Ray Hamilton our defensive line coach

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

We are not known to develop defensive ends through our system. Why can other teams take a later round draft pick and turn them into a stud. Luck, maybe or maybe not. I mean I just have to question our Defensive coaching.We can not even turn a top ten pick into a half way decent end. We had to convert him to DT. Look we do not seem to develop young talent at that position. Is it a scouting problem, or is it a coaching problem. Lawrence Sidbury can be coached up I believe. Do we need a better Defensive line coach or what not. Either way it seems the only way for us to get a good defensive end is find someone who has already developed into one, look a t John Abraham. I think we need to look at Ray Hamilton at the end of this year and decide if we can find someone who can be an upgrade at his current job. Maybe its not his fault. But to me I just think we need better results on the D-line and he is not the coach we need on the D-line. I mean yeah he gets credit for John Abraham, guess what he would and was a beast before and after Ray Hamilton.

AM I wrong guys or does any of this make you wonder also if someone else could do a better job coaching up our young d-line picks of the future?

Agreed, none of the DE's besides Abraham have shown they are starting material. Jamaal we all know the story. Biermann is the starter now but his tackles and sack numbers dropped from when he was just rotational. Davis is depth. Sidbury can't even get activated for games.

Then at DT you have Babs who is awesome. Peters looks solid. Jerry hasn't done anything this year. Everyone else isn't worth mentioning.

You guys are over thinking this... Ray is one of the best D-Line coaches in the league...

Abe has had his best years under RAY... So has Babs... No one thought Beirmann would be anything.. The guy is a good rotational guy... Let the guy develop the DE's and bring in more talent..

Sidbury has the talent... He has what it takes to be a RDE... Coach Hamilton said he is developing.. We still need to add a talented LDE tho

Guest atl.falcon4ever

You have been whining a lot lately. I will blame it on having a bye week and disregard all further posts from you

Well noted, maybe your right. Maybe the bye is killing me. At the same note I am adding some valid post I feel. What are you adding to the board except for comments like this. Either way you are a Falcon fan so you are cool with me. Its just when I am thinking about stuff I post it. You may like or not like it. But it makes good conversation. And if I have a question I ask it. If you think my post is so bad, why don't you contribute in a manner other than a slur at me and pick my post apart. If you disagree thats cool, but you can do better than making comments like that. If I am out of line, tell me how and why. I will respect your opinion. And I do not consider it whining. Just always thinking of how we can improve our team as a whole. Is that wrong?

I value your opinion as I do anyone else's. You being a long time member, making replies like that, come on you can do better than that. Just remember I am not trying to go off on you are say your wrong, but come on whats wrong with the post. And if you see something wrong with it can you not elaborate better than the comment you just made. Also if you do not want to read my post, well no hard feeling my fellow Falcon fan.

How could any of us possibly say whether a different coach would have developed guys like Sidbury and Beirmann into better players at this point? The guy is respected. Our coaching staff is very good. I think you're being irrational. Anderson was a bust from Day 1 by the way. There was nothing that Hamilton could have ever done to turn him into a guy worthy of drafting in the the top 10.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

You guys are over thinking this... Ray is one of the best D-Line coaches in the league...

Abe has had his best years under RAY... So has Babs... No one thought Beirmann would be anything.. The guy is a good rotational guy... Let the guy develop the DE's and bring in more talent..

Sidbury has the talent... He has what it takes to be a RDE... Coach Hamilton said he is developing.. We still need to add a talented LDE tho

Yeah maybe your right. I do not know much about Ray Hamilton. Just thinking maybe its not the players all the time but the coaches. Even the best coaches get the boot if expectations are not meet. But if he is one of the best in the league then ok, lets keep him. Just thinking out loud as I always do and trying to find out how we can improve any weakness we have. This is my team since I was 5 years old. I am a die hard fan thinking out loud. It doesn't make me right, but it does bring up issues we have not discussed. The same old, same old gets boring. I just like mixing it up. Good reply though @ ATLJBO

Well noted, maybe your right. Maybe the bye is killing me. At the same note I am adding some valid post I feel. What are you adding to the board except for comments like this. Either way you are a Falcon fan so you are cool with me. Its just when I am thinking about stuff I post it. You may like or not like it. But it makes good conversation. And if I me and pick my post apart. If you disagree thats cool, but you can do better than making comments like that. If I am out of line, tell me how and why. I will respect your opinion. And I do not consider it whining. Just always thinking of how we can improve our team as a whole. Is that wrong?

