For you ATL residents, have you heard how the road conditions are supposed to be Saturday?

The sun came back out today and will again tomorrow. After barely getting above freezing, temps will be approaching the 40s by Friday and Saturday during the daytime. So, any ice problems should be here and there in round the clock shade. Major roadways are cleaning up finally to the manageable stage, so I'd say go for it. Just be careful heading home after the game since whatever may be left will re-freeze.

you guys in the south kill me. I mean not like in a bad way but it's funny as ****. i was born down there i know your not used to it but still

i mean this is an winter round thing for us up in ohio but you get a little down there and every freaks out. lol stay safe guys lol

Freaking out about the small snows I agree with is silly. But the bigger ones like this one is different. We don't have the resources to deal with it for starters like up north where that is never an issue unless it's an epic blizzard. Go without all of your deicers and scrapers and see how you guys manage.

Besides, we could pick on the yankees whining and acting like it's the end of the world when it hits 90 degrees. People literally start dropping like flies up north if it hits 90..much less 100. So it goes both ways...although of course those up north do far more picking on us for our snow than we do their "heat". ;)

Freaking out about the small snows I agree with is silly. But the bigger ones like this one is different. We don't have the resources to deal with it for starters like up north where that is never an issue unless it's an epic blizzard. Go without all of your deicers and scrapers and see how you guys manage.

Besides, we could pick on the yankees whining and acting like it's the end of the world when it hits 90 degrees. People literally start dropping like flies up north if it hits 90..much less 100. So it goes both ways...although of course those up north do far more picking on us for our snow than we do their "heat". ;)

Haha your barking up the wrong tree at me i love the south.

But living up here i've gotten used to it all. The heat down there is diffrent then up here. It's just so dry when its hot up here. Is what they complain about. I Hate the air quality up here really its bad. I myself love the taste of southern air.

But seriously i was stuck in the ATL Airport for like 2 days in feb 2 years ago over like an inch of snow. that was rediculis. I mean that's a cool airport and i love being down south as much as i can be but cmon lol. My dad lives and i go to school up here. Mom and that side of the family is in North Augusta SC. So i've seen the bad of both sides of the weather. The snow gets bad up here and we run out of salt and the state sucks at picking up country roads (other than when im at school where i live) so i deal with driving in unplowed snow. Love my truck for that

And idk about 90 people complaining. past 100 and people head straight for the air conditioner. Iono. ITs mixed really.

By Saturday all the major roads, and most if not all of the side roads, will be clear and dry. You'll probably still see some snow and ice piled up on the sides, but that should be no problem. Don't let the weather be an excuse.

As for the Northerners who rag us for "a little snow," I will remind everyone that 6"-10" of snow in a short period – which many sections of the South experienced – also shuts down for a time the northern cities. (I've seen too many news films of cars and trucks sliding all over the roads up north after such snowstorms.) While this may be a monthly event during the winter in the northern states it's on average a twice-a-decade experience here in the Sunny South. Anyway, in most areas south of Kentucky and Virginia, even after such snowfalls things almost always more or less clear off naturally after 3-4 days at most. Therefore, for Atlanta and other southern cities to invest in snow removal equipment and the like as would, say, Buffalo or Cleveland would be a gross waste of public resources.

you guys in the south kill me. I mean not like in a bad way but it's funny as ****. i was born down there i know your not used to it but still

i mean this is an winter round thing for us up in ohio but you get a little down there and every freaks out. lol stay safe guys lol

Any place in the world freaks out if the roads have 1 or 2 inch thick ice on every road. This doesn't happen much where you are because once it is cold, it stays cold. The snow stays snow. Here in the south, the temperature is barely enough to make snow, so when we got a lot of it, the ground was warm enough to melt it a little bit turning everything to ice underneath once we fell below 32 degrees again. After the snow, sleet fell and froze another half inch on top of it. Again, up north it stays cold, snow falls, it stays snow, you plow that ****, then continue normal operations. Not to mention your states invest a ton of your tax money in these really expense snow plows while we don't because we don't need them much.

I guess in other words, shut it about the south not knowing how to handle this, because if you had this problem you really couldn't do much better. Icing shuts down any city.

