The best thing about this team

I fully expect the Falcons to make a strong SB run and ultimately make it to the big game. They are IMO the most complete team in these playoffs including the Patriots. But I just heard something on 680 the fan that made me realize that being in the playoffs this year is not the best part about this team. After going 13-3, playing so consistently all year long, making it to the post season, winning the NFCS, securing the #1 seed in the NFC and HFA, after all of these great accomplishments, the best thing about this team is that once this season ends, we can all feel secure in knowing that it wasn't a fluke and that the whole thing will not fall apart next year. I know you long term fans know that feeling of just waiting for the other foot to drop. Maybe you feel a little that way this year IDK. But Arthur Blank, Rich McKay, Thomas Dimitroff & Mike Smith have built an organization that will compete for championships for years to come and after all is said and done that just be the best part about this team.

Couldn't agree more. Even the year we went to the SB, there was the feeling that the team was special because it was over-achieving. Then, the offseason came, and there was negative occurances, and it was back to being the old Falcons. Then, of course, Jam goes down early in the season, and it truly was back to being the same old Falcons.

The leadership have changed the entire attitude and the expectations for this team, and you have to be thankful for that...

I fully expect the Falcons to make a strong SB run and ultimately make it to the big game. They are IMO the most complete team in these playoffs including the Patriots. But I just heard something on 680 the fan that made me realize that being in the playoffs this year is not the best part about this team. After going 13-3, playing so consistently all year long, making it to the post season, winning the NFCS, securing the #1 seed in the NFC and HFA, after all of these great accomplishments, the best thing about this team is that once this season ends, we can all feel secure in knowing that it wasn't a fluke and that the whole thing will not fall apart next year. I know you long term fans know that feeling of just waiting for the other foot to drop. Maybe you feel a little that way this year IDK. But Arthur Blank, Rich McKay, Thomas Dimitroff & Mike Smith have built an organization that will compete for championships for years to come and after all is said and done that just be the best part about this team.

Right on, bro, right on. We are built to last, and on our way to being a dynasty. And we're probably gonna win it all this year too.

I've been a Falcons fan from the very start of the Falcons, this is the first time EVER that I think we finally got it all together both on the field and in the front office.

Of course I do reserve the right to question any thing they do after all I'm just a fan ;):lol:B)

I've only been around since 78, but ditto on the rest.

Couldn't agree more. Even the year we went to the SB, there was the feeling that the team was special because it was over-achieving. Then, the offseason came, and there was negative occurances, and it was back to being the old Falcons. Then, of course, Jam goes down early in the season, and it truly was back to being the same old Falcons.

The leadership have changed the entire attitude and the expectations for this team, and you have to be thankful for that...

98 was an old team full of hired guns and upcoming free agents. There were some expectations for the following year, of course, but at least in hindsight, it was pretty clear it wasn't a sustainable model.

This team is 90% home grown, and pretty young. We do have some departures coming up, or at least guys who'll need to be resigned, but we'll be able to maintain a core. Right now, so long as we're able to maintain a good OL and find our next generation of pass rushers, we're set for another 3 consecutive winning seasons.

I've been a Falcons fan from the very start of the Falcons, this is the first time EVER that I think we finally got it all together both on the field and in the front office.

Of course I do reserve the right to question any thing they do after all I'm just a fan ;):lol:B)

Well played Ghost..lol...these young whippersnappers!!! :)

The Atlanta Falcons are being built to be able to compete for championships for many years to come.

Yes we are! But I'll tell you what; the NFC South is becoming the new Black and Blue division. The Saints are a dam good team under good leadership. The Bucs are very much up and coming and are gonna be real trouble. The Panthers are at rock bottom but we as Falcons fans know how quickly that can change. This year has been tremendous for us, but it ain't gonna get any easier. The next 4-5 seasons, IMO, are gonna put the NFC South on the map as the best and most competitive division in professional football.

