Has This Ever Happened?

helmsman

Okay SO I have to go sit through an hour of Physics II so I did not have the time to check this myself so I thought I would post it here and find out the answer in a bit.

Question is: Have two teams in the same division ever won consecutive Super Bowls?

Like, Last year the Saints won it. So if we won it this year that makes two super bowls in two years both coming from the same division. Would that be a record of any kind?

It would put the NFC South on the map, that is for sure.

Also due to laziness...

How often do two teams in the same division play each other in the conference championship (Saints Vs. Falcons??)

I know, I know....let's look to the next game, but I'm just curious.

Most recently it was Pitt and Baltimore in 08. I'll get that data for ya.

Also due to laziness...

How often do two teams in the same division play each other in the conference championship (Saints Vs. Falcons??)

I know, I know....let's look to the next game, but I'm just curious.

OK, since there have been 8 divisions, it's only happened once - 2008 Steelers beat the Ravens.

Twice in the 90s, both times in the AFC - 99 Tenn over Jax, 92 Bills over Dolphins.

Happened a bunch of times in the 80s. Even happened in both conferences in 82 - Redskins over Coboys, Dolphins over Jets.

82 is as far back as I went, but it's not all that uncommon.