Titans will keep Fisher, boot Young

Unknøwn

It appears that Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams has finally come to the realization that his coach, Jeff Fisher, and his quarterback, Vince Young, simply can’t coexist.

And in a surprisingly sensible decision, Adams has decided to go with Fisher.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports that Adams has made the decision that the team is moving on without Young, and he won’t be on the roster in 2011. Sources tell Wyatt the Titans plan to either release or trade Young.

Although the Titans haven’t officially announced that Fisher will be back to coach the Titans in 2011, all indications are that he will — and the Titans will be on the market for a new quarterback, one who can play for Fisher.

And Young will be looking for work.

**Updated Stats since 1994, Jeff Fisher's 1st season

Mike Singletary was 18-22 during his stint as HC of the 49ers.....over the same sample of games Jeff Fisher is 20-20

There is more and more evidence that Fisher is grossly overrated

Playoff appearances since 1994 (Fisher's 1st year as HC)

Indianapolis Colts - 13

Green Bay Packers - 12

New England Patriots - 12

Philadelphia Eagles - 11

Pittsburgh Steelers - 11

Dallas Cowboys - 9

Minnesota Vikings - 9

Miami Dolphins - 8

Denver Broncos - 7

New York Giants - 7

San Fransisco 49ers - 7

San Diego Chargers - 7

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 7

Baltimore Ravens - 7

New York Jets - 7

Seattle Seahawks - 7

Atlanta Falcons - 6

Jacksonville Jaguars - 6

Kansas City Chiefs - 6

Tennessee Titans - 6

Chicago Bears - 5

St Louis Rams - 5

Buffalo Bills - 4

Carolina Panthers - 4

Detroit Lions - 4

New Orleans Saints - 4

Arizona Cardinals - 3

Oakland Raiders - 3

Washington Redskins - 3

Cincinnati Bengals - 2

Cleveland Browns - 2

Houston Texans - 0

Looks pretty average to me

Wins-Losses (Coaching Changes) Bold = Super Bowl Champs / Stats since 94

New England Patriots - 180-92 (3)

Pittsburgh Steelers - 172-99-1 (2)

Green Bay Packers - 170-102 (4)

Indianapolis Colts - 170-102 (5)

Denver Broncos - 157-115 (4)

Philadelphia Eagles - 154-118 (3)

Minnesota Vikings - 151-121 (5)

Dallas Cowboys - 146-126 (7)

New York Giants - 143-128-1 (3)

Tennessee Titans - 143-129 (1)

Miami Dolphins - 141-131 (7)

Kansas City Chiefs - 140-132 (5)

San Diego Chargers - 139-133 (6)

San Fransisco 49ers - 139-133 (6)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 137-135 (4)

Seattle Seahawks - 135-137 (5)

Atlanta Falcons - 133-138-1 (7)

Jacksonville Jaguars - 133-114 (2) / (No Team 94)

Chicago Bears - 130-142 (3)

New York Jets - 130-142 (7)

Baltimore Ravens - 129-111 (3) / (No Team 94-95)

New Orleans Saints - 126-146 (5)

Buffalo Bills - 124-148 (7)

Carolina Panthers - 119-137 (4) / (No Team 94)

Washington Redskins - 118-153-1 (7)

Oakland Raiders - 114-158 (10)

Arizona Cardinals - 105-167 (5)

Cincinnati Bengals - 104-167-1 (4)

St Louis Rams - 103-169 (8)

Detroit Lions - 94-178 (8)

Cleveland Browns - 80-144 (7) / (No Team 96-98)

Houston Texans - 55-89 (2) / (No Team 94-2001)

# of seasons that were above .500 since 1994 (Fisher's 1st season)

New England Patriots - 14

Green Bay Packers - 13

Indianapolis Colts - 13

Pittsburgh Steelers - 13

Miami Dolphins - 11

Philadelphia Eagles - 11

Dallas Cowboys - 10

Minnesota Vikings - 10

New York Jets - 10

Denver Broncos - 9

Kansas City Chiefs - 9

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 9

Baltimore Ravens - 8

New York Giants - 8

San Diego Chargers - 8

Atlanta Falcons - 7

Chicago Bears - 7

Jacksonville Jaguars - 7

San Fransisco 49ers - 7

Seattle Seahawks - 7

Tennessee Titans - 6

Buffalo Bills - 5

New Orleans Saints - 5

Carolina Panthers - 4

Oakland Raiders - 4

St Louis Rams - 4

Washington Redskins - 4

Arizona Cardinals - 3

Cleveland Browns - 3

Detroit Lions - 3

Cincinnati Bengals - 2

Houston Texans - 1

Averages under Fisher

Offensive scoring: 15th

Offensive yards: 17th

Defensive scoring: 16th

Defensive yards: 16th

Everything points to mediocrity

QB's under Fisher:

