Mike Smith goes over the Falcons’ bye week plan

Statick

9:33 am January 4, 2011, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons coach Mike Smith met with the media on Monday and went over a slew of things.

The most important was that he denoted some area of concern for the No. 1 seeded team on the NFC.

Smith said that he was still concerned with the run defense, turnovers and special teams after reviewing the film of the Panthers’ win.

The run defense gave up 60 yards on a reverse. Carolina’s reverse looked similar to the one that Philadelphia used twice to score long touchdowns in their in their 31-17 victory over the Falcons.

Teams have hurt the Falcons with mis-direction plays this season.

Running back Michael Turner had a fumble for the second consecutive game.

“One of the big keys to our success has been keeping control of the football,” Smith said. “It was a good play where they stripped the football. But we have to make sure that we are securing it.”

Smith said the special teams have played well over the last eight games of the seasons, but he still listed them as a concern.

Smith also gave the bye week schedule for the team:

“We had a number of guys in lifting weights today,” Smith said. “It was a day off. I haven’t gotten the number, but I’ve seen a lot of faces in here this morning.

“We will come back on Wednesday and our team will meet with Director of Athletic Performance Jeff Fish and our Athletic Performance Department. We will have a workout in the weight room and on the field.

“Then on Thursday and Friday we will have two practices. Those practices will be no game planning. We will spend the time working on the Atlanta Falcons not only on the field, but in the classroom and the film room. . .

“We’ll take Saturday and Sunday off, we’ll come back on Monday. With the Saturday game, Monday will be a weight lifting and a walk through day, Tuesday will be off and then we’ll be right into a regular Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday routine.”

Smith also noted that while the Falcons don’t have a long injury report, they have several players that need to rest bumps and bruises.

Mike Smith = Businessman. Period. :D

Apparently the players are too if they are in there on a day off.

One of the things that really is a nice thing is that Smitty is never satisfied. We finished as the best team in the NFC and he will have them in there this week working on fundamentals. I think it is an excellent way to combat diva-ness. We have seen our share of divas in the past.

9:33 am January 4, 2011, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons coach Mike Smith met with the media on Monday and went over a slew of things.

The most important was that he denoted some area of concern for the No. 1 seeded team on the NFC.

Smith said that he was still concerned with the run defense, turnovers and special teams after reviewing the film of the Panthers’ win.

The run defense gave up 60 yards on a reverse. Carolina’s reverse looked similar to the one that Philadelphia used twice to score long touchdowns in their in their 31-17 victory over the Falcons.

Teams have hurt the Falcons with mis-direction plays this season.

Running back Michael Turner had a fumble for the second consecutive game.

“One of the big keys to our success has been keeping control of the football,” Smith said. “It was a good play where they stripped the football. But we have to make sure that we are securing it.”

Smith said the special teams have played well over the last eight games of the seasons, but he still listed them as a concern.

Smith also gave the bye week schedule for the team:

We had a number of guys in lifting weights today,” Smith said. “It was a day off. I haven’t gotten the number, but I’ve seen a lot of faces in here this morning.

“We will come back on Wednesday and our team will meet with Director of Athletic Performance Jeff Fish and our Athletic Performance Department. We will have a workout in the weight room and on the field.

“Then on Thursday and Friday we will have two practices. Those practices will be no game planning. We will spend the time working on the Atlanta Falcons not only on the field, but in the classroom and the film room. . .

“We’ll take Saturday and Sunday off, we’ll come back on Monday. With the Saturday game, Monday will be a weight lifting and a walk through day, Tuesday will be off and then we’ll be right into a regular Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday routine.”

Smith also noted that while the Falcons don’t have a long injury report, they have several players that need to rest bumps and bruises.

Good stuff, Statick!!

I'm especially thrilled to see players lifting weights and maintaining proper conditioning during their off days within an "off week". 2 of my biggest concerns with the bye week our players have earned (1 of which is being addressed) are CONDITIONING and overall SHARPNESS when they take the field against our next opponent.

I have ALL the confidence in Coach Smith and the rest of the coaching staff in making SURE our players are PREPARED for the playoffs, but reading this has enhanced it even more! ;)

Good stuff, Statick!!

I'm especially thrilled to see players lifting weights and maintaining proper conditioning during their off days within an "off week". 2 of my biggest concerns with the bye week our players have earned (1 of which is being addressed) are CONDITIONING and overall SHARPNESS when they take the field against our next opponent.

I have ALL the confidence in Coach Smith and the rest of the coaching staff in making SURE our players are PREPARED for the playoffs, but reading this has enhanced it even more! ;)

Yeah, Smitty is DA MAN. B)