LUCK TO RETURN TO STANFORD

darkdude41

My main concern now is, there is no one of true value worthy of the #1 pick and they can't trade down. Peterson and that one DT are talented as h3ll, but, neither of them can throw a football and help the offense.

With Luck out of the equation, I guess it'll be interesting to see who rises to the top during/after the combine.

My main concern now is, there is no one of true value worthy of the #1 pick and they can't trade down. Peterson and that one DT are talented as h3ll, but, neither of them can throw a football and help the offense.

With Luck out of the equation, I guess it'll be interesting to see who rises to the top during/after the combine.

There's always Tony Pike, Jimmy C!, or worst case Vince Young.

Shanahan is supposed to be a genius when it comes to offense....... he couldn't even make McNabb look good. =\.

Luck is heralded as the best prospect since Elway (The way he has no flaws in his skill set and is beastly). Without him in the draft, the draft will be just like the ones in '10, '09, '08, '07, '06, '05, etc... a turkey shoot where no qb prospect is really considered the universal "best of the best".

Maybe Mallet, Newton, Locker...or one of the many others will find a way to rise their stock before the draft starts.

Vince Young/AJ Green is our best hope now. Or we can try to trade Williams/Stewart for a high second round pick and target DaQuan Bowers at the top and then add an offensive weapon in the second...sigh. There's just not a good option here. Carolina has three rookie wide receivers and two young, talented defensive ends. Now we're picking first in a draft where the two logical choices are a receiver and a defensive end. The only other two guys are Fairley and Peterson, and while corner may be a position of need, we don't need two obscenely highly paid corners. Fairley was good in college, but not a Suh-type talent who's a total lock to be dominant. This blows.

Newton looks like he has the potential to be a great Qb, He just needs so much work. Panthers have never had a duel threat qb, and I wouldn't trust them to develop him, and if they can't develop him, he's definitely not worth a #1 pick.

I don't know, that is really hard to say. The thing he has going for him is that he knows how to win in college. If that translates into the NFL, he would be worth the first pick for sure. It will be interesting to see if the Panthers think it will.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

My armchair GM advice for CAR:

Go for McNabb and draft good WR or TE.

Nah........They need to draft a punter with that #1 pick!

JR's plan to go cheap this season to save money for after the new CBA is inked, has back-fired. They're pretty much stuck with that pick, I don't see any other team trading up.

I don't think the Panthers will be competeive in the division for 5 years.

Not necessarily, they could let the clock run out on the pick and draft later, the problem is the player they end up picking will want #1 money.

Shanahan is supposed to be a genius when it comes to offense....... he couldn't even make McNabb look good. =\.

Luck is heralded as the best prospect since Elway (The way he has no flaws in his skill set and is beastly). Without him in the draft, the draft will be just like the ones in '10, '09, '08, '07, '06, '05, etc... a turkey shoot where no qb prospect is really considered the universal "best of the best".

Maybe Mallet, Newton, Locker...or one of the many others will find a way to rise their stock before the draft starts.

Key word there. Shanny is over-rated and couldn't even get a title out of Elwat till Terrell jumped on board. And shanny seems to have gotten like Bill Parcells in his old age, a stubborn ### bitter old man, and the nepotism gene is strong there.

I do think McNabb is washed up tho, but Shanny isn't helping the situation.

Vince Young would be the better choice.Or Peyton manning. That would be a coup! :lol: . Anything would be an upgrade there, not to pile on.

I'm still unsure about Clausen. He was horrible, but I have to think, that the check downs he threw 95% of the time were called directly from either Fox or Davidson, otherwise, surely they would've stepped up and told him that is not what an NFL QB is supposed to do all game, every game, right?............. Right?...

Any of you know anything about Gabbert? I've only recently starting hearing/seeing a bunch of people talking about him, hyping him up. I've never seen him play. Is he good?

There isn't a QB left worth the pick. Gabbert folds under pressure, Mallet is potentially a product of a system who also doesn't do well under pressure, Luck doesn't produce as well as his tools lead you to think he should, and Newton is raw raw raw raw raw. He also has some legitimate character concerns, and Jerry Richardson doesn't really do that. I still think Vince Young is the best option, then add Green. Start Green and Gettis and move Smith to the slot and have him play a Wes Welker type role. You've got a solid offense there, and the defense was playoff worthy this year. Potentially playoff worthy team right there I think.

There isn't a QB left worth the pick. Gabbert folds under pressure, Mallet is potentially a product of a system who also doesn't do well under pressure, Luck doesn't produce as well as his tools lead you to think he should, and Newton is raw raw raw raw raw. He also has some legitimate character concerns, and Jerry Richardson doesn't really do that. I still think Vince Young is the best option, then add Green. Start Green and Gettis and move Smith to the slot and have him play a Wes Welker type role. You've got a solid offense there, and the defense was playoff worthy this year. Potentially playoff worthy team right there I think.

I just don't see Richardson going after VY. You know how @nal he is about image, even though he, himself, has sunk us this season.

I'd get a qb coach in there that can develop Clausen. You just can't see a rookie play as horribly as Clausen did and think it's all his fault. Those check downs, I swear were the work of Fox and company. The QB Coach sucked azz also.

Rip Scherer is horrible. He worked with Quinn, Anderson with the Browns..then he came to Carolina in '09 and all of a sudden, Delhomme has one of the worst meltdowns in NFL history... Then he works with Clausen and all of a sudden Clausen looks like one of the worst rookie qbs of the last two decades?

The interview Richardson gave today.......... gives me hope.

He’s planning to change the Panthers’ philosophy. For years the team leaned on a tough defense. But now he says the NFL is so offense-oriented that offensive coordinators and quarterback coaches are nearly as important as head coaches. Richardson said the Panthers will hire a new head coach first, but then go hard at offensive assistants. And no matter the coaches, he says the Panthers are going to open up.

“The NFL has changed, in the last five years, dramatically,” he said. “We would be foolish not to stay in sync with that… We didn’t score enough points. First thing, they (fans) want us to win. But after that, they want us to score points and they want excitement.”

A Carolina Panthers team that attempts to have an offense made for passing.......... as a fan, I don't know what to think. I've been wanting that for a very long time.