Another possibility for McDaniels

atljbo

Another possibility for McDaniels

UPDATE: As the head coach carousel continues to spin, more jobs will open up for Josh McDaniels.

One potential opening is with the Atlanta Falcons, whose current offensive coordinator, Mike Mularkey, will be interviewing for head-coaching jobs in Denver and Cleveland this week. Is McDaniels a fit to take over? It's a "maybe" in the opinion of the NFL Network's Steve Wyche. Wyche adds that Falcons assistant HC/QB coach Bill Musgrave could possibly take over as OC in Atlanta.

---

Though the Kansas City connection appears to be an unlikely one for McDaniels, Albert Breer of the NFL Network tweeted that the Miami Dolphins' possibly vacant offensive coordinator job could be a fit, pending the retention of head coach Tony Sparano. Current OC Dan Henning is believed to be on the road to retirement, or at least on his last legs in Miami.

If Sparano is out, the team's next head coach will likely have his own offensive staff in mind, which complicates things, though it doesn't rule out McDaniels entirely. With a new QB likely in the mix for 2011, the man who's worked wonders with previously unheralded pass-throwers may be a match.

---

Charlie Weis didn't last long as offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, as multiple reports have indicated that he'll be coordinating the Florida Gators' offense next season. With Weis out, the role must be filled.

One possibility is for head coach Todd Haley, a former offensive coordinator himself, to take on some of the duties. Haley took on playcalling duties following the preseason firing of Chan Gailey in 2009.

If the Chiefs elect to search for someone else, however, one man who has been speculated as a replacement is former Denver Broncos head coach McDaniels. The logic for this speculation is that McDaniels has a relationship with Chiefs GM Scott Pioli and QB Matt Cassel.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter doesn't see it, though, tweeting that McDaniels' chances of landing the OC job in KC as "low. Not expecting it."

Perhaps this episode may have something to do with it.

No, I'd rather not have him here in any capacity, he pretty much destroyed Denvers franchise by pissing off everyone he came into contact with. I do not want him handling our offense no matter how well he did in New England.

i still dont understand whats so special about musgrave. What has he done to make anyone think we will not run the same, or something similar to the offense that we run now??Sure he developed matty, but thats as a QB coach. not a playcaller.

Because his preferred offense of choice, the one he has run throughout his entire career (when he has been an OC) is the WCO.

and why do we want a WCO?????Thats like putting matty ice in a smaller box then he's in now, and not playing to his and this offenses ability.

Actually, that plays right into the offenses strengths. Are you of the mindset that the WCO is just a dink and dunk offense?

i still dont understand whats so special about musgrave. What has he done to make anyone think we will not run the same, or something similar to the offense that we run now??Sure he developed matty, but thats as a QB coach. not a playcaller.

Its because he knows this offense... Great teams normally stay in that same offense... They just tweek it here and there.

No, I'd rather not have him here in any capacity, he pretty much destroyed Denvers franchise by pissing off everyone he came into contact with. I do not want him handling our offense no matter how well he did in New England.

I think it was more about giving a young coach all that power... He wasnt ready for that... He wanted to come in and gain the Hoody type respect since he was the HC... I just dont think he was ready for that.

As a OC... The guy knows how to run a Offense... Brady loved the guy.

yup, pretty much what i remember from greg knapp when he was here. People said the WCO wouldnt work because it didnt play to vick's ability.

Ryan's skillset is completely different from that of Vick's. It's basically the same type of offense that the Patriots run. It's more of a philosophy where they use short-intermediate passing to set up longer passes/runs. It requires an extremely accurate QB (Ryan) with the smarts to get it to the best available receiver.

First off, I doubt MM gets the job in Denver, I think it will be a Elway/Harbaugh/Luck trio for the Broncos (Carolina trades back). Not sure we have the personnel for McDaniels. He tends to forget about the running game, which would be a mistake with Turner and Snelling in the backfield. That being said, if he evolves his offense for our players, and leaves his ego at the door, I'd love to have him on board.

I don't have a clue as to what, if anything, may transpire from this, but I do know this: I don't want Musgrave being moved to OC. His tenure as an OC with the Panthers and elswhere has always been, to put it politely, shaky at best. I also don't want McDaniels. Now let me preface the following with IF and there are a lot of "if's" in this whole thread btw. IF the Raiders let go of Tom The Cable Guy and IF they do not offer Hue Jackson the HC job, and IF we have an opening at the O.C. position, I'd like to see if we could lure him back to the Falcons.

and why do we want a WCO?????Thats like putting matty ice in a smaller box then he's in now, and not playing to his and this offenses ability.

Matt is a WCO QB. Ran that offense at BC and is tailor made for it here. Everyone whines about his deep ball. The go route in a WCO is a 35 yard pass at most, and if you hit it with a receiver like Roddy White it's a TD every time.

I'm good with a WCO here. And my guess is Musgrave has seen enough with Knapp, Hue Jackson and Mularkey to know what works and what doesn't. It won't be vanilla, I'd put money on that.

I read somewhere that it was a possibilty that if MM got the Denver job that Musgrave could potentially go with him to Denver to be the OC.

I don't know about that. Musgrave has more ties to the Falcons than he does to Mularkey. He's been here since 2006 and is beloved by Mike Smith.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I don't have a clue as to what, if anything, may transpire from this, but I do know this: I don't want Musgrave being moved to OC. His tenure as an OC with the Panthers and elswhere has always been, to put it politely, shaky at best. I also don't want McDaniels. Now let me preface the following with IF and there are a lot of "if's" in this whole thread btw. IF the Raiders let go of Tom The Cable Guy and IF they do not offer Hue Jackson the HC job, and IF we have an opening at the O.C. position, I'd like to see if we could lure him back to the Falcons.

Did not think of him. I remember good ol Hue Jackson. Now thats an idea. I thought we might even retain him when Petrino left but we didn't. Can anyone tell me though what is his typical style offense he runs. Like is he pass happy, or a run first guy. Just can somebody I guess give me the 411 on him?

Did not think of him. I remember good ol Hue Jackson. Now thats an idea. I thought we might even retain him when Petrino left but we didn't. Can anyone tell me though what is his typical style offense he runs. Like is he pass happy, or a run first guy. Just can somebody I guess give me the 411 on him?

He was really bound to Petrino's system in Atlanta -- more of a figurehead than a real OC. From my limited observation watching him in Cincy, he runs a balanced attack. Very similar to Mularkey, probably more conservative when it comes to gadgetry, but more creative (IMHO) when it comes to misdirection, showing one look and doing something else, shifting out of different formations, etc. Reminds me of kind of a hybrid between Dan Reeves (with the power run and play action bombs) and Gruden (with the misdirection and creativity). I like Hue Jackson a lot.

I still think Musgrave is the guy, though. Not sure Hue Jackson's offense would play to Ryan's strengths.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

All I know is it will be interesting to say the least on how our team and coaching staff will look. I just hope no matter if I hate the moves or love them they work out. Because it just feels like we are about to go through another part of the, "process", as Dimitroff says. So he and Coach Mike Smith or hear to stay for a while it appears. I just hope next year is two steps forward and not two steps backward. Ex., Just like Favre not having chemistry with his receivers they were saying early in the season, we have to maintain some type of stability, chemistry and identify ourself as a particular type of team. Then once you know what works for you, and you just tweak it from there. So who ever our new players, coaches or I hope they are in here to tweak what we have going on rather than totally change it. Because what we have is working and you can not argue with results, they never lie.

Edited by atl.falcon4ever