Solomon: Saban bumps into another controversy.

SacFalcFan

1) It is perfectly fine for Saban to be at Sanders' school (no issues there).

2) It is perfectly fine for Saban to run into Sanders while at the school (no issues there).

3) It is perfectly fine for Saban to have dialogue with Sanders while at the school (no issues there).

The question is whether Saban's comments were excess dialogue. It appears Saban asked him about his injury and told him that Alabama needed running backs, including a comment that Ingram was declaring pro. Now maybe there was more to the conversation, but I think anybody would agree that conversation could take place in 10 seconds. Sanders described the encounter as: "I saw him for a quick moment passing by in the halls."

Either way, this would be a secondary issue so I am not too concerned about it. But I will say this, the NCAA needs to clearly define what is excess dialogue in these situations. When you have gray area, good recruiters, like Saban, are going to push it right up to the line until the NCAA defines it.

"Its not about sequestering the players its a matter of who should be more responsible a 20 year old player or a 40 year old man who is suppose to be a professional. If they quit acting like pimps and act like professionals we wouldn't have this problem."

I just thought that was a perfect quote to sum up this whole subject. But you're right Crimson, its about making sure the NCAA dot their i's and cross their t's because these "40 year old men" are going to push these rules to the limits.

Edited by Andrew

"Its not about sequestering the players its a matter of who should be more responsible a 20 year old player or a 40 year old man who is suppose to be a professional. If they quit acting like pimps and act like professionals we wouldn't have this problem."

I just thought that was a perfect quote to sum up this whole subject.

The comparison between a coach talking with a recruit at his school and an agent enticing college players with gifts and money that could impact their amateur status is not accurate in my opinion.

The whole point for Saban's comments is the impact it has on college athletes with the lack of repercussions for the unscrupulous agents. In this situation, there is obviously no impact on Barry Sanders, Jr. and there is the potential for Saban and/or Alabama to be reprimanded if there was indeed a violation.

Yeah, the NCAA loves Alabama. Five guys suspended five games for selling test booklets that cost a quarter.

I get that but that's in the past. Bama is a powerhouse now and the NCAA doesn't like to interfere with teams that have too much to gain. Just look at the ridiculous rulings of AU and OSU this year, that should tell you something.

I get that but that's in the past. Bama is a powerhouse now and the NCAA doesn't like to interfere with teams that have too much to gain. Just look at the ridiculous rulings of AU and OSU this year, that should tell you something.

I agree with you on that point. The NCAA definitely seems to be taking the position that they will do what it takes to not interfere with their money train.

The comparison between a coach talking with a recruit at his school and an agent enticing college players with gifts and money that could impact their amateur status is not accurate in my opinion.

The whole point for Saban's comments is the impact it has on college athletes with the lack of repercussions for the unscrupulous agents. In this situation, there is obviously no impact on Barry Sanders, Jr. and there is the potential for Saban and/or Alabama to be reprimanded if there was indeed a violation.

We're talking about the same thing, coaches and agents recruiting players. Sabans comments were obviously a jab at agents taking advantage of young men. His jab was referencing 40 year old men (agents) not acting responsibly. The only difference I see is agents are taking advantage of young men where as a college coach is taking advantage of a kid....its very obvious. It comes down to representation, whether its a agent making a move on a college athlete and wanting to invite them to a party or event that they're sponsoring, or a coach manipulating rules to be in front of the recruit to try and sway him to they're school. Both of them, the agents and coaches, are using sales tactics to try and recruit these players. There is a reason the NCAA have these rules in place and thats try and protect these kids from being manipulated.

We're talking about the same thing, coaches and agents recruiting players. Sabans comments were obviously a jab at agents taking advantage of young men. His jab was referencing 40 year old men (agents) not acting responsibly. The only difference I see is agents are taking advantage of young men where as a college coach is taking advantage of a kid....its very obvious. It comes down to representation, whether its a agent making a move on a college athlete and wanting to invite them to a party or event that they're sponsoring, or a coach manipulating rules to be in front of the recruit to try and sway him to they're school. Both of them, the agents and coaches, are using sales tactics to try and recruit these players. There is a reason the NCAA have these rules in place and thats try and protect these kids from being manipulated.

That is quite a stretch. We will just have to agree to disagree.

If you look at all of the top recruiting programs you will see that they go right up to the boundary of the rules and even a little beyond. And why not? It works and it's not like they're going to be punished for it. The NCAA is far more concerned with exploiting 18-22 year olds and keeping them in a state of indentured servitude than making sure that programs abide by the rules.