Yes we are! But I'll tell you what; the NFC South is becoming the new Black and Blue division. The Saints are a dam good team under good leadership. The Bucs are very much up and coming and are gonna be real trouble. The Panthers are at rock bottom but we as Falcons fans know how quickly that can change. This year has been tremendous for us, but it ain't gonna get any easier. The next 4-5 seasons, IMO, are gonna put the NFC South on the map as the best and most competitive division in professional football.

Hard to argue with that, our Organization has established itself as topflight and

still rising on and off of the field and something we can all be very proud of...

I like our chances this year to take it to the house...in 98 we weren't supposed to make it past The Vikings...and then the team gets down to Superbowl week and acts like what they were(a team who had never been there before) and it's hookers and blow on the beach...team shows up Superbowl Sunday and gets shellacked!...this year's model is NOT that year's model...and i agree, a foundation has been laid for long term success...and while a ton of credit is due to Coach Smith and Dimitroff, I think the big difference is in our ownership...Mr. Blank floundered for a bit looking for the right guys, but a successful business man does not make a gozillion dollars without knowing how to solve problems within the structure of a big enterprise......

the past 3 seasons would've NEVER happened under Rankin Smith's watch.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Me and you are truly on the same page. I mean I could not have said it any better.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I agree we are turning into the best division in football. I mean the Saints and Bucs are not bad teams at all to say the least. And the Panthers have no were to go but up. The Panthers have the draft picks and if they make some good choices still have many play makers on that team. Don't expect them to have another season like this year. Next year this division is going to be scary if it wasn't already. I do not no if that is a good thing are bad thing. But I figure we play all teams in our division at least twice a year. So if they are good, when we play them it will make us better. We are going to have one he11 of a time wrapping this division up next year, just as this year. I mean it took until the last game of the season to do it this year.

Couldn't agree more. TD often mentions building this organization to be '"relevant" for many years. The best thing is the working relationship between TD and MS. Can not wait until we get to the point where TD can manipulate the draft and select best players available like the Pats organization is doing now. I think we are close, maybe one good draft away from being at that point.

Edited by gritzblitz

Ah the Smithbillies. How I don't miss their ownership. _tardpat__by_crakaemotes.gif

No kidding. I'm sure a lot of you are Braves fans also and it's really amazing to someone like me who has followed the Falcons and Braves since the late 60's. I mean both organizations for so many years were IMO the laughing-stocks of their sport and now.....all I can say is what a turn around by both teams. It's very refreshing is all I can say.

My first thought was "the best part of this team is it's OURS!" but then I thought about it a little more...

The best part of this team is the team. From the top to the bottom, they are a team. They're in it together, day in and day out... wins and losses. There's no finger pointing, they share every victory and every defeat - every accoldade and every damnation. Our brilliant owner supports the players fully and stays out of the way of football operations (unlike a certain gentleman in Dallas), our coach is realistic and emotional, not to mention fully bought in!, and our front office (TD and co.) are believers! While I can never know if it's true - it sure seems like these fine men and women (of the ATL organization) are in it for the fans, wins, and ultimately a championship. I don't get the "mo money mo money" vibe at all.

So, yeah... the best thing about this team is TEAM.

My first thought was "the best part of this team is it's OURS!" but then I thought about it a little more...

The best part of this team is the team. From the top to the bottom, they are a team. They're in it together, day in and day out... wins and losses. There's no finger pointing, they share every victory and every defeat - every accoldade and every damnation. Our brilliant owner supports the players fully and stays out of the way of football operations (unlike a certain gentleman in Dallas), our coach is realistic and emotional, not to mention fully bought in!, and our front office (TD and co.) are believers! While I can never know if it's true - it sure seems like these fine men and women (of the ATL organization) are in it for the fans, wins, and ultimately a championship. I don't get the "mo money mo money" vibe at all.

So, yeah... the best thing about this team is TEAM.

Well put.