opportunities there.

Most of our injuries took place early enough for depth to be brought up and we are as healthy as we have been since the bye week. According to multiple sites, the coaching staff started prepping for the Falcons mid last week after the Eagles game plan was installed.. since if we won last week we knew our next opponent regardless of the other WC outcome.

I am amazed that we are still in the dance with 15 regular time starters sitting on the shelf for this team.. scary to think of the potential for next season with one a handful of contracts coming up this season.

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking this is the first of many playoff games between these two teams- both are solid, well-coached teams with stud young QBs.

I do think the fatigue factor- and more mental than physical fatigue will be the difference. There's a reason teams want the bye week.

Who's civil? I'm cleaning my guns and sharpening my blades as I read this.

Just as an FYI, we have 600,000+ deer hunters in the State of Wisconsin that know a little bit about guns and knives.

But back to the topic at hand.......

James Starks has an unorthodox and awkward running style. Far too vertical and upright, in my opinion. He's a nice young kid, happy to be a Green Bay Packer, etc but nobody around here that I know of is thinking he is the second coming of Jim Taylor. We'll joyously take whatever he can bring to the game because Brandon Jackson has been really "quite ineffective". John Kuhn is another try-hard guy that surely isn't going to make anybody miss.

All of our receivers periodically develop butterfingers and drop critical passes at the most inopportune possible moments.

I'm placing my hope in our D-Line and D-Backs. Who the heck wants to tackle Michael Turner? All you get is rock-hard knees, propelled by piston-like thighs all powered by a massive rump. I'd like to invite him over to my house to shovel snow. But attempt to tackle him? No thanks.

May the best team win.

Packers 31, Falcons 24

Good points jm_falcons.

The Packers rush defense is sub par as you said, but this is largely in part to how much the packers are in their nickel defense with only 2 down lineman. I'd like to point out that only a year ago the packers lead the NFL in rush defense. That was when the packers predominantly played with 3 down linemen. This year its been all 2-4-5. Heck even against the eagles last week on the goaline we were still in a 2-4-5. I think if the Packers want to match the physicality of the Falcons then they need to bring in that extra lineman and play a true 3-4. If the falcons put up long productive drives thats when I see you're running game becoming very, very hard to stop. Because at that point it wont matter how many Dlineman are in because of the fatigue factor.

I am weary about the packers road record, even moreso when I see that "Matty Ice" is 20-2 at home.

I do wonder if some of those red zone stallings will diminish with the presence of James Starks ( Not saying he's going to run for 120 yards, Just saying he is a heck of a lot more powerful then our other backs the falcons faced). Maybe we won't have to go 5 wide at the 10 yard line.. If the falcons D shuts down the packers run game early though, expect the Packers to totally abandon to running game all together because our coach is like that.. one zero yard gain and he quits running it, very annoying.

I think the X factor could be Weems vs the packers special teams. We famously let a 330 lb linemen run it back for 71 yards on us so one could imagine what the pro bowler could do.. The field position battle could be big in this game.

Overall this will be a close game, no blowouts in my opinion but I do see the packers winning this one. Maybe its the media getting into my head, Packer bias, but My prediction is 24-21 Packers. I know Matty Ice is clutch in close games and Rodgers is not blah blah blah. The packers have won their last 3 "playoff games" if you will against the Giants, Bears and Eagles and I think they keep on. Thats just the way I see this happening.

Good luck on Saturday.. well not really. how about.. May the best team win? ya sounds good.

Agree with most points apart for final score. All the really good teams we have played this year we have run the clock against. The best way to beat a good team or at least stay with them is to hold onto the ball. I dont expect this to change against the Pack. Honestly I can see this coming down to the last 30 seconds of the game. Man I'm pumped for this. Falcons 17 Packers 14. Matt Ryan to Tony G for the game winning TD, come from behind 15 seconds left on clock. Good luck guys, may the best team win (yes we will):)

It's gonna be a snot-knocker kind of game.

The Packers have one of the best defenses in the league. Atlanta does everything on offense efficiently. Not alot of turnovers and not alot of negative plays. It will be up to the Packers to WIN the game, Falcons will not hurt themselves.

Turner is the type of back Packers have had trouble with all season long. We can combat that of course with 3 big beefy linemen up front, but that takes away from the coverage that GB is so good at. I know everyone thinks "blitz" when you think of the Packers but they are equally adept at coverage so look for Dom Capers to mix it up.

The Atlanta offensive line is probably the best we've ever faced. Not just good, but outstanding. I drool thinking of that line in GB. But if Capers is good at anything, it's confusing the protection packages. So it's gonna be a coin toss.

After the last game, each team knows the others' tendencies, so look for the Packers to limit Turner's gains. Not much anybody can do against the Falcon pass game. They're gonna get theirs. I think a huge part of this game will be to limit Gonzalez. Our best coverage LB is out for the year and nobody has answered the bell as 2nd best. He could be THE key to the game. He might be older, but he's crafty as heck and nobody should take him for granted.

Our secondary is one of the best, you'll get your catches, but be careful on the long balls, we'll snatch those. Just like your team, we don't get the recognition for our secondary. But teams who play us know.

On offense, we will get yardage for James Starks, I know it's popular for your fans to dismiss him since he's a one game wonder but he's not. He's the second coming of Ryan Grant. I know, that's not enough to win on, but Packers dont' need that, we need just enough. And he's Efficient!! get's positive yards. Just like the Falcons. It will be a difference maker I believe, the threat is almost as good as the fact.

Packers can do the short routes as well as you can, the difference is that our receiving corps is deeper, we have that 5th guy that is really good. So I see just a touch or two on deep balls better than the Falcons.

Special teams have been a headache all year, you clearly have the advantage, even if you were ranked 31st. Until the last few weeks that is. Punting and kickoff coverage has been nothing short of average, lol. I don't even want to think about Weems at this point, I AM a Packer fan okay?

I think offenses are even, defense goes to GB, special teams goes to you guys. Coaching is even. This is shaping up to a fooking good game.

I think this is the NFCCC game. Whoever wins here goes to the Super Bowl and wins. Without even thinking about it, I'll be rooting for the winner.

Atlanta is a class organization, looking forward to years of competitive playoffs against you guys, I know we'll both be there. Oh, BTW, I hate the 'Aints' also, just a BS storyline for someone to write a book.

Go Pack!