Anybody Else Get This Email From Goodell Today?

With one of the most exciting regular seasons now completed and the playoffs about to begin, let me first thank you and all NFL fans for your incredible support. Many fans have been asking me where we stand on signing a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union. Let me update you and be clear at the outset:

I know we can and will reach an agreement.

My goal as Commissioner now is to help our teams and players find a solution that is fair to everyone and ensures that football becomes more popular, accessible, and fun. We want the next decade to be the best yet for our fans, and I’m ready to work day and night to make that happen.

We've come a long way. Compare where we are today with 10 years ago. From player accountability to player safety, more and better television coverage, upgrading the in-stadium experience, innovations like the RedZone channel, the Draft in prime time and playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, we are focused on doing what’s best for the players, teams, and fans. My priority is and always will be the game and the fans who love our game.

The NFL is great because fans care deeply about it. Economic conditions, however, have changed dramatically inside and outside the NFL since 2006 when we negotiated the last CBA. A 10 percent unemployment rate hurts us all. Fans have limited budgets and rightly want the most for their money. I get it.

Yes, NFL players deserve to be paid well. Unfortunately, economic realities are forcing everyone to make tough choices and the NFL is no different.

These are not easy negotiations, but the outcome can be positive. If both sides give a little, everyone, including fans, will get a lot and the game will improve through innovation.

Even in difficult economic times, a new CBA presents us with the opportunity to secure the future of our game. You may ask how will the NFL look under this vision?

A significant change would be to resolve fan complaints about preseason by modifying our 20-game format. Fans tell us they don’t like the quality of the preseason games, and we’re listening. An enhanced season of 18 regular season and two preseason games would not add a single game for the players collectively, but would give fans more meaningful, high-quality football.

Our emphasis on player health and safety is absolutely essential to the future of our game. We are strictly enforcing rules that protect players from unnecessarily dangerous play, especially involving hits to the head. We are changing the “play through it” culture to a “player-first” culture to ensure that if a player has a head injury, he doesn’t play again until his health is certain. We are also addressing the potential wear-and-tear on players in the way they train in-season and off-season.

It’s not just the health of players that concerns us. We must ensure the health of the league. That includes a new system that properly compensates proven veterans and retired players by shifting some of the outrageous sums paid to many unproven rookies. Earlier this year, Sports Illustrated published a list of the 50 highest-paid American athletes that included five 2009 NFL rookies. Every other athlete on the list was a proven veteran. In 2009, NFL clubs contracted $1.2 billion to 256 drafted rookies with $585 million guaranteed before they had stepped on an NFL field.

Don’t get me wrong: top draft choices will continue to be highly paid. All we’re asking for is a return to common sense in paying our rookies. Other leagues have done this and we can too.

These improvements and more will lead to better football, plain and simple. A forward looking CBA that is fair to players and clubs will lead to a great future for the NFL and our fans.

My job is to represent the game — the fans, teams, players, coaches and business partners. Protecting the integrity of the game and ensuring it thrives is a responsibility I take very seriously.

This is about more than a labor agreement. It’s about the future of the NFL. We have to improve and will be relentless in our quest. The commitment to our fans is to make the NFL experience even better in the years ahead. With a responsible CBA, we will fulfill that vision.

Happy New Year and enjoy the playoffs.

– Roger Goodell

Roger Goodell is a tool. I'm not saying I'm a fan of the players Union either, but this whole CB issue is leaving me a little jaded. There is way to much money in football for either side to not have put the effort to get this resolved sooner. I have a decent understanding of most of the issues and it really boils down to greed on both parties and really is a slap in the face to the fans who are the ones who have to foot the bill. Not just in tickets but in the billions in merchandise, TV advertisements, concessions, parking, etc... I want to be intertained by football and not by two sides arguing over a few percentage points of a multi-billion dollar industry. The players have a justifiable point about playing 18 regular season games. It will diminish the quality of the sport. Tell you what Roger, want to make things fair? Keep 16 regular season games play two preseason games, extend manditory camp two weeks and only charge the fans for one preseason game. When you do that cut the players pay by four games, impliment a rookie cap and increase the payout to the players pension. There you go. The owners make more money by still charging the fans for one preseason game and cutting the players salaries by 4 games, the players don't have as many games and get more of a percentage of the whole pie (if you do the math they would get a higher percentage, but a little less money), the players get a better pension and veterans will get more money because unproven rookies will make less and the fans will have to pay for three less meaningless games.

Of course this will never work because people like Jerry Jones isnt happy making 250 million profit on the cowgirls. He could never handle only making 230 million. Why should he. He has America by the balls, what else are we going to watch? Canadian football?

I think 18 regular season games is dumb. Teams would turn over way to fast. Every year you would have teams decimated by injuries. Imagine Turner with 2 more games of rushes. How about Roddies knee. Think it's hurting him now? Abe's groin? Bab's shoulder. Now imagine losing a couple of those guys for a year or more because they were playing a couple of extra games to make the owners (and themselves a few million more dollars). No more regular season games. Everybody is already a millionair and the fans pay enough now.

Roger Goodell is a tool. I'm not saying I'm a fan of the players Union either, but this whole CB issue is leaving me a little jaded. There is way to much money in football for either side to not have put the effort to get this resolved sooner. I have a decent understanding of most of the issues and it really boils down to greed on both parties and really is a slap in the face to the fans who are the ones who have to foot the bill. Not just in tickets but in the billions in merchandise, TV advertisements, concessions, parking, etc... I want to be intertained by football and not by two sides arguing over a few percentage points of a multi-billion dollar industry. The players have a justifiable point about playing 18 regular season games. It will diminish the quality of the sport. Tell you what Roger, want to make things fair? Keep 16 regular season games play two preseason games, extend manditory camp two weeks and only charge the fans for one preseason game. When you do that cut the players pay by four games, impliment a rookie cap and increase the payout to the players pension. There you go. The owners make more money by still charging the fans for one preseason game and cutting the players salaries by 4 games, the players don't have as many games and get more of a percentage of the whole pie (if you do the math they would get a higher percentage, but a little less money), the players get a better pension and veterans will get more money because unproven rookies will make less and the fans will have to pay for three less meaningless games.Of course this will never work because people like Jerry Jones isnt happy making 250 million