Replacement Offensive coordinator Tom Clements

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Tom Clements at a glance...

• Joined Packers Jan. 29, 2006.

• Possesses 18 years of coaching experience, including two seasons as an NFL offensive coordinator.

• Prior to Green Bay, spent 10 seasons coaching quarterbacks under some of the game’s most successful coaches, including Bill Cowher, Mike Ditka and Lou Holtz.

• Played 12 years in the Canadian Football League at quarterback and was a seven-time divisional all-star and two-time Grey Cup champion; was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame

in 1994.

• An All-American at Notre Dame in 1974, he finished fourth in Heisman Trophy balloting that year.

• Practiced law for five years before beginning coaching career.

Tom Clements, entering his 18th season in the coaching profession, is in his fifth year as Green Bay’s quarterbacks coach.

Now in his 14th overall NFL season, Clements was named to his position Jan. 29, 2006, by Head Coach Mike McCarthy. Familiar with the role, Clements also served as quarterbacks coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers (2001-03), Kansas City Chiefs (2000) and New Orleans Saints (1997-99).

In Green Bay, Clements’ extensive tutelage of Aaron Rodgers has paid dividends, as Rodgers has become the first QB in league history to throw for at least 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter.

Rodgers’ 4,434 passing yards in 2009 fell just 25 yards short of topping Lynn Dickey’s 1983 franchise record and ranked fourth in the league. He also ranked fourth in the NFL in TD passes (30) and passer rating (103.2), and first in interception percentage (1.29) in earning his first Pro Bowl bid. The passer rating also sits second in franchise history to Bart Starr’s 105.0 mark in 1966.

Meanwhile, Rodgers’ first 4,000-yard season in 2008 gave the Packers 4,000-yard passers in consecutive seasons for just the second time in team history, and for the first time in league history those back-to-back 4,000-yard passers were different QBs.

The previous two seasons, in addition to tutoring Rodgers as the backup and heir apparent, Clements oversaw a mini-renaissance of Brett Favre’s career. In 2006, Favre reduced his interceptions from a career-high 29 the year before to just 18, setting the stage for a near-MVP season in 2007, when Favre surpassed 4,000 yards passing for the fifth time. He also posted a career-best completion percentage of 66.5 and a QB rating of 95.7 that was his third best in leading the Packers back to the playoffs.

Before coming to Green Bay, Clements spent two seasons (2004-05) as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills. In 2004, the Bills’ offense increased its scoring output by 152 and reduced its number of sacks allowed from 51 to 38, fewest by a Bills team since 1999. The unit was highlighted by RB Willis McGahee, who became the fifth running back in Bills history to register back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, covering each year of Clements’ tenure. In addition, QB Kelly Holcomb set a club record in 2005 with a 67.39 completion percentage, surpassing Jim Kelly’s 1991 mark, 64.14 percent.

Prior to joining the Bills, Clements served as Pittsburgh’s quarterbacks coach for three seasons (2001-03) under Bill Cowher. In 2002, his second season with the Steelers, he helped Tommy Maddox earn The Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year award, as Pittsburgh’s passing offense ranked seventh in the NFL, its highest finish since 1980 with Terry Bradshaw under center.

Clements also worked with Pittsburgh’s Kordell Stewart (2001) and Kansas City’s Elvis Grbac (2000) during each quarterback’s best season, both culminating in Pro Bowl berths. Mike Ditka gave Clements his first NFL coaching job, hiring him to coach the Saints’ quarterbacks (1997-99), which included Jake Delhomme and Kerry Collins.

Prior to his post with the Saints, Clements served under Lou Holtz as quarterbacks coach (1992-94) and wide receivers/assistant head coach (1995) at his alma mater, Notre Dame. While with the Fighting Irish, Clements coached eventual 1993 NFL Rookie of the Year QB Rick Mirer, and WR Derrick Mayes, the Packers’ second-round draft pick in 1996. In addition, he tutored QB Ron Powlus, Notre Dame’s career passing leader in attempts, completions, yardage and touchdowns at the time of his graduation.

Inducted into the Canadian Football League’s Hall of Fame in 1994, Clements played quarterback for Ottawa (1975-78), Saskatchewan/Hamilton (1979), Hamilton (1981-82) and Winnipeg (1983-87) during a 12-year career in the CFL. Selected seven times as a divisional All-Star, Clements guided two teams, Ottawa (1976) and Winnipeg (1984), to Grey Cup Championships, earning the Outstanding Offensive Player award in each game. The league’s Rookie of the Year in 1975 and Most Valuable Player in 1987, Clements completed 2,807 of 4,657 passes (60.3 percent) for 39,041 yards and 252 touchdowns during his CFL career.

