Ryan is Top 10 QB

helmsman

So I got to thinking. Out of all the top QB's in the NFL, where does our fledgling QB stack up. Well looking at the numbers he stacks right about #5, that is if you factor in the ratios if TD to INT.

Here is the evidence, Minus Tom Brady because he is clearly the best QB in the NFL, for now =)

Phillip Rivers 30TD 13INT 101.8 Rating

Carson Palmer 26 20 82.4

Rothel 17 5 97.0

MATT RYAN 28 9 91.0

Sanchez 17 13 75.3

YNW 21 6 100.2

Brees 33 22 90.9

Manning E. 31 25 85.3

Manning P. 33 17 91.9

Flacco 25 10 93.6

Rodgers 28 11 101.2

There you have it folks. Compare and contrast the numbers. Matt ryan is by NFL standards elite. By comparison to other elite and falsely anointed elite Quarterbacks Matt Ryan is top dollar. Flacco has had a good year too I must add.

So, by this year alone how do I rank these QB's? As follows: (Remember, Brady is not included)

1. YKW--- The reason for this is simple, his legs. While using your legs gets you stats in the RB column it must not be overlooked when the magnitude is as great as YKW. He missed five games and has great numbers all around. clearly he was the second best QB of the season behind Brady.

2. Rivers--- Over 4500 yards and not a lot of great targets make this QB my second choice for top QB. Despite the fact his team is not in the post-season, his numbers get him my number two spot.

3. Manning P--- You know, actually his numbers are not much different from Ryan's but when you factor in what INDY has gone through this season and realize the only fact the Colts are even in the post-season is because of the play of Peyton the third spot must go to him. Truly his teams MVP.

4. MATT RYAN--- Third-year started, started all 16 games, threw for 28 TD's and only 9 INTs. He won six games this season in the fourth quarter or overtime and led the Falcons to their second best season ever at 13-3. Need I say more?

5. Flacco--- This guy is legit. While the Ravens defense isn't quite as stout as it once was it is still a top 5 unit. Flacco is also a third year QB and his TD to INT ratio is very good. Add in the fact he has led his team to some tough and critical wins and this guy really stacks up as the number 5 QB of the season.

6. Rodgers---You could make a case for Rodgers being 4th or 5th but I place him as my 6th best QB of the season. His numbers are great but he has one of the top receiving cores in the NFL helping him out as well as a top 5 defense. From a purely impact standpoint, I have to give the nod to Ryan and Flacco. Remember the GB Pats game where Rodgers was out and the back up ALMOST won the game without him? This is why Rodgers is 6th. Take away Ryan or Flacco and see how well those two teams perform, especially against the likes of Brady.

7. Rothels--- He is a game manager with a cannon arm and big-play potential. His team his comfortably in the playoffs and the Steelers D aint nuthin to play whit. Despite my loathing for his off-field character, he is a valuable QB and team leader. He gets the seventh spot.

8. Brees--- A lof of INT's this year for Brees. Also some tough losses that he could have avoided with better ball control. The defending Superbowl champs are in the playoffs and Brees can light up the scoreboard at any time, the problem is sometimes its the opponents scores that are getting lit up, by all those INT returns.

9. Sanchez--- this guy is the worst by the numbers. The only reason he is not last on my list is because the Jets are in the playoffs and Sanchez is to thank for a few of those last-second wins. I do not see the JEts going far in the post-season. they will be lucky to beat the Colts and even if they do will go no farther.

10. Manning E.---Way to blow it kid. This guy has all the tangibles needed to be great, but he makes too many mistakes. Games are won and lost by this manning. Unfortunately his poor play down the stretch will cost his team big as they watch the playoffs from their sofas.

11. Palmer--- Last but not least. I would like Sanchez down here because as a performance posistion his performance is at the bottom of this list. However, the Bengals had two of the games best receivers and Palmer completed more balls to the other team then his own guys. His play is spotty and his decisions too often poor. If you ask me, Palmer needs a change of scenery. Miami anyone?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUC MAN! Wowzer, how did I miss him? Freeman has been stellar this year with fantastic numbers. I must have missed him because I was trying to focus on QB who get the most media love.

Freeman has to be between #5-8.

The only reason I can't give him the nod over Ryan or Flacco is because Ryan beat him twice this year and Flacco once. The Bucs really have something in young Josh freeman, he is going to be generating a lot of wins in the seasons to come.

My apologies for leaving him out.

Well if you are going by stats where would that put Josh Freeman?

Plus barely over 3,000 yards and 21 TD's is pretty " meh" for a QB rated # 9, much less # 1. For an "Elite" QB, that would be considered a sub-par year, esp. for an eigth season in the league.

