Lawrence Sidbury a poor mans Michael Johnson

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I found a nice article on Lawrence Sidbury that I wanted to share. It takes time to develop a defensive end. I have not heard anything about him. Does anyone know of has anyone said how he is coming along? I know John Abraham has had to do something for him, practicing with him week after week. So have we gave up on him or what? Really does anyone have any interesting info. on him?

Anyway here is the article;

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/3/13/796441/lawrence-sidbury-a-poor-ma

People have too many theories on the guy. Too much depth?....errr I dunno about that. Coaching staff is just keeping him a secret? That's the funniest reason.

I think the guy just disappoints and doesn't have the work ethic for this team. Outside of Abraham none of the DE's have established themselves as starting material so if Sidbury showed anything he'd be at least active on gamedays.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

The fans have given up on him. The coaches and more sensible fans know it is a matter of depth and Abe returning to Pro Bowl form.

Would you rather Sidbury or Abe? There is your answer as to why Sid isn't playing.

Yeah but Abe does not play every down. I mean he never really see's the field (Sidbury). Why is that? We all know Abraham is a beast and a pro bowler. But Sidbury could help keep his snap count down but never really plays. So just doesn't make sense. I think come off season if he makes the team next year it will tell us what the coaches think. I have not given up on him, just have to wonder what the Falcons really think of him. As I just started another topic. I think our D-line coach(s) is not very good at coaching up young talent. Maybe good at coaching established talent but thats it, and if there established well most of the work is done. We need to look at our D-line coaches (Ray Hamilton), etc., and reconsider or they the best for the team.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

It's gotta be a coaching work ethic thing. He showed too much promise in the few live snaps he DID get. He had to have gotten in the doghouse somehow.

Yeah I agree, maybe more to it than meets the eye. Very good possibility. Football like everything else has politics, maybe your onto something.

can't be too much depth, as the Falcons have lacked a complement to #55 all season. Bierman is as close as they got, and he's just not that dominant.

if Sidbury could make a difference, he'd be out there. Peters had no problem earning PT.

I found a nice article on Lawrence Sidbury that I wanted to share. It takes time to develop a defensive end. I have not heard anything about him. Does anyone know of has anyone said how he is coming along? I know John Abraham has had to do something for him, practicing with him week after week. So have we gave up on him or what? Really does anyone have any interesting info. on him?

Anyway here is the article;

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/3/13/796441/lawrence-sidbury-a-poor-ma

How long is this one going to take? We haven't had 2 pass rushers at the same time now in forever.

We need a LDE... Sid is not a LDE...We cant try to force him to be that... thats not him.

Its only been 2 seasons... The reason why he was graded as a 2nd round talent but went in the 4th round because scouts felt he was raw.... We should be able to see what Sid can do soon.. When they feel he is ready

We need a LDE... Sid is not a LDE...We cant try to force him to be that... thats not him.

Its only been 2 seasons... The reason why he was graded as a 2nd round talent but went in the 4th round because scouts felt he was raw.... We should be able to see what Sid can do soon.. When they feel he is ready

Didn't Anderson play RDE in college?

Exactly. He is just a natural RDE who is struggling to get playing time behind guys who do their job better than him at this point in time.

What people don't understand is that we run a heavy rotation where coach Smith tries to put guys in situations that fit their strengths. Sidbury's strength is rushing the passer and unfortunately for him, he has a pro bowl guy ahead of him.

When he did play in preseason, I saw nothing to suggest that he isn't progressing like he should be.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Just doesn't make sense. If he is not doing good why not demote him to practice squad or something. When you take Abe out if your gonna develop Sidbury, guess what? You need to give him some reps in real games. I means he is not hurt. We got to keep Abe's snap count down to keep him effective. This is the guy we have listed 2nd on the depth chart behind Abe. He never see's the field. I just do not get it. If we are saving him, then what are we saving him for. Last year with what little time he saw on the field he was productive. He had a sack. Thats more than JA98 had, yet he never gets any playing time. They are going about it a funny way if they are developing him to me.

Exactly. He is just a natural RDE who is struggling to get playing time behind guys who do their job better than him at this point in time.

What people don't understand is that we run a heavy rotation where coach Smith tries to put guys in situations that fit their strengths. Sidbury's strength is rushing the passer and unfortunately for him, he has a pro bowl guy ahead of him.

When he did play in preseason, I saw nothing to suggest that he isn't progressing like he should be.

EXACTLY... Some ppl just dont get that... The guy is a RDE... You cant force him to play the LDE...

In the preseason i can tell he has gotten stronger and his pass rush speed is looking like the speed we want... I still think he had some trouble against the run some.

Just doesn't make sense. If he is not doing good why not demote him to practice squad or something. When you take Abe out if your gonna develop Sidbury, guess what? You need to give him some reps in real games. I means he is not hurt. We got to keep Abe's snap count down to keep him effective. This is the guy we have listed 2nd on the depth chart behind Abe. He never see's the field. I just do not get it. If we are saving him, then what are we saving him for. Last year with what little time he saw on the field he was productive. He had a sack. Thats more than JA98 had, yet he never gets any playing time. They are going about it a funny way if they are developing him to me.

you cant do that... he is no longer PS elgible plus some team will snatch him up in a second... Us keeping him on the 53 man roster should tell fans allot... They could easily cut him if we thought he was just a guy ..

you cant compare JA98 and him.. they have 2 different roles....

Guest atl.falcon4ever

you cant do that... he is no longer PS elgible plus some team will snatch him up in a second... Us keeping him on the 53 man roster should tell fans allot... They could easily cut him if we thought he was just a guy ..

you cant compare JA98 and him.. they have 2 different roles....

Yeah but not really trying to compare, just saying with the little time he got last year out there he got to the quarterback. I think they need to at least give him some reps during games. Whether its after the game has been won or lost, he needs to see action. That will help speed his development up if we can develop him. Like in the Carolina game. Last game of season. We had that game by the end of the 1st quarter. We need to bring him in and play him at times like that at the least.

Yeah but not really trying to compare, just saying with the little time he got last year out there he got to the quarterback. I think they need to at least give him some reps during games. Whether its after the game has been won or lost, he needs to see action. That will help speed his development up if we can develop him. Like in the Carolina game. Last game of season. We had that game by the end of the 1st quarter. We need to bring him in and play him at times like that at the least.

The reason that didnt happen is Sid wasnt on the active game day roster... The reason for that is that he does not do ST (which you have to do if you are a backup)

I want him on the field also.... But yoo...Its not just black and white... The point is,.,, the guy is raw.. We knew that... Lets just let the guy develop... Hopefully we will see him more next year.. We should.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

The reason that didnt happen is Sid wasnt on the active game day roster... The reason for that is that he does not do ST (which you have to do if you are a backup)

I want him on the field also.... But yoo...Its not just black and white... The point is,.,, the guy is raw.. We knew that... Lets just let the guy develop... Hopefully we will see him more next year.. We should.

Ok I am the dumby here I guess but I will ask anyway, why does he not do special teams, I mean I heard he runs the 40 in a pretty good time. The fastest out of all in his draft class. If he is a defensive end that is fast and running down the field he should be able to contribute something to special teams, atleast enough to warrant in on the active roster were than can play him. Seems like he would make an awsome special teams guy. Like maybe even going for the block on field goals or punt returns. Seriously hes got to be good at something on special teams? right?