UGA's recruiting Dream Team

sdogg

Would really help Richt if most these guys commit to UGA.

UGA's Dream Team

<H1 class=h2>Georgia still eyes 'Dream Team'</H1>

jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r4.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools('5985211','http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=5985211'); });Long_Corey_35.jpg By Corey Long

ESPN Recruiting

Archive

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The dream is still alive for the University of Georgia. And if the dream comes true, it could be a nightmare for the rest of the SEC.

The Peach State has a strong crop of players in the Class of 2011, including 18 in the ESPNU 150. The dream team, however, consists of eight undecided players, seven of whom are showing heavy interest in the Georgia Bulldogs.

Under Armour All-Americans Isaiah Crowell (Columbus, Ga./Carver), Jay Rome(Valdosta Ga./Valdosta), Malcolm Mitchell (Valdosta), Xzavier Dickson (Griffin, Ga./Griffin) and Quan Bray (LaGrange, Ga./Troup County) are joined by five-star defensive end Ray Drew (Thomasville, Ga./Thomas County) and four-star ATH Damian Swann (Atlanta/Grady) to make up the group.

[+] Enlargerecr_georgiatsin_300.jpg Davide De PasIf all these guys ended up at Georgia, Jay Rome (far left) says the Dawgs would win a national title.Rome is generally considered the leader of the group.

"Well, you know, I definitely like to keep in touch with my boys," Rome said. "We're all from Georgia and we're all doing our thing in the same class, so, you know, you want to play with your friends.

"But I don't think I'm the ringleader or anything."

Dickson disagreed.

"There no doubt that Jay Rome is the ringleader of the dream team," Dickson said. "He's always calling us trying to recruit us to Georgia."

Four of the five players in Wednesday's game are on the White team, with Crowell being the lone dream team member on the Red team.

"It's definitely making the rounds on the Internet and stuff," Crowell said. "It's a special group of players to be together in the Class of 2011. Even if we don't play together, we're all going to be going to big-time programs, and I think we're going to be very successful."

But what if the dream team all assembled in the same place at the same time?

"I think we'd win a national championship," Rome said. "You think about it for a second -- all that talent in the same place at the same time. There's no other possibility."

Bray took it one step further.

"It would be like 'The U' back in the '80s," Bray said. "All that talent, we know each other, and we refuse to lose. I mean, it would change the game in the SEC for sure."

Not everyone is down with joining the dream team. UA All-American linebacker James Vaughters (Tucker, Ga./Tucker) is currently committed to Stanford, and Crowell's high school teammate, Gabe Wright, does not have Georgia in his top four.

"I will not be part of the dream team," Wright said on Monday

Another All-American linebacker, A.J. Johnson (Gainesville, Ga.), has committed to SEC rival Tennessee.

"I'll always be a Georgia boy, and the guys in this class are great," Johnson said. "But everyone has to do what's best for them, and for me that's Tennessee."

Mitchell, who sat out Monday's practice, said that he believes it's possible that if one member of the group commits the rest could fall into place.

"It could be like dominoes," Mitchell said. "We'll see though. There's still a ways to go in the process, and you've always got players committed to Georgia like [Justin Scott-Wesley] trying to talk to you."

Crowell, who will be committing on signing day, could be the one that puts the dream team over the top. The top-rated running back in the nation has Alabama and Georgia virtually tied at this point.

"I might be that last domino," Crowell said.

I've been reading comments on this board and a few others and it's amazing to see what people can say about an entire program after two unproven teenagers announce they're going to other schools. smh

Well Richt set up the ridicule after having a poor season and announcing the "Dream Team" recruiting spree. SO if he doesnt get these kids that he wants to build this dream team with, then hes going to get ridiculed.

I've been reading comments on this board and a few others and it's amazing to see what people can say about an entire program after two unproven teenagers announce they're going to other schools. smh

I hear what you are saying and agree but you have to understand coming off two disappointing seasons(one losing) that fans aren't going to be excited when more bad news surfaces, especially pertaining to highly rated in-state kids going to other schools in conference.

Edited by iQue

I think its more of the disappointment, a week ago all these guys were uga locks! Now it seems like we are losing crowell and drew now? Just amazing the rumors that go on here, the idiotic thought that a 6-7 team is going to land all these guys? Its just more frustration, our program is declining, our staff is awful, and fans are going to gripe bark and complain over any little thing until there is change..

People were ruthlessly ridiculing Richt when we were having double digit win seasons, winning the division, winning the conference. The fact that UGA just had poor back to back seasons only makes it easier.

Picking on the semantics of calling this the Dream Team recruiting class is kinda ridiculous though. It's just a two word phrase to include several highly rated Georgia high school players. It's not some scheme to make people believe we didn't just have a bad season or something.

I really get frustrated with all the self loathing and fickleness in our fanbase. Maybe its a Georgia thing, cuz most Falcons fans are like that too. People get their hopes up on the decisions of 17 or 18 year old kids who don't make it their priority to let fans know what they're thinking... then people trash their own team because they allow themselves to be convinced these kids are judge and jury of football program quality.

I was laughing at people pointing out Dickson said he picked Bama cuz they have a great coaching staff. LOL that doesn't mean every other school in the country is worse or has a bad staff. When did Dickson become an NFL Hall of Famer with so much experience that qualifies his opinion of a great staff to be more relevant than anyone else? Please. Dickson is a great player and if he truly ends up signing with Bama, I wish the best to him... but he's not making or breaking this class for us.

People were ruthlessly ridiculing Richt when we were having double digit win seasons, winning the division, winning the conference. The fact that UGA just had poor back to back seasons only makes it easier.

Picking on the semantics of calling this the Dream Team recruiting class is kinda ridiculous though. It's just a two word phrase to include several highly rated Georgia high school players. It's not some scheme to make people believe we didn't just have a bad season or something.

I really get frustrated with all the self loathing and fickleness in our fanbase. Maybe its a Georgia thing, cuz most Falcons fans are like that too. People get their hopes up on the decisions of 17 or 18 year old kids who don't make it their priority to let fans know what they're thinking... then people trash their own team because they allow themselves to be convinced these kids are judge and jury of football program quality.

I was laughing at people pointing out Dickson said he picked Bama cuz they have a great coaching staff. LOL that doesn't mean every other school in the country is worse or has a bad staff. When did Dickson become an NFL Hall of Famer with so much experience that qualifies his opinion of a great staff to be more relevant than anyone else? Please. Dickson is a great player and if he truly ends up signing with Bama, I wish the best to him... but he's not making or breaking this class for us.

Really good post Carter

I'm of the attitude that if we get guys great, if we don't oh well. No kid is guaranteed to pan out anyways. And if you do get players in, you still have to coach them up. VT hardly ever gets these top classes but they compete year end and year out. My dream is to get Jenkins because imo that is the missing piece to the defense. The offense will be fine. They manage every year.

I laugh at the dream team, because I don't see it happening. It was a cool concept and good try. I'm not even sure who are the official members of the dream team, but we have to get at least 60% to say it panned out right? The reaction last night was overboard though. I couldn't even get through all the pages of comments.