Mularkey tells Broncos, "Thanks,...

Falconcheff

Mularkey today cancelled his Friday interview with Broncos team officials, citing, "I'm focused on the Atlanta Falcons playoff run at this time. If the job is still open in Feb, we'll talk then."

Interestingly enough, however, Mularkey will still interview with Cleveland before ATL's first playoff game.

EDIT: I see it's already posted. Please reply to Original Topic.

Edited by Falconcheff

He said he didn't want to do back to back interviews because he wanted to concentrate on the playoffs and chose Cleveland because that is who he committed to doing the interview with first. I have a lot of respect for his integrity for his commitment to the Falcons and honoring at least his first interview.

I posted this in the other thread as well, but it is what I feel is the truth:

The fact that he is still interviewing with the Browns but not the Broncos tells me two things: It's about MONEY and FRONT OFFICE.

Mularkey is coming from THIS situation, where he came in with Smitty and TD; all of whom know what they are doing and have a clear plan to get there. The Broncos now are a hodgepodge of front office duds from Elway to Joe Ellis to Brian Xanders; no one knows who is in charge. Why would MM get himself into THAT situation, when he could stay here with the epitome of professionalism and continuity?

Second, the Donkeys are on the hook for Shanny's salary AND McD's salary; how much will they realistically pay their new coach??

Cleveland has a more stable FO AND salary capability.

I posted this in the other thread as well, but it is what I feel is the truth:

The fact that he is still interviewing with the Browns but not the Broncos tells me two things: It's about MONEY and FRONT OFFICE.

Mularkey is coming from THIS situation, where he came in with Smitty and TD; all of whom know what they are doing and have a clear plan to get there. The Broncos now are a hodgepodge of front office duds from Elway to Joe Ellis to Brian Xanders; no one knows who is in charge. Why would MM get himself into THAT situation, when he could stay here with the epitome of professionalism and continuity?

Second, the Donkeys are on the hook for Shanny's salary AND McD's salary; how much will they realistically pay their new coach??

Cleveland has a more stable FO AND salary capability.

That's enough reading between the lines to make one go crossed eyed. Mularkey said he would be willing to meet with the Broncos after the season. The only time they can interview is on a bye. I realize it's far less controversial but I'll stick by what he said for now.

I'm not saying your theory is necessarily off I'm just saying I'm sticking with the facts spoken for now but it's every assistant coaches dream to be the head coach especially if he feels like he has something to prove after his unsuccessful run in Buffalo.

Audio there. called him Mark a few times

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/john-elway-planning-to-interview-mark-mularkey-for-broncos-head-coach/46215

John Elway Planning to Interview ‘Mark Mularkey’ for Broncos Head Coach

Some big news was announced over the weekend in Denver, but because of the holidays it didn’t receive a ton of national attention. Three days later, the sports world got its first glimpse of John Elway: Broncos exec. Elway, who won two Super Bowls with the Broncos, met the media Wednesday for the first time in his new role as VP of Football Operations.

One of Elway’s first responsibilities will be hiring a new head coach. Number seven recited the names of coaches on their list to interview, but gave fans reasons for concern. Though he was highly inspirational and persuasive in his news conference, he kept getting the name of one of the coaching candidates wrong. Elway kept calling Mike Mularkey, the former Bills head coach and current offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons, “Mark Mularkey.”

Either John was brain cramping in the moment, has a mental block with Mularkey’s name, or is so unfamiliar with the man he didn’t know his name. Let’s give Elway the benefit of the doubt and hope the screwup was due to reason one or two. Here’s how it sounded:

Here are two problems that I have. One, he wants to bring in coaches for interviews just to get their opinion of the team. That’s like the tutor asking the student to teach him the subject. Two, he hasn’t exactly picked out people he thinks will make good head coaches, but rather the guys the rest of the pro football world has ordained as the top candidates. Not exactly an expression of ingenuity from Elway. Let’s hope for the sake of Broncos fans he can turn things around. Thanks to Pro Football Talk for pointing out the Mike/Mark thing.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Just makes me wonder if Arthur Blank or Thomas Dimitroff has kinda let him no we want him here and might pull a Jerry Jones were he gives his offensive coordinator a big payday or something to that nature.

Something about Denver is making it look like a choice he doesn't want.

Cleveland already has there hooks in him.

I mean either way if your focused on the team then you take no interviews. But Cleveland asked, first, doubtful that was in his decision. I think something in Denver makes the position less desirable or either Cleveland has made it known to him that he is there first choice are he really wants to be there.

I could be totally off and totally wrong, but to take one interview and not the other. I mean its got to be more than meets the eye, as it always is. I mean how much additional planning do you have to do for two interviews. M.M. does his thing and knows how he would approach any head coaching interview for the most part. He wants to run a likewise offense to what we have here, and play on the players strengths that he has. Plain and simple.

Edited by atl.falcon4ever