Clements also spent one season, 1980, as a quarterback for Marv Levy’s Kansas City Chiefs.

A three-year starter at Notre Dame (1972-74) under Ara Parseghian, Clements led the Irish to a 29-5 record, including an unblemished national championship season in 1973. An All-American in 1974, he finished fourth in Heisman Trophy balloting when Archie Griffin earned the award. Clements received his degree in economics from Notre Dame in 1975.

A licensed attorney, Clements worked from 1988-92 for Bell, Boyd & Lloyd, a Chicago-based law firm. He pursued his law degree during his CFL playing career, graduating magna *** laude from Notre Dame’s School of Law in 1986. In 1994, while on the Notre Dame coaching staff, Clements was an Adjunct Associate Professor of Law at the university’s law school, where he taught “Sports and the Law.”

Born in McKees Rocks, Pa., Clements and his wife, Kathe, live in Green Bay. The couple has two grown children: daughter, Stevie, and son, Tom.

I have did some research and want to know what you guys think if we hire a new offensive coordinator. If we lose M.M. and do not give Musgrave a chance or decide he is best were he is, this guy has the resume to be a great replacement I feel he could take the Falcons to new levels. He is currently the quarterback coach of the Green Bay Packers. I really feel good about him, according to his resume and his success. So if you guys see any plus or flaws in him I really want to know what you think. I looked at guys that were not currently offensive coordinators who would be considered a promotion so I know we could interview them. This guy at of all my research intrigued me the most. So like I said if he is bad news or anyone has anything they can contribute to this idea of him as our offensive coordinator, I want to know.

Edited by atl.falcon4ever

Tom Clements at a glance...

• Joined Packers Jan. 29, 2006.

• Possesses 18 years of coaching experience, including two seasons as an NFL offensive coordinator.

• Prior to Green Bay, spent 10 seasons coaching quarterbacks under some of the game’s most successful coaches, including Bill Cowher, Mike Ditka and Lou Holtz.

• Played 12 years in the Canadian Football League at quarterback and was a seven-time divisional all-star and two-time Grey Cup champion; was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame

in 1994.

• An All-American at Notre Dame in 1974, he finished fourth in Heisman Trophy balloting that year.

• Practiced law for five years before beginning coaching career.

Tom Clements, entering his 18th season in the coaching profession, is in his fifth year as Green Bay’s quarterbacks coach.

Now in his 14th overall NFL season, Clements was named to his position Jan. 29, 2006, by Head Coach Mike McCarthy. Familiar with the role, Clements also served as quarterbacks coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers (2001-03), Kansas City Chiefs (2000) and New Orleans Saints (1997-99).

In Green Bay, Clements’ extensive tutelage of Aaron Rodgers has paid dividends, as Rodgers has become the first QB in league history to throw for at least 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter.

Rodgers’ 4,434 passing yards in 2009 fell just 25 yards short of topping Lynn Dickey’s 1983 franchise record and ranked fourth in the league. He also ranked fourth in the NFL in TD passes (30) and passer rating (103.2), and first in interception percentage (1.29) in earning his first Pro Bowl bid. The passer rating also sits second in franchise history to Bart Starr’s 105.0 mark in 1966.

Meanwhile, Rodgers’ first 4,000-yard season in 2008 gave the Packers 4,000-yard passers in consecutive seasons for just the second time in team history, and for the first time in league history those back-to-back 4,000-yard passers were different QBs.

The previous two seasons, in addition to tutoring Rodgers as the backup and heir apparent, Clements oversaw a mini-renaissance of Brett Favre’s career. In 2006, Favre reduced his interceptions from a career-high 29 the year before to just 18, setting the stage for a near-MVP season in 2007, when Favre surpassed 4,000 yards passing for the fifth time. He also posted a career-best completion percentage of 66.5 and a QB rating of 95.7 that was his third best in leading the Packers back to the playoffs.

Before coming to Green Bay, Clements spent two seasons (2004-05) as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills. In 2004, the Bills’ offense increased its scoring output by 152 and reduced its number of sacks allowed from 51 to 38, fewest by a Bills team since 1999. The unit was highlighted by RB Willis McGahee, who became the fifth running back in Bills history to register back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, covering each year of Clements’ tenure. In addition, QB Kelly Holcomb set a club record in 2005 with a 67.39 completion percentage, surpassing Jim Kelly’s 1991 mark, 64.14 percent.

