I guess were stuck with Mike Murlarkey

RHEC

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it looks like Mike isn't going anywhere unless Bronco's still plan on interviewing Mike once our season is over, which I hope is after our superbowl victory. John Fox could be the next Bronco's head coach. I was kinda looking forward of seeing what Musgrave or even McDainels could do to this team.

Edited by Skar

That's COOL because he's the best offensive coordinator in the NFL. He uses solid principles to beat teams with equal or better talent. He goes to the no huddle and right back to the pound the rock at just the right times. I, for one, am really glad he's stayin'. Our players and other coaches have learned a TON from him.

That's COOL because he's the best offensive coordinator in the NFL. He uses solid principles to beat teams with equal or better talent. He goes to the no huddle and right back to the pound the rock at just the right times. I, for one, am really glad he's stayin'. Our players and other coaches have learned a TON from him.

I wouldn't say hes the best OC in the NFL, hes okay but not the best.

Edit: lol at the minus -3... The great power of Rep abuse.

Edited by Skar

I agree with T'Mo. The principles are time-tested and the design of the offense is rock solid. Multiple formations: I, two-back, one-back, empty, spread, it's all there. The tempo can feel like it drags a bit, but I think the pace is what Mike Smith wants, being a defensive-minded coach. Protect the defense by grinding out clock-killing drives.

I would like to see a little more unpredictability, but the Falcons could be doing a lot worse.

The best? I think that is a reach.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it looks like Mike isn't going anywhere unless Bronco's still plan on interviewing Mike once our season is over, which I hope is after our superbowl victory. John Fox could be the next Bronco's head coach. I was kinda looking forward of seeing what Musgrave or even McDainels could do to this team.

The Sporting News offensive coordinator of the year is staying with the Sporting News head coach of the year ? We're doomed.

I agree with T'Mo. The principles are time-tested and the design of the offense is rock solid. Multiple formations: I, two-back, one-back, empty, spread, it's all there. The tempo can feel like it drags a bit, but I think the pace is what Mike Smith wants, being a defensive-minded coach. Protect the defense by grinding out clock-killing drives.

I would like to see a little more unpredictability, but the Falcons could be doing a lot worse.

Well said, on all points.

I would like to see a few more passes down field (even if they are incomplete) just to keep the defensive backs honest. The DB's know we are going to throw mostly short and intermediate stuff and many times can just sit on those routes. It's one reason I think we don't get many yards after the catch.

But what do I know. I'm just an armchair coordinator.

I second that!

I've heard Fran Tarkenton call MM "one of the best" offensive coordinators in the league (actually FT thinks the Falcons as a whole have one of the best coaching staffs in the league).

I know "one of the best" isn't the same as "the best," but it's pretty darned good. It at least implys that FT thinks MM is in the top five.

Even if we do lose MM, we aren't changing offensive styles. Smith and TD specificly brought in MM because of the STYLE of offense he runs. Run oriented power offense. We'll be seeing that same offensive style as long as Smith is the head coach.

Here is what Saints DC Gregg Williams says about him...

He does a very, very good job in making you defend the whole field. He does an excellent job with his personnel packages. He does an excellent job with the tempo that he coaches. And the thing Mike does is make average players good. He makes good players great. And there are some strategic things, too, on how he does that. So I have a lot of respect for him.

What does he do that’s unique? Well, I’m not going to tell you because I don’t want him to know what I know. I’m not looking to help him.

Do you want sexy or do you want results? You won't get both out of the Smith/Mularkey duo, but you're definitely getting results.

And before we all shovel dirt on the 'Mularkey is gone' scenarios, don't forget the college game. If schedules allowed, I don't doubt for a moment that Florida would have made a hard run at MM when they had their opening. As a Florida alum, that might be the only college program MM would have considered, but I still wouldn't rule out a major D1 school if the right package was offered.

Do you want sexy or do you want results? You won't get both out of the Smith/Mularkey duo, but you're definitely getting results.

And before we all shovel dirt on the 'Mularkey is gone' scenarios, don't forget the college game. If schedules allowed, I don't doubt for a moment that Florida would have made a hard run at MM when they had their opening. As a Florida alum, that might be the only college program MM would have considered, but I still wouldn't rule out a major D1 school if the right package was offered.

I like results but we all know that Ryan makes the results when he calls his own plays.

Edit: lol at the minus -3... The great power of Rep abuse.

You mean -10 and counting? This isn't Madden, bro. You don't just change OCs when your winning to get a "name" OC. Then you'd be crying over how long it takes our players to adjust.

Go back to bed, kiddo.

Cheers,

GO

After years of near complete misery we dumped Leeman Bennett for being too boring way back before most of you were born. We had a great running game. We called it three yards and a cloud of dust but it worked. I think I remember Rankin Smith's reasoning was that the team had "plateaued". Only a couple of years before we missed the SB after knocking Staubach out and getting lit up by the punter Danny White. We went back in the toilet for a long time, obviously.

More of you remember Dan Reeves that actually took us to the SB but was also tagged as leaning to boring offense with George Sefcik and Rich Brooks making a run first game plan work. Jammal Anderson got hurt and the offense took a dive. Dan was canned a few short years later and though Taylor Smith never said "plateau" you know he was doing what dad did.

So here we are - boring offense - stingy defense - 13-3 - top seed - and bitching about the guys that got us here. Are the MM haters saying we've plateaued, yet?

You mean -10 and counting? This isn't Madden, bro. You don't just change OCs when your winning to get a "name" OC. Then you'd be crying over how long it takes our players to adjust.

Go back to bed, kiddo.

Cheers,

GO

You do know that we probably wouldn't lose much if Musgrave was promoted to OC right?

After years of near complete misery we dumped Leeman Bennett for being too boring way back before most of you were born. We had a great running game. We called it three yards and a cloud of dust but it worked. I think I remember Rankin Smith's reasoning was that the team had "plateaued". Only a couple of years before we missed the SB after knocking Staubach out and getting lit up by the punter Danny White. We went back in the toilet for a long time, obviously.

More of you remember Dan Reeves that actually took us to the SB but was also tagged as leaning to boring offense with George Sefcik and Rich Brooks making a run first game plan work. Jammal Anderson got hurt and the offense took a dive. Dan was canned a few short years later and though Taylor Smith never said "plateau" you know he was doing what dad did.

So here we are - boring offense - stingy defense - 13-3 - top seed - and bitching about the guys that got us here. Are the MM haters saying we've plateaued, yet?

Agree with most of this... however Reeves was fired by Blank... not Smith

Mularkey is doing a great job. His playbook is

compatible with the team philosophy of being physical.

I had extreme frustrations with him when Norwood was

around because he never got that right. Now with Turner

and Snelling the offense is all it can be just pounding

and that is Mularkey's approach. Pound and pound until

something breaks loose, be it pass or run.