CBA negotiations not going well..

Big Bubba

He had his first presser in years today.

Talked a little about the CBA. He is not optimistic that all parties can come to an agreement before the deadline. .

Seems like all of them are chasing their tails.

Said that there's little room when (He didnt give dates) the players union basically sits down and says "Okay, we want more money, greater benefits, and to work less". Man I hope all those greedy b@stards figure this thing out soon.

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

I would encourage all fans (whether their team is in the playoffs or not) to e-mail both sides in this dispute and let them know your feelings. I have and got a response from the NFL, but nothing from the NFLPA.

The players feel like they make the game what it is and they need to be reminded that without the fans, they are just grown men playing a game. Most of them live a life that few can dream of, doing something they loved to do before it became a business to them.

In my e-mail, I told both sides how much I love football and that it is my favorite form of entertainment in the fall and winter. BUT, it is just a form of entertainment and I will not be held hostage. If there is no football next season, I'll just keep the money that usually goes in their pockets and spend it somewhere else.

This was posted on the NFLPA page in December. Kind of puts things in perspective. They are getting ready to live the rough life next year...LOL:

Print Article CBA News

Guest Column by Nick Murphy: Budgeting During a Lockout

{ In his latest guest column, former NFL punter Nick Murphy gives his suggestions on how players can budget during next year's lockout. }

Author: Nick Murphy, Special to NFLPlayers.com Posted: 12/17/2010 Nick Murphy is a former NFL punter. During his NFL career, Murphy spent time on the Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Baltimore Ravens and Kansas City Chiefs. He also played in NFL Europe, where he was named an all-league selection in consecutive seasons. After last playing in 2005, Murphy earned his MBA from Arizona State University and currently works with professional athletes, assisting them in their transition into the business world.

Much has been made of the memo that went out last week urging players to save their final three game checks of the 2010 season in preparation for a lockout. The league has put their spin on it, but the reality is that whether there is a lockout or not—and we all hope there is not—that budgeting for lost income is a good exercise in the first place.

So, how do you budget to live for all of 2011 on only three game checks? Let’s break it down.

I have read reports that say the average NFL salary is approximately $770,000. That equates to a gross game check of $45,294 and gives the average player saving his last three 2010 checks a gross “salary” of $135,882 to live on in a locked-out 2011 season. Since the majority of this money will be taxed as 2010 income (except for Week 17), assuming a 35 percent tax rate, players may only able to stash away $87,750 (if the aforementioned reports are accurate.)

Players will realize additional income in 2011 from their 2010 tax return, potential appearances, etc., but for the sake of this exercise, let’s stick to $87,750 and be conservative. That gives the average player $7,312.50 per month to live on. Start subtracting a mortgage, car payments, food, child care and other bills from that amount, and you’ll quickly begin to realize that the time to cut back spending is TODAY.

Two Critical Areas to Address When Income Is Reduced:

Cut Back or Eliminate Unnecessary Spending

Vacations, jewelry, new cars, excessive dining out and other unnecessary activities need to be cut out or highly scaled back. Players, in general, tend to live above their means, and this would be a good time to practice living BELOW their means.

Focus on Finding Opportunities to Earn Additional Income

I think that players should seek out paid appearances, put on a sports camp, work with local businesses, etc. The downtime a lockout provides can be a great opportunity for players to increase their brand, become more active in their local business community and strategize how to make money when their careers come to an end. Remember, the average career of a player in the NFL spans just 3.5 years.

Other Tips:

Pay off or pay down high interest debt today

Nothing is a bigger waste of hard-earned money than interest payments.

Look to lower interest rates on homes and/or cars

One of the factors banks look at when considering to refinance a loan is current income. In the case of a lockout, it’s better for them to see 2010 income rather than 2011 income.

Save your tax return

Without the performance check coming this offseason (which the owners eliminated for 2010 when they opted out of the CBA), tax returns may be the only significant amount coming in during 2011.

If players have a business of any kind, form an entity: LLC, S-Corp, etc.

The tax advantages are huge. Speak with a CPA or financial advisor soon if there is involvement in any income-generating activity outside the game.

Final Thoughts:

We all hope that there isn’t a lockout and that the game we all love continues to flourish and grow. Whether or not players are forced to live without an NFL salary in 2011, I think they should analyze the tips in this article and begin to implement them into their normal behavior. Imagine how much further ahead one can be five years from now if he lives below his means and makes smart investments in his future with or without a $770,000 salary next season.

Thank you. As you can see we want to talk about the playoff season at hand. Like I said WFW has no problem addressing this after a brief SB celebration! ;)

:) If a miracle occurs and that actually happens... the Falcons winning the Sb. Do you think anyone outside of Falcon nation would care? If there is no football in '11, no one will be talking about Ryan or the Falcons, everyone will be talking about the CBA, , how greedy the players and the owners are. As fans of the NFL...... As football fans, we are in this together. Playoffs or no playoffs (in my case) ;)

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

:) If a miracle occurs and that actually happens... the Falcons winning the Sb. Do you think anyone outside of Falcon nation would care? If there is no football in '11, no one will be talking about Ryan or the Falcons, everyone will be talking about the CBA, , how greedy the players and the owners are. As fans of the NFL...... As football fans, we are in this together. Playoffs or no playoffs (in my case) ;)

While some fans would disagree, I think a team like Carolina has less to worry about. Fans up there know that a competitive team is a few years away and sitting one of them out is not going to hurt their feelings too bad. I would have loved for there to have been a lockout in 2007..LOL.

Regardless of how the Falcons do in the playoffs, they have had an awesome year and if there is a lockout, the team may miss at least one season that should have been a Superbowl contending team. Worst case scenario would have the team being totally replaced with all new players in 2012.

I don't think most of the fans here want to think about that, but it may be attractive to Panther fans.