Panthers expected to consider drafting defensive end first

atljbo

Panthers expected to consider drafting defensive end first

By Dan Parr

It was no secret that the Panthers were planning on using the first overall pick in the draft to select a potential franchise quarterback before Stanford's Andrew Luck announced Thursday that he would return to college for his senior season. Luck's surprising decision disappointed Panthers fans, and a new consensus No. 1 pick might not emerge from the remaining field of elite prospects entering the draft. Carolina's main focus is on its head-coaching search this weekend, as GM Marty Hurney and team president Danny Morrison are on the road interviewing candidates to replace John Fox. That said, there has been plenty of speculation as to who will rise to replace Luck atop the Panthers' draft board. Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers, who led the nation in sacks in 2010 (15½), is one of the favorites. He's considered the best defensive end available and picking him would fill a need for the Panthers. Their best defensive end, Charles Johnson, is due to become a free agent this offseason.

I hope they are dumb enough to let Charles Johnson walk.

They have Brown, Norwood and Hardy at DE. That's a lot of young talent and Charles Johnson is probably going to want a lot of money. This could very well happen.

I have said this a number of times. That is a lot of talent tied to one position and DE is the only other reasonable position to take at #1 in this draft. Taking Bowers would make it 4 players with 1st round potential at some point in their draft processes (Hardy his JR year, Brown, Norwood may be a stretch lol).

I have said this a number of times. That is a lot of talent tied to one position and DE is the only other reasonable position to take at #1 in this draft. Taking Bowers would make it 4 players with 1st round potential at some point in their draft processes (Hardy his JR year, Brown, Norwood may be a stretch lol).

They could take A.J. Green as well. I see what you are saying though. I can definitely see them taking Bowers.

They could take A.J. Green as well. I see what you are saying though. I can definitely see them taking Bowers.

Taking a WR #1 wouldn't make much sense. Too much risk involved (even though I think Green is a more stable prospect than Bowers)

Tough spot to be in without Luck there. No player jumps out at you as first overall and the resulting financial commitment, whatever that might be post CBA. Patrick Peterson might be of interest to Carolina, given the recent investment they already have at DE. They need to trade down after sacrificing their 2nd rounder to New England, but will have a hard time finding a willing partner.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Well I doubt we ever would but what would it take for us to move up to Carolina's pick? They might be willing to take a lot less than its worth for draft picks / players since they are rebuilding. And then we take Da'Quan Bowers are who ever we see fit to take that is the best at what we need. Not saying its a good idea, but what do you think it would take if they are desperate enough to move out of the 1st pick and we see a prospect that the Falcons just feel is as can't miss and the piece of the puzzle for out team that we are missing? So what would it take to get the 1st pick from Carolina? And if we did, who would we pick?

Sometimes desperate teams can do desperate things to get out of a situation they do not wanna be in.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

move up for the 1st overall? probably this year's first and second, next year's first and second and the first and second the year after.

In that case not no...!!!!

but he11 no...!!!! :lol:

Panthers just hired Rivera (San Diego'S DC) as HC. I wonder if they are changing the scheme on D and if they do, if they will keep Charles Johnson.

I don't think he can really fit, good news for us.

I really really really doubt they change the scheme. They are built for a 4-3 and Rivera has a TON of experience in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

Johnson's status is up in the air. Who knows what the Panthers will do about him.

With the emergence of Charles Johnson though, I'm, again, confident in the Panthers ability to choose talent at the DE position. Brown/Hardy could emerge.

Hopefully, Johnson, wherever he goes, he gets paid. Guy has been a great replacement for Peppers , in terms of production.

:Added: Rivera has extensive knowledge of 3-4 and 4-3. He was the Bears DC from '04 to '06. Bears ran 4-3.

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

I think it will be A.J. Green. Gotta' give your young QB some talent to throw to. They'll be smart to keep Johnson and work with their young DE's instead of adding another young DE. Nick Fairley seems like the 2nd likely choice after A.J. Green, but I think Fairley is as far from a sure thing as you can get. He's had a great year, but he's got too many questions, including his maturity. Overall, I think the obvious choice would be to take A.J. Green. WR's typically are safe picks, especially someone like Green whose had 3 different QB's throwing to him throughout his collegiate career.

With Rivera Being names as head coach i can see him changing their defensive front 7 to a 3-4 like what he ran in SD, That could be good because charles johnson is not a 3-4 DE or OLB.

he already said he is running a 4-3 which is more suited for Carolina and likely what he is more comfortable with.

With Rivera Being names as head coach i can see him changing their defensive front 7 to a 3-4 like what he ran in SD, That could be good because charles johnson is not a 3-4 DE or OLB.

Rivera is not going to change their defense to a 3-4. That is completely stupid. That would take 3-4 years to complete. Just look at how long Kansas City suffered while trying to make the switch. He's very good in the 4-3, he will keep them in a 4-3 at all costs.