I value your opinion as I do anyone else's. You being a long time member, making replies like that, come on you can do better than that. Just remember I am not trying to go off on you are say your wrong, but come on whats wrong with the post. And if you see something wrong with it can you not elaborate better than the comment you just made. Also if you do not want to read my post, well no hard feeling my fellow Falcon fan.

I get what you are saying but i definitely he is saying... Name me 4 later round draft picks from the last 3 drafts that put up up the numbers you are looking for ?

For every Jared Allen.. There are atleast 100's of guys that becomes nothing... They are called gems because those guys are not expected to be what they are.. you found a gem.

How could any of us possibly say whether a different coach would have developed guys like Sidbury and Beirmann into better players at this point? The guy is respected. Our coaching staff is very good. I think you're being irrational. Anderson was a bust from Day 1 by the way. There was nothing that Hamilton could have ever done to turn him into a guy worthy of drafting in the the top 10.

Co-sign

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Like I said for the teams sake I had rather you disprove my out loud thinking. Just thinking outside the box. Is there anyone if we did go that route and replace Hamilton that you guys would be high on?

So who is the best Dline coach out there? Is it talent or coaching? Was it just unfortunate that JA98's draft class produced some of the worst top round players in a long time? I was pushing for a top round DE in this last years draft because pass rush was the number one problem but conceded the point upon further research which reveals the best pass rushers drafted are very unpredictable and may come from later rounds just as easily.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

So who is the best Dline coach out there? Is it talent or coaching? Was it just unfortunate that JA98's draft class produced some of the worst top round players in a long time? I was pushing for a top round DE in this last years draft because pass rush was the number one problem but conceded the point upon further research which reveals the best pass rushers drafted are very unpredictable and may come from later rounds just as easily.

I agree with you 110% @ phattwankenobi

Well noted, maybe your right. Maybe the bye is killing me. At the same note I am adding some valid post I feel. What are you adding to the board except for comments like this. Either way you are a Falcon fan so you are cool with me. Its just when I am thinking about stuff I post it. You may like or not like it. But it makes good conversation. And if I have a question I ask it. If you think my post is so bad, why don't you contribute in a manner other than a slur at me and pick my post apart. If you disagree thats cool, but you can do better than making comments like that. If I am out of line, tell me how and why. I will respect your opinion. And I do not consider it whining. Just always thinking of how we can improve our team as a whole. Is that wrong?

I know I haven't been the happiest of campers but I will admit, this bye is killing me. Plus, being snowed in just makes it worse. But trust me my fandom is not wavering. Nothing personal on that comment. Just losing it a bit.

I'm back though.

I really haven't kept up with the DEs drafted in the first round this year, like Brandon Graham, Pierre-Paul, and Derrick Morgan. I think Morgan got hurt and was out for the season. Anyone know how the other two finished the year?

Graham got hurt and JPP did good as a rotational player.

This is why i like the Giants GM... He knows he had Tuck and Osi but he knows Osi is hitting 30 and has had hip injuries... He drafted JPP not for just this year... He drafted JPP for 3 or 4 years down the road when Osi is about to walk (leave the team).. He will have a 3 year young DE ready to step into that spot and produce..

TD talks about it all the time... His job is to see where this team will be 3 or 4 years from now... Thats why you draft a 1st round DE (that you like) ... He will develop into "the guy"

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I know I haven't been the happiest of campers but I will admit, this bye is killing me. Plus, being snowed in just makes it worse. But trust me my fandom is not wavering. Nothing personal on that comment. Just losing it a bit.

I'm back though.

