My thoughts on Nnamdi Asomugha

Red Rain

As you may not know, Nnamdi Asomugha's contract with Oakland has been voided, and part of the agreement is that Oakland may not franchise him. So he'll be a 100% free agent this offseason.

(1) TD always makes 1 big splash in the offseason. So the statement "we can't afford him" is inaccurate. If TD really wanted him, we could afford him.

(2) We play the Saints twice a year. On top of that, it looks like the Bucs QB is the real deal. We play in a division with two pretty good QBs.

(3) The Saints (again). TD has stated that one of the goals in building the team was to build it so it matched up well against the Saints. One of the primary reasons we drafted Spoon, is it was thought he would be a good match up for Reggie Bush (both covering and open field tackling). The Staints are the most pass happy team in the NFL. Considering we have more than two CBs on the field most of the time against the Saints, we need more quality at the position than just Grimes and Robinson.

(4) Nnamdi Asomugha has said he wants to play for a winner (actually he has said he can't take playing for a loser anymore). If it was just about money, he would have reworked his deal with Oakland (who was willing to pay him more than anybody). So, teams like Washington and Cincy that often just throw money at players are out. Since Nnamdi Asomugha is 29, I also believe teams that are "set to win soon" like Dallas are out also. He has 3 good years, and needs to sign with a team that is winning now. The Falcons are among a handful of teams that look like they will be solid winners over the next 3 years.

There are plenty of good reasons against signing Nnamdi Asomugha, but "we have too much money tied up at CB" isn't one of them. Because we're trying to match up with the Saints, the CB position is one where we need to tie up a lot of money.

It all depends on how much money we give to Brent Grimes.

If you think about it, apart from Dunta, we haven't really got a lot of money invested in our secondary.

Also, I remember Jbo posting a thread recently showing that we have one of the smallest wage bills in the NFL - so the cap space is there if we need it.

With all that said I doubt we sign Aso.

as much as i would like to have aso i dont think it will happen, i to would like us to go get champ. I have said many times i think grimes best spot is the nickel. I would start champ. This would give us expierence, depth, and more flexability over the next couple years.

as much as i would like to have aso i dont think it will happen, i to would like us to go get champ. I have said many times i think grimes best spot is the nickel. I would start champ. This would give us expierence, depth, and more flexability over the next couple years.

Took the words out of my mouth, Grimes has shown how good he is, he can get just as many picks and be out there almost every play like he is now at the nickel

A secondary of Bailey, Grimes, Decoud, Moore and Dunta sounds nice and would allow our Dline to get to the qb with him waiting around a little longer

Edited by KSFALCON

Getting Aso would be awesome, but i just don't see us investing that cash in another cb. Besides, with the emergence of grimes is he necessary? I could see the Bailey signing. He's a definite improvement over Williams. And he may still get a good wage--he's not getting Aso money. I love the idea of a Bailey, Grimes, Robinson, Owens (i haven't given up on him) and possibly Franks (also haven't given up on him) cb rotation. Bailey also would have the ability to back up the safety spots if need be. Or we could put him in at S (deeper) and use Moore on occasion as a rover type close to the box to take advantage of is blitz ability hwithout loss of coverage.

Nnamdi is a pipedream that would immediately give the Falcons the best Secondary in the league. I think Charles Johnson at LDE would give us a similar effect. I would love to bring Champ in as our NB, but I think there are several teams that would out pay us for Champ and promise him a starting position.

there is a reason why the falcons and other teams such as the patriots dont spend as much as other franchises. we are grooming our own players to play to their potentials. outside "mercenaries" tend be to leaders and vets who cooperate with coaches and help mold/shape younger players.

i dont see TD spending the $$$ on nmandi. even if he comes at cheapo, i think our coverage unit in place is developing nicely . dunta is our leader/vet and shutdown CB.

if we were to spend money on outside "FA". it would probably be to replace brian williams and help with out NB and add a solid vet CB like bailey.

ok I am going to put like this. for those that say don't it will happen, I disagree. for ex... did anyone thought we would get TE Tony Gonzalez from KC? no one saw that coming, so anything is possible but I trust TD decision regardless. TD brought us Matt Ryan, Michael Burner Turner, Tony Gonzalez and Dunta Robinson, so anything is possible.