Brady Hoke to Michigan

Unknøwn

Parts of a news release from the University of Michigan this afternoon:

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon today hired Brady Hoke as the 19th coach in the 131-year history of Michigan football. Hoke arrives in Ann Arbor after spending the past eight seasons as a head coach at Ball State (2003-08) and San Diego State (2009-10).

We are pleased to announce the hiring of Brady,” Brandon said in the release. “He is a terrific coach and will be a great ambassador and leader for our football program. We look forward to having him build a championship program on the field and in the classroom.”

Hoke spent eight seasons in Ann Arbor before embarking on his head coaching career. He mentored the Wolverines defensive line all eight seasons.

A member of Michigan’s national championship staff in 1997, Hoke helped the defense lead the nation in rushing defense at 89 yards per game and 2.7 yards per carry. Michigan’s team posted a 5-3 records against Michigan State, Ohio State and in bowl games during Hoke’s tenure on the staff.

Hoke was named the 2010 Mountain West Conference coach of the year after guiding the Aztecs to a 9-4 record. He led SDSU to its first bowl game in 12 years, a 35-14 victory over Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Hoke took the leadership position at his alma mater, Ball State, in 2003 and built it into a championship program before departing after six seasons for the West Coast.

Hoke has 28 years of collegiate experience, with assistant coaching stints at Grand Valley State (1983), Western Michigan (1984-86), Toledo (1987-88), Oregon State (1989-94) and Michigan (1995-2002).

A 1982 graduate of Ball State, Hoke earned four letters (1977-80) with the Cardinals. He was part of the only two teams in school history to post undefeated conference seasons: as a player in 1978, and as head coach in 2008. Hoke led BSU to the 1978 MAC championship, and as a team captain in 1980 earned All-MAC second team honors.

A native of Dayton, Ohio, Hoke graduated from Fairmont East High School in 1977. Hoke and his wife, the former Laura Homberger, have one daughter, Kelly.

Yeah I agree! I think its a great hire for stability. Some don't like it, but I remember a whole lot of people down here who laughed and hated that whole Chizik hire too.

imo there is no comparison.. hoke has showed me alot at san diego state.. chizik didn't show anything until he brought in cam and fairley. hoke is a great hire.

It has been confirmed that Borges is coming too, so that's good. I miss my days of big WRs and QBs.

another great hire imo.. i am a huge borges fan.. he is very good at what he does and i was afraid florida was going to hire him and when they didn't i was quite happy. i agree with millejb, as long as hoke gets some solid position coaches al will do great imo. i will miss his visits to sportsnite because he really did a great job breaking stuff down.

another great hire imo.. i am a huge borges fan.. he is very good at what he does and i was afraid florida was going to hire him and when they didn't i was quite happy. i agree with millejb, as long as hoke gets some solid position coaches al will do great imo. i will miss his visits to sportsnite because he really did a great job breaking stuff down.

Gorgeous was never our problem it was always Knox and the rest of the BBQ gang

Gotta say I watched the press conference and even though he's not a public speaker, I knew he was exactly the type of guy to run the program. I'm thrilled.

Be thrilled... Not going to save you from us the last game of the year for the next 3 years. TP is going to win his 4th game against michigan next year then your going to be braxton millers ***** after that

Hate michigan. But im an ohio state student i've earned the right.

I mean i dont see how he's a great hire. He's what like 47-53 or something like that? Hows that a great hire?!?!

I'm sick of the rivalry being dead because michigan is never worth anything anymore and one of the embarrasments of the big ten this year

I respect the rivalry but i hate michigan want the rivalry to get the luster back hasent been as exciting in recent years

im

Look further than Hoke's record he took over teams that were horrible like Ball State and SDSU and had them turned around very quickly heck a couple years ago he he had Ball State undefeated and ranked around #15 in the country if you look at how each team improved every year he was there SDSU was 2-10 when he was hired his first year they went 4-8 then this year 9-4 first bowl in 12 years and they won it plus he brings a great OC in Borges who spent 4 years at Auburn and helped them go 41-9 in those years

• 2 weeks later...