I really enjoy your post and value your opinion. And yes being snowed in is killing me and maybe I just got too much time on my hands. Just trying to think of interesting stuff to talk about. If you are a Falcons fan then you are no enemy of mine. We all got different opinions and I love to hear what everyone is thinking. Just maybe one of these post I start might be on to something, you never no. But really I don't mind my post being picked apart. As a matter if a fact I look forward to it. You guys on these boards no as much as me or more about the Falcons. Thats why I like coming here and posting on these boards. To get a better feel for the team, & learn all I can about the Falcons we all love. But with that said if my post are totally off base I may be losing it. If I am snowed in one more day I am going to go crazy. When you are looking forward to a trip to Wal-Mart or what not, you know its bad.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Graham got hurt and JPP did good as a rotational player.

This is why i like the Giants GM... He knows he had Tuck and Osi but he knows Osi is hitting 30 and has had hip injuries... He drafted JPP not for just this year... He drafted JPP for 3 or 4 years down the road when Osi is about to walk (leave the team).. He will have a 3 year young DE ready to step into that spot and produce..

TD talks about it all the time... His job is to see where this team will be 3 or 4 years from now... Thats why you draft a 1st round DE (that you like) ... He will develop into "the guy"

Good point as usual @ atljbo

So is Sidbury that guy are do we need to look else were?

Good point as usual @ atljbo

So is Sidbury that guy are do we need to look else were?

Sid is a RDE,,, Abe is a RDE...So since Sid is not a high pick.. The Coaching Staff is not forced to play him when they feel he is not ready.. He is developing and learning from the best... What we need is a IMPACT lde..We was looking at Derrick Morgan but he went off the board... at LDE you need someone stout enough to go aginst 330lbs RT's and run the passer.

I think we have to draft an everydown DE with some size. Rotating works well but having a guy in that can handle pass and rush downs is much nicer.

If we had Peppers we would still rotate... its just who we are.. i do agree that a every down LDE would be the way we go... We will rotate regardless but in the 4th Q... Its huge to have a guy that you can keep in vs the run and rush the passer

I disagree.. our D-line has been great.. kroy is amazing isnt he like a 5th round pick and hes an above solid starter.. peters you can say the same.. and JA98 isnt half bad as a DT.. I love our front four we ARE GETTING pressure on the qb with our 4 man rushes..

thing we need to worry about more is our WR corp.. if they step up on the playoffs I believe we win a superbowl :)

D. Orlando Ledbetter, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons are not ready to label DE Jamaal Anderson a bust, even though he has just two sacks in 31 starts. General manager Thomas Dimitroff said, "I thought [assistant coach] Ray Hamilton did a fine job with Jamaal, as far as educating him in so many different areas. I think his arrow is up." Dimitroff added, "I really truly believe that he will continue to develop with this defense that's in place."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/18447/NFL#ixzz1AnpTNTCj

That's from TD. Maybe he said it just to be politically correct, but I don't believe so. I think Smitty brought Ray over with him from Jacksonville for a reason. Continuity is an important aspect of growth and improvement. Smitty wouldn't have brought Ray on if he wasn't confident in his ability.

I think what I've seen out of our D-Line and Ray Hamilton is he gets the most out of the talent level thats in front of him.I think our front 4 has gone really well this year and the defense as a hole has really stepped up.Sure there are a couple of upgrades that would be nice but all in all

I think our front 4 get a solid B+ from me which isn't bad considering.I mean we are seeing improvement every year from this group so I'm really finding it hard to fault Ray Hamilton.

Good point. Bottom line JA98 plays like he should have been drafted--a 3rd or 4th round DT/DE tweener. There were questions about him even before he was drafted. But that said, he's valuable. And where he was drafted is irrelevant now. Kroy was a 5th rounder and he still seems to be ascending. Plus lets face facts. How many sacks do you really expect from the the LDE spot?

Agreed, none of the DE's besides Abraham have shown they are starting material. Jamaal we all know the story. Biermann is the starter now but his tackles and sack numbers dropped from when he was just rotational. Davis is depth. Sidbury can't even get activated for games.

Then at DT you have Babs who is awesome. Peters looks solid. Jerry hasn't done anything this year. Everyone else isn't worth mentioning.

well jerry does have more sacks then peters, and is playing less snaps. So we can`t sit here and say jerry hasnt flashed at all this season... cause he has