Prior to joining the Bills, Clements served as Pittsburgh’s quarterbacks coach for three seasons (2001-03) under Bill Cowher. In 2002, his second season with the Steelers, he helped Tommy Maddox earn The Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year award, as Pittsburgh’s passing offense ranked seventh in the NFL, its highest finish since 1980 with Terry Bradshaw under center.

Clements also worked with Pittsburgh’s Kordell Stewart (2001) and Kansas City’s Elvis Grbac (2000) during each quarterback’s best season, both culminating in Pro Bowl berths. Mike Ditka gave Clements his first NFL coaching job, hiring him to coach the Saints’ quarterbacks (1997-99), which included Jake Delhomme and Kerry Collins.

Prior to his post with the Saints, Clements served under Lou Holtz as quarterbacks coach (1992-94) and wide receivers/assistant head coach (1995) at his alma mater, Notre Dame. While with the Fighting Irish, Clements coached eventual 1993 NFL Rookie of the Year QB Rick Mirer, and WR Derrick Mayes, the Packers’ second-round draft pick in 1996. In addition, he tutored QB Ron Powlus, Notre Dame’s career passing leader in attempts, completions, yardage and touchdowns at the time of his graduation.

Inducted into the Canadian Football League’s Hall of Fame in 1994, Clements played quarterback for Ottawa (1975-78), Saskatchewan/Hamilton (1979), Hamilton (1981-82) and Winnipeg (1983-87) during a 12-year career in the CFL. Selected seven times as a divisional All-Star, Clements guided two teams, Ottawa (1976) and Winnipeg (1984), to Grey Cup Championships, earning the Outstanding Offensive Player award in each game. The league’s Rookie of the Year in 1975 and Most Valuable Player in 1987, Clements completed 2,807 of 4,657 passes (60.3 percent) for 39,041 yards and 252 touchdowns during his CFL career.

Clements also spent one season, 1980, as a quarterback for Marv Levy’s Kansas City Chiefs.

A three-year starter at Notre Dame (1972-74) under Ara Parseghian, Clements led the Irish to a 29-5 record, including an unblemished national championship season in 1973. An All-American in 1974, he finished fourth in Heisman Trophy balloting when Archie Griffin earned the award. Clements received his degree in economics from Notre Dame in 1975.

A licensed attorney, Clements worked from 1988-92 for Bell, Boyd & Lloyd, a Chicago-based law firm. He pursued his law degree during his CFL playing career, graduating magna *** laude from Notre Dame’s School of Law in 1986. In 1994, while on the Notre Dame coaching staff, Clements was an Adjunct Associate Professor of Law at the university’s law school, where he taught “Sports and the Law.”

Born in McKees Rocks, Pa., Clements and his wife, Kathe, live in Green Bay. The couple has two grown children: daughter, Stevie, and son, Tom.

I have did some research and want to know what you guys think if we hire a new offensive coordinator. If we lose him and do not give Musgrave a chance or decide he is best were he is, this guy has the resume to be a great replacement I feel to take the Falcons to new levels. He is currently the quarterback coach of the Green Bay Packers. I really feel good about him, according to his resume and his success. So if you guys see any plus or flaws in him I really want to know what you think. I looked at guys that were not currently offensive coordinators who would be considered a promotion so I know we could interview them. This guy at of all my research intrigued me the most. So like I said if he is bad news or anyone has anything they can contribute to this ides I want to know.

Certainly sounds like someone they might talk to.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

what teams was he the OC for? Good resume, but Id like someone with extensive experience calling plays in the NFL. Since Atlanta is a team built to win the next 5 plus seasons, an offensive coordinator won't have time to learn on the job.

Ok I went to Wikipedia and found this; here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clements

He is mostly been a QB coach but was offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills 2004-2005

I see your point, but just seems like he has the background to make the next step as off. cord. But I don't know much about him except he seems to be one he11 of a QB coach. Maybe he can make the next step. Or maybe there is a reason why teams have not gave him two many chances at the OC job. Yeah I just thought he looked good on paper and wanted some feed back. Figured I'd get more replies, but its kinda a long read. Just seemed like maybe he could be what we need to become more explosive and take Ryan to the next level. I am no expert nor claim to be. Just a diehard fan.

Ok this is too weird. I just googled 2004 and 2005 Buffalo Bills and Mike Mularkey was the head coach. That is just crazy, football is a small world in the NFL I guess. But with that factor added in does that make him more of a candidate or less. I was just bored and looking at teams with explosive offenses and found this guy and was like wow. Maybe he could make us better on the offensive side of ball.

Like I said sorry for the long post. I just am shocked so little feed back. Come on guys give me some feedback and share your knowledge. I really feel like he could be our guy.

I see he's coached with MM at least twice. In Pitt as the QB coach under MM, and in Buffalo as MMs OC.

Might be a good thing in a way as you would think he'd have at least a passing fair knowledge of MM's playbook and terminology so our existing players and him would have a common frame of reference.

Unfortunately that 05 season in Buffalo was not pretty and he was relieved of his play calling duties before the season was over.

Edited by Geneaut

Resume's aren't everything BUT this guy improved his players nearly everywhere he went which is a HUGE plus. I say atleast bring him in for an interview if indeed MM leaves. Give Musgrave his chance though. I'll get negged I know but Ryan and Co. have room to improve.

On another note................Go Falcons!!!!!!!!!!

If MM is gone, we will go with Billick or even Musgrave.

Billick would make the most logical choice for obvious reasons. Like Malarkey he has prior HC exp. He loves Matt Ryan, has Family and Professional ties to Smith, and he puts an emphasis on the running game. He is a perfect choice.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I don't know. Like I said was real bored and looking and thinking about who we would get if M.M. left. When I found this guy and the more research I do. I just feel like he is offensive coordinator material.

For us to interview a coach, doesn't it have to be a promotion. Not sure the rules. But if not at the least if we gave Musgrave the OC job and could get this guy as our QB coach to replace Musgraves old position or whatever I just feel this is a guy we need to take a long hard look at. Maybe I am on to something, maybe not. But if he got the job I would be excited to see what he could do. So if we want someone for the same position they hold, can we interview them or what or the rules?

I mean he has experience with our current OC. And our current OC thought enough of him to make him an OC when he was coach. Plus he has experience with other great coaches and great results. Maybe we need someone like this to take Ryan to that elite status. He did not have success in Buffalo, but who has had success in Buffalo. So I know its a factor, as far as how his OC status and how it went in Buffalo, but I think this guy might could do wonders. He can develop talent, and we like to build through the draft. He could groom us a great backup for if Matt Ryan went out like he has developed so many other quarterbacks.

Maybe he is gone anyway, if M.M. get the job in Denver anyway. Who knows. I mean M.M. might want to give it a go with him as his O.C. again also.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

It's going to be Musgrave, it always was going to be. It's why we promoted him to Assistant HC to keep him from going to Houston as their OC.

Ok either way if it is Bill Musgrave as our O.C. Like I said what about Tom Clements as our QB coach. Can we get him from Green Bay at same position? What are the rules in interviewing him, and all that.

I mean we can debate all day Nate Clements as a O.C.

But as a QB coach, no denying he could give us an upgrade or at least a great replacement at the QB coach position.

So basically I am saying, unless we promote Nate Clements to a higher position, we can't touch him right? Or can we?

Ok either way if it is Bill Musgrave as our O.C. Like I said what about Tom Clements as our QB coach. Can we get him from Green Bay at same position? What are the rules in interviewing him, and all that.

But as a QB coach, no denying he could give us an upgrade or at least a great replacement at the QB coach position.

So basically I am saying, unless we promote Nate Clements to a higher position, we can't touch him right? Or can we?

Depends on his contract, but 99% of the time you can't move laterally. Maybe if they gave him an Assitant HC title.

IDK. I don't think I would trust Nate Clements in coaching up our offense. He might still be upset over Roddy from this past season.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Depends on his contract, but 99% of the time you can't move laterally. Maybe if they gave him an Assitant HC title.

Yeah, that makes sense. thanks, just was totally lost on what the rules are with that. But I mean if we got Tom Clements even as our QB coach/Assistant Head Coach position at the least. Is this a guy you say we should take are do you feel there are better candidates for the QB coach as well? He just has me sold for some reason and I want someone to unconvince me. I just really feel he can bring something extra to the table. Maybe his ideas and our ideas on how we run offense are quarter back position might just shake thing up and open up a whole new dimension to the offense. His resume pretty much says if you put me around a quarter back I can guarantee you I will make him not just better but good. I think he could maybe turn Ryan into what Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or considered right now. Just have that gut feeling and it just feels to right. So I just want someone to show me what I am not seeing that would make him a perfect fit as our offense coordinator or at least if we could get him as quarter backs coach with the title of assistant head coach. I mean if you check his resume on info. and Wikipedia I just do not see how you differ from my opinion. But I love debate though and actually like it if you can prove my point wrong thats all. I feel if you can prove me wrong or vice versa it makes me understand the game a little more. Just a hardcore Falcons fan always looking at the future to how we can get better.