Mike as had a decent year, but I don't get all the talk about him being one of the best. They killed Atlanta without him and lost to some crappy teams with him. Meh.

And elite gets tossed around a lot. By these standards, Tony Romo was elite last year.and for that matter every year he has played a full season. In only 10 games his forst year he almost equaled Vicks numbers this year. To me, there are only a couple of elite guys. By it's very nature, " Elite" cannot be more than one or two. You can't have 5 or 10 elite out of 32 starting QB's.

Vick is number one because like Peyton Manning he is responsible for his teams posistion. Also, his atheletic contributions cannot be understated. Micheal Vick has had a record breaking season EVEN AFTER missing 5 games. I am not a Vick homer, I truly think THIS season that he is in the second place for best QB. Tom Brady is number one without a doubt. Also, 21 TD to 6 INT. The ratio is a very good one. Vick is multi-talented and gives his team the chance to win anywhere, anytime, no matter what the score. Also, the game vs Washington... Impeccable. He was close to perfection that game.

As far as one of the best? No. Why? Injuries. The guy cannot stay healthy for 16 games plus post-season. HOWEVER, based on this season alone, I giave him #1 simply because he took the Eagles to the playoffs, he broke many records, he played some of the most spectacular games the NFL has ever televised, and he did it all after coming back from two years of inactivity after his incarceration. I really don't see anyone else on the list who could hold the number one spot likc Vick can, for this year.

I will make another thread for the post-season in a few weeks. A lot of changes will take place I am sure.

BUC MAN! Wowzer, how did I miss him? Freeman has been stellar this year with fantastic numbers. I must have missed him because I was trying to focus on QB who get the most media love.

Freeman has to be between #5-8.

The only reason I can't give him the nod over Ryan or Flacco is because Ryan beat him twice this year and Flacco once. The Bucs really have something in young Josh freeman, he is going to be generating a lot of wins in the seasons to come.

My apologies for leaving him out.

lol, its all good. :P

Freeman had a great sophmore year, but ill hold off the "elite" tag for a few more years.

but i do love me my young QB tho

Well if you are going by stats where would that put Josh Freeman?

Plus barely over 3,000 yards and 21 TD's is pretty " meh" for a QB rated # 9, much less # 1. For an "Elite" QB, that would be considered a sub-par year, esp. for an eigth season in the league.

Mike as had a decent year, but I don't get all the talk about him being one of the best. They killed Atlanta without him and lost to some crappy teams with him. Meh.

And elite gets tossed around a lot. By these standards, Tony Romo was elite last year.and for that matter every year he has played a full season. In only 10 games his forst year he almost equaled Vicks numbers this year. To me, there are only a couple of elite guys. By it's very nature, " Elite" cannot be more than one or two. You can't have 5 or 10 elite out of 32 starting QB's.

He missed close to 5 games so his numbers are gonna be a little lower than normal.

His fumbles were counted. He lost three. Add that to his INT. Now he is 30 TD with 9 INT/FUM loss.

The rest you cannot take away. Besides, who out of the list could be a better number one?

If the Chargers made the playoffs then Rivers would be a prime candidate but the Chargers did not. Who would be a better fit? Out of the list I am looking at, nobody.

Also, Vick has ran for 9 TD and 676 yards bringing his total numbers to 30 TD and 6 INT with almost 4000 yards attributed solely to his actions as a passer or runner.

You can count rushing TD's of course, but you can't say " 30 td's and only 6 int's" It's still 21 and 6. Hard to throw an int with a rushing attempt. Unless you want to also remember the 11 fumbles and bring it up to 17, whch no one wants to mention for some reason. ;)

His fumbles were counted. He lost three. Add that to his INT. Now he is 30 TD with 9 INT/FUM loss.

The rest you cannot take away. Besides, who out of the list could be a better number one?

If the Chargers made the playoffs then Rivers would be a prime candidate but the Chargers did not. Who would be a better fit? Out of the list I am looking at, nobody.

Why would it matter how many he lost? he still fumbled it.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think you're "elite" until you've tasted the champagne in February. Lot of names I'd put in the mix before Carson Palmer. Rodgers has a QB rating 10 points higher than Matt Ryan, despite losing Ryan Grant in week one and Jermichael Finlay a few weeks later, so to rank him behind Ryan and Flacco seems out of whack. If I were rating it would go some thing like this based on current, past and next seasons expectations:

Elite: Brady and Peyton

2nd Tier: Rivers, Brees and Rodgers

3rd Tier: Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco and Vick

4th Tier: Romo, Cassel, Schaub and Eli

5th Tier: Cutler, Freeman, Sanchez, Orton

He only lost three fumbles. I only count what was lost.