The problem is....Atlanta, due to the lack of poor conditions with any regularity, is simply not prepared for these conditions. No trucks or very few, Salt equpiment for deicing practically non existant, unless things have changed from the last 11 years when I moved to Louisiana. I have traveled to Wisconsin with snow everywhere but the trucks work all night keeping the roads clear. Never seen that in Atlanta before. :P

The problem is....Atlanta, due to the lack of poor conditions with any regularity, is simply not prepared for these conditions. No trucks or very few, Salt equpiment for deicing practically non existant, unless things have changed from the last 11 years when I moved to Louisiana. I have traveled to Wisconsin with snow everywhere but the trucks work all night keeping the roads clear. Never seen that in Atlanta before. :P

Another thing to consider is that here everything is spread out over thousands of miles of roads. Up north population centers are closer together.

Several inches of ice, a limited number of trucks and thousands of miles of pavement is going to make things tough.

And to the OP the roads should be fine by then but I wouldn't plan on parking near the Dome. There's a boat show and a convention and the Hawks or Thrashers could also be playing so parking around the Dome is going to be tough. Take Marta... unless you're a Packers fan then please try to park by the Dome.

:P

citys and countys don't have enough salt trucks and equipment to keep the roads clear with temps below freezing. this happens once a decade and i don't believe since the blizzard of '92. i'm in huntsville, AL and we got 7 inches sunday night/monday morning. if temps stayed in the teens like they are now i'd have a tough time making the trip without sticking to major interstates.

I got through downtown this morning, 85 is a slight mess still there are places where you get down to 2 lanes and then it goes back up to 3 or 3 1/2 at times. I think it would be fine by Saturday. HOWEVER, they're warning that parking could be an issue with all of the events going on:

FANS ENCOURAGED TO RIDE MARTA ON SATURDAY; REMINDER OF AUTHORIZED TICKET SOURCES FOR FALCONS' GAMES

Downtown Atlanta will be packed with numerous activities on Saturday, January 15, highlighted by the Falcons Divisional Playoff game vs. the Green Bay Packers in the Georgia Dome Saturday evening at 8:00 p.m.

In addition to the Falcons’ home playoff game the Georgia World Congress Center will be hosting the 49th Annual Atlanta Boat Show Jan. 13-16 in building C of the convention facility. Georgia’s largest boating event, offers novice and experienced boaters a place to gather under one roof for a rare opportunity to board and compare hundreds of boat brands and everything needed for outdoor fun.

Also taking place in the downtown area will be an Atlanta Hawks home game with the Houston Rockets, which is set for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off at Phillips Arena and the Atlanta International Gift & Home Furnishings Market at AmericasMart on Peachtree Street, open from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Fans that plan on attending the Falcons game are encouraged to arrive early for activities to maximize their fun and enjoyment. Gates will open at 6:00 p.m. and the Falcons’ Landing will begin at 4:00 p.m. Fans without pre-paid parking passes are strongly encouraged to use MARTA (mass transit,www.itsmarta.com) due to limited parking spaces as a result of the other downtown events during the daytime and early evening hours.

The Georgia Dome would also like to remind fans that the game is sold out and there is a potential danger of being sold counterfeit tickets via the secondary market.

The only authorized outlets for Atlanta Falcons playoff tickets are the Georgia Dome ticket office, Atlanta Falcons ticket office and Ticketmaster’s NFL Ticket Exchange program. Buyers who purchase tickets from any other source do so at their own risk.

Any person who purchases a stolen or counterfeit ticket, knowing or unknowing, will be denied admission at the gates and any individual trying to gain entry with a ticket found to be counterfeit could be subject to investigation.

JAN 15th ACTIVITIES ON & AROUND GWCCA CAMPUS

• Atlanta International Gift & Home Furnishings Market: AmericasMart, 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.

• Atlanta Boat Show: Georgia World Congress Center, Building C, 10:00 a.m.- 9:00 p.m.

• Ice Skating: Centennial Olympic Park, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

• Falcons Landing: Outside the Georgia Dome, 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

• Atlanta Falcons vs. Green Bay Packers: Georgia Dome, 8:00 p.m. kickoff

• Atlanta Hawks vs. Houston Rockets: Phillips Arena, 7:00 p.m. tip-off

Does it kill you that the same storm system that caused all of the freaking out in the Atlanta area, also shut down pretty much the entire state of Connecticut, and some shutdown in Mass. with school closings (today), cars sliding all over the place and vehicles crashing into stationary objects and each other. i.e. freaking out up there in a place where it's also a year round thing?

Does it kill you that the same storm system that caused all of the freaking out in the Atlanta area, also shut down pretty much the entire state of Connecticut, and some shutdown in Mass. with school closings (today), cars sliding all over the place and vehicles crashing into stationary objects and each other. i.e. freaking out up there in a place where it's also a year round thing?

Northerners absolutely freakout when they get 85+ weather... :lol: