Has Abe Actually Performed Up to His Numbers?

HolyMoses

No doubt Abe has put up some monster sack numbers this year. I have NOT done the research so I don't have anything to objectively support what I'm about to say. So it is fair to flame me for hating, though that is not my intent.

It SEEMS like Abe has gotten a lot of his sacks in "garbage time" . . . Situations when the game has been decided or is not in the balance. It seems like there have been many times in key situations when the we have been unable to get pressure on the quarterback. It also SEEMS like he does not respect his run and backside responsibilities. (The notable exception that might make the rule was the sweet play he made against the run last Sunday.) It doesn't SEEM like he has a lot of tackles. (And yes, I recognize that he is on the field more in passing situations.) It also SEEMS like we get burned on a lot of reverses. It's been Jamal. It's been Kroy. But it has also been Abe.

I think he's had a fine year. But I have this visceral feeling that he has not been as valuable to the TEAM as his individual numbers suggest.

I'm curious if any of the folks around here who pay closer attention than I do and are more knowledgeable agree.

Flame away!?

Edited by holymoses

No doubt Abe has put up some monster sack numbers this year. I have NOT done the research so I don't have anything to objectively support what I'm about to say. So it is fair to flame me for hating, though that is not my intent.

It SEEMS like Abe has gotten a lot of his sacks in "garbage time"

Even if this is true, couldn't the same thing hold for all players' sack numbers?

It SEEMS like Abe has gotten a lot of his sacks in "garbage time" . . . Situations when the game has been decided or is not in the balance. It seems like there have been many times in key situations when the we have been unable to get pressure on the quarterback. It also SEEMS like he does not respect his run and backside responsibilities. (The notable exception that might make the rule was the sweet play he made against the run last Sunday.) It doesn't SEEM like he has a lot of tackles. (And yes, I recognize that he is on the field more in passing situations.) It also SEEMS like we get burned on a lot of reverses. It's been Jamal. It's been Kroy. But it has also been Abe.

I think he's had a fine year. But I have this visceral feeling that he has not been as valuable to the TEAM as his individual numbers suggest.

I'm curious if any of the folks around here who pay closer attention than I do and are more knowledgeable agree.

Flame away!?

I will just say one word: wrong

Flame away!?

You know I actually wondered this to myself earlier in the year.

However, all doubts were reversed after seeing him play recently, especially against the Saints a couple of weeks ago. He was all over the field that night, like a mad-man!

I think he's actually peaking right now, as well as the defense; which is Fan-Fuggin-Tastic!!

Edited by O-TownFalcon

You know I actually wondered this to myself earlier in the year.

However, all doubts were reversed after seeing him play recently, especially against the Saints a couple of weeks ago. He was all over the field that night, like a mad-man!

I think he's actually peaking right now, as well as the defense; which is Fan-Fuggin-Tastic!!

I totally agree with you. I forgot how well he played against the Saints.

Yeah....um......no.

Abe and Babs have been the anchors of this line, as I expected they would be. What you aren't considering, is how many times he's gotten so close to taking the QB down that although he's not adding to his sack total, he's generating tremendous pressure and forcing bad decisions.

Yeah....um......no.

Abe and Babs have been the anchors of this line, as I expected they would be. What you aren't considering, is how many times he's gotten so close to taking the QB down that although he's not adding to his sack total, he's generating tremendous pressure and forcing bad decisions.

Absolutely and you also have to take into consideration how teams will line up a

tight end on him and basically just take him out of the play but that is also where

you will see either Bierman or usually Babs bust through" even when you take the

Predator out of the play physically he still affects the play. ;)

Flame away!?

Your gut is wrong. Plain and simple.

It SEEMS like Abe has gotten a lot of his sacks in "garbage time" . . .

"Garbage time"? The Falcons have had very few, if any, games this season that involved "garbage time". In their 13 victories, the Falcons average margin of victory is 11 points; a margin which I wouldn't necessarily say qualifies as resulting in many "garbage time" games.

In the only true blowout the Falcons had all year, Abe had no sacks.

2 sacks against the Saints

2 sacks against the Ravens

2 sacks against the Browns

2 sacks against the Bengals

1 sack against the Packers

1 sack agains the Steelers

The Falcons trailed all of these games at some point in the second half except for the Packers game, and we all know that game was decided on the last play.

So...I think in this case, your perception is failing you a little bit.

Conversely.

Had Abe not made any "Garbage Time" sacks, something would

indeed be wrong.

Bottom line is that, this is the NFL.

A sack is a sack regardless of team or situation, because the

opponents are all paid good money to keep you from sacking

their Quarterback.