Vince Young 31-16 / 66%

Steve McNair 76-55 / 58%

Chris Chandler 11-14 / 44%

Kerry Collins 14-19 / 42%

Misc. QB's started 25 games 8-17 / 32%

Billy Volek 3-7 / 30%

Rusty Smith 0-1 / 0%

excellent post, SOF. Never understood the love for fisher. Jay Glazer said he expressed interest in Dallas and Dallas relayed to him " don't bother" :lol: Never liked him very much and as a coach not impressed in the least. With the running game they have had he should have won with almost anyone at QB.He hasn't.

I wonder how it would've played out if Vince didn't have a coach so obviously trying to back him into a corner

I guess Bud Adams, who is a huge fan of Vince Young, told us who he thinks is in the right. Fisher, who looks like he's on thin ice in Tennessee, is still the one the owner supported, not Vince Young, in whom the team has a 3rd overall pick and lots of time and money invested in. Telling decision.

If a guy like Mike Vick was truly changed and thankful for his 2nd opportunity, this off season would be a good chance for him to play big brother to Vince Young, the way Donovan McNabb and Tony Dungy did for Vick.

I think the Titans are making the right move here. Fisher has proven to be a good coach. What has Young proven? (basket case)

Young has proven that the Titans are a losing ball club when he doesn't play and a winning ball club when he does

I understand Vince's emotions very well because I have done this to a guy before

As I have said many times, I own a very large night club and I had a very good General Manager when I first opened it, but he did some things different than I would have done them and I constantly undermined his decisions and changed his schedules and would reverse some of his hirings and firings..then one day about a year later he lost it and blew up in front of the customers, staff and whatever else was present and in the end I drove him to that break down.....just like Jeff Fisher did to Vince

Young has proven that the Titans are a losing ball club when he doesn't play and a winning ball club when he does

I understand Vince's emotions very well because I have done this to a guy before

As I have said many times, I own a very large night club and I had a very good General Manager when I first opened it, but he did some things different than I would have done them and I constantly undermined his decisions and changed his schedules and would reverse some of his hirings and firings..then one day about a year later he lost it and blew up in front of the customers, staff and whatever else was present and in the end I drove him to that break down.....just like Jeff Fisher did to Vince

Yeah but they can draft a QB and still keep Fisher. Even if Luck does not come out, there will still be 4 first round QBs (although most will prob go VERY early). They could even take Cam Newton if they want to keep the Moon, McNair, Young scrambling style.

SOF - I see your point but either way the Titans are taking a step back next year. You can't fire Jeff Fisher your coach of 16 seasons, and not take a step back. You can get rid of the best QB on your roster (and not have a top 5 pick) with no viable replacement and expect to not be set back.

The titans have to choose either or, and since both decisions are going to set them back, dumping the QB that's definitely not the answer in favor of a coach that could be the answer is the right move, even if it does set them back.

SOF - I see your point but either way the Titans are taking a step back next year. You can't fire Jeff Fisher your coach of 16 seasons, and not take a step back. You can get rid of the best QB on your roster (and not have a top 5 pick) with no viable replacement and expect to not be set back.

The titans have to choose either or, and since both decisions are going to set them back, dumping the QB that's definitely not the answer in favor of a coach that could be the answer is the right move, even if it does set them back.

I don't know about that. They just have to replace a QB which they could by getting Kolb or McNabb (who could bounce back like favre did in his first year in minny). Or they could draft a QB. There are still 4 good ones coming out and QBs have had some recent success as rookies lately. That defense is already pretty young and has the tools in place to mature as those young players mature. Hopefully, Kenny Britt can stay healthy in which he could be even more dangerous with another year under his belt. They still have one of the top 5 running backs in the league.

I think they could definitely be better than their 6-10 record this year. Maybe nothing great, but I could easily see a 9-7 record.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I don't know about that. They just have to replace a QB which they could by getting Kolb or McNabb (who could bounce back like favre did in his first year in minny). Or they could draft a QB. There are still 4 good ones coming out and QBs have had some recent success as rookies lately. That defense is already pretty young and has the tools in place to mature as those young players mature. Hopefully, Kenny Britt can stay healthy in which he could be even more dangerous with another year under his belt. They still have one of the top 5 running backs in the league.

I think they could definitely be better than their 6-10 record this year. Maybe nothing great, but I could easily see a 9-7 record.

According to Jeff Fisher's history they have a 35% chance of having a winning record

• 2 weeks later...