Looking forward to 2011....

Gritzblitz 2.0

9 games IMO means he loses his job. I need AT LEAST 10 wins from Richt with a spot in the SEC title game! I believe anything less than that and Richt is gone. I'd love to see him stay though so don't get me wrong. Mark Richt has been a great coach at UGA and I'm a fan of his, but my first loyalty goes to the team! Sometimes you have to know when to fold 'em and it'll be that time next yr if what I stated doesn't happen! Though I'd like to state that Grantham should stay either way!

I think it depends on the excitement in the program. I think for fans to get excited again, we need at least 10 wins and to seriously compete for the East title. In addition, I think our team needs to look good, something we haven't done in awhile. We need to come out and smash teams in the mouth, play physical, and look prepared. I hope Richt can get us back to this type of football.

I think around 10 wins. But I also think you can not have the type of offseason they had this past year. All the arrests damage a program as much as losses.

Arrests are only a problem when the team is losing. No one in Gainesville gave a squat about all of Urban Meyer's arrests because he was winning.

Arrests are only a problem when the team is losing. No one in Gainesville gave a squat about all of Urban Meyer's arrests because he was winning.

I agree with that. Which is why the arrests are all the worse for UGA. Wouldn't you love to recruit against UGA in Georgia right now? "Hey, not only is your son not going to be winning. But he's likely to get into legal trouble". A badly coached team behaving badly off the field is.... well, it's bad.

I agree with that. Which is why the arrests are all the worse for UGA. Wouldn't you love to recruit against UGA in Georgia right now? "Hey, not only is your son not going to be winning. But he's likely to get into legal trouble". A badly coached team behaving badly off the field is.... well, it's bad.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It's not a coach's job to raise someone else's kids and watch them 24/7. All he can do is hold them accountable and let them know there are consequences for screwing up.

Right now, the #1 thing being used against UGA in recruiting is their record of underachievment over the past 3 seasons and the fact that their coach may not be here after next season. It is what it is.

That is a tough question. I'm not sure wins is the only criteria in total #. Who the wins and losses are to will matter a lot. Win the East with 9 wins and I think he stays. That would include a Florida win. Like someone stated, the way we play and feel of the program will matter as well. Hard number would be 8 imo. Below he's gone, above he stays. 8 would depend on other factors, but most likely gone.

At this point, I'm not sure Rich finishes the season. Could easily start out 0-2. Where would the team go from there? The fans would be upset at that point. By the Florida game, it could be make or break and Mr. Christian might meet Mr. Cocktail real quick.

Sliding scale type thing...

I think he needs 9-10 wins but if he gets 8 wins, but beats UF & Tech...probably stays.

I honestly have no reason to believe that we'll win more than 7 though and if that happens I think he's gone.

I will say it's crazy how things work out though. I think b/c McGarity is new to the gig there was no way he was gonna pull the trigger on a decision this big. However, if Damon Evans doesn't get in trouble I think that Evans might have fired him.

That is a tough question. I'm not sure wins is the only criteria in total #. Who the wins and losses are to will matter a lot. Win the East with 9 wins and I think he stays. That would include a Florida win. Like someone stated, the way we play and feel of the program will matter as well. Hard number would be 8 imo. Below he's gone, above he stays. 8 would depend on other factors, but most likely gone.

At this point, I'm not sure Rich finishes the season. Could easily start out 0-2. Where would the team go from there? The fans would be upset at that point. By the Florida game, it could be make or break and Mr. Christian might meet Mr. Cocktail real quick.

Well said and very good points.

I think he needs 9-10 wins but if he gets 8 wins, but beats UF & Tech...probably stays.

I honestly have no reason to believe that we'll win more than 7 though and if that happens I think he's gone.

I will say it's crazy how things work out though. I think b/c McGarity is new to the gig there was no way he was gonna pull the trigger on a decision this big. However, if Damon Evans doesn't get in trouble I think that Evans might have fired him.

Agreed

That's pretty much what I thought too. With McG being new and Richt so beloved, McG lacked the leverage to make a move even if he wanted to. That's just how things work, be it sports, business or politics.

there was no way damon was firing cmr even after this year either. mcgarity has more power and would have made the move this year if he felt that was the right call. mcgarity and cmr have worked on a plan this entire fall to resolve some of the issues that he could not get resolved with damon as our AD.

That's pretty much what I thought too. With McG being new and Richt so beloved, McG lacked the leverage to make a move even if he wanted to. That's just how things work, be it sports, business or politics.

billy that isn't how this would have worked in athens.. neither damon or mcgarity were going to fire cmr and if anyone was it would have been mcgarity. mcgarity has no allegiences to cmr and he could have fired cmr and put his guy in here and he has enough power to do that and he has more power than damon has and it has shown already with stuff like the s&c changes we have set up.

McG coming in and firing Richt would have gone over about as well as Jerry buying the Cowboys and firing Landry.

As I said mcgarity has more power than damon did and he would have fired cmr if he felt that was the right move.. damon would not have fired cmr. i don't think people understand how little power he had. even with mcgarity having more power the reality is the AD is a figure head in these decisions anyway, it's the big money boosters who fire a guy or not. if they wanted cmr out he would be fired regardless of who was AD.

I would bet that McGarity would make a move much before Evans (if he had to). McGarity is used to excellence and high standards, and would move quickly if he felt they were not being met. If you recall, he has already fired another coach (volleyball?) this year. He made the right decision in keeping CMR. As for Evans, isn't he the same guy that kept Felton on for YEARS?

As I said mcgarity has more power than damon did and he would have fired cmr if he felt that was the right move.. damon would not have fired cmr. i don't think people understand how little power he had. even with mcgarity having more power the reality is the AD is a figure head in these decisions anyway, it's the big money boosters who fire a guy or not. if they wanted cmr out he would be fired regardless of who was AD.

You know I agree with pretty much everything you have said about McG, but the proposition of firing Richt in your first quarter on the job is politically speaking a very delicate matter.

I made some comments in late Sept/early Oct that it'll be interesting to see how donations look in '11. All this being said, I haven't called for Richt's head since that time. Honestly the whole matter for me has gone from anger to disbelief to disappointment to just being tired of it.

You know I agree with pretty much everything you have said about McG, but the proposition of firing Richt in your first quarter on the job is politically speaking a very delicate matter.

I made some comments in late Sept/early Oct that it'll be interesting to see how donations look in '11. All this being said, I haven't called for Richt's head since that time. Honestly the whole matter for me has gone from anger to disbelief to disappointment to just being tired of it.

Same here.

I'd say 8 wins is the number he's got to reach in '11 with a marked improvement team discipline. Anything lower than that and he'll be gone, anything higher and I doubt we hear about his pending termination anytime in the few seasons.

This. After going 8-5 and 6-7, I think anyone saying Richt is gone if we don't win the division is mixing their hopes of what we do with the reality of Richt's job security.

I think a regular season 8-4 record with marked improvement in discipline on and off the field definitely gets Richt to the end of his contract.

As fans we SHOULD have our sights set higher... I'm not gonna be content with 8-4, but realistically what needs to be seen out of this team under Richt is improvement and proof that the program is headed back to the top. If we see that, then the support from people who matter is going to be there for Mark Richt.

If we don't see this happen then I fully agree at this point that he will be replaced after another mediocre season.

So I say bring on 2011 and a run at the conference title! Go Dawgs!