I mean, he is an enigma really guys.

You cant take away his contributions of rushing and TD and first downs generated by his legs, but you also have a hard time trying to get his turnovers correct once you add it in. I mean, if you added up the INT and Fumbles lost by E. Manning then you wonder how the guy is even a starting QB.

I based my opinions on numbers but also on impact, ability, team performance, and individual value. With a player like vick it is hard to appease everyone because there are so many stats that often conflict when you are breaking down the numbers of more traditional style QB's.

He missed close to 5 games so his numbers are gonna be a little lower than normal.

They are not " lower than normal tho. It's only his second season of 20 TD's passing and first over 3000 yards. As I said, it's not much better than Romo's first season in ten games he had 2,900 yards and 19 td's. So Mike Vicks best season is not much better than Romo's worst.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think you're "elite" until you've tasted the champagne in February. Lot of names I'd put in the mix before Carson Palmer. Rodgers has a QB rating 10 points higher than Matt Ryan, despite losing Ryan Grant in week one and Jermichael Finlay a few weeks later, so to rank him behind Ryan and Flacco seems out of whack. If I were rating it would go some thing like this based on current, past and next seasons expectations:

I have already mentioned before that these stats and list are only applied to this REGULAR SEASON. NOTHING ELSE. ONLY THIS SEASON.

He only lost three fumbles. I only count what was lost.

I mean, he is an enigma really guys.

You cant take away his contributions of rushing and TD and first downs generated by his legs, but you also have a hard time trying to get his turnovers correct once you add it in. I mean, if you added up the INT and Fumbles lost by E. Manning then you wonder how the guy is even a starting QB.

I based my opinions on numbers but also on impact, ability, team performance, and individual value. With a player like vick it is hard to appease everyone because there are so many stats that often conflict when you are breaking down the numbers of more traditional style QB's.

I could see it if he retrieved a fumble, maybe not count it. But if a team mate recovered it or it went out of bounds... he fumbled. But since his style of play directly leads to him fumbling a lot, they have to count.

They are not " lower than normal tho. It's only his second season of 20 TD's passing and first over 3000 yards. As I said, it's not much better than Romo's first season in ten games he had 2,900 yards and 19 td's. So Mike Vicks best season is not much better than Romo's worst.

I hope I am not giving off the vibe of being a Vick homer. The only man crush I have is on #2.

Micheal Vick is clearly the only number one candadite for this list. When you add up everything, including historical significance and team win-loss no one else on the list has had a better season, except perhaps Rivers. Rivers however, did not make the post-season. Because he is not play-off bound, he is number 2. The Eagles have a QB/RB who took over two years off and had a history of 50% completion averages and high turnovers and came back and moved up over 10% completion. He led the Eagles to one of the greatest comebacks of NFL history ALMOST by himself and the game against Washington was played to perfection. The bottom line is, vick is a winner. He does not make many mistakes that cost his team games. He does fumble, but he fumbles because he rushes so much. Like I said, the stats conflict with this guy.

It is hard to really compare MV with other QB's because you have to add in all the extras, both good and bad.

Yet, at the end of the day, after crunching the numbers and scenarios and performances, MV is still IMO the #1 QB of this list.

I do not see another clear QB who could take his spot and the majority of people nod their heads in approval. If you feel like a name has been missed or could in fact take #1 spot please post it with your reasons why.

So by this logic, Marino isn't elite? Ok...whatever you say.

I agree theres only two elite, but what has Ryan or Flacco done to be above Romo? Or what has Rodgers done?

If I made your list, I would put pretty much all of those guys in the same tier and Vick, over a career would be on the 5th or 6th. For this year alone, Freeman would be a;ongside Rodgers, Romo Ryam etc. but one year doesn't really prove anything.

Well if you extrapolate his numbers over 16 games he would've had more than 4000 yards passing and better numbers than Matt Ryan this year.

And by normal I mean his normal stats he would've had if he played in all full 16 games as a starter.

Andy Reid and Mornhinweg changed Vick into what we always thought he was capable of. Unfortunately we were stuck with Greg Knapp.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon

I could see it if he retrieved a fumble, maybe not count it. But if a team mate recovered it or it went out of bounds... he fumbled. But since his style of play directly leads to him fumbling a lot, they have to count.

Again, this is the grey-area. Your right in what you say, but does that make it the right way to count it?

I mean, if Brees throws 3 INTs and all three hit his receivers in the hands then got deflected and picked whos fault is it? there isn't another column beside INT's that list partial or no-fault. Just like there is no stat besides WR that shows how many dropped passes led to turnovers.

I counted the three lost because that is clear. The other argument leads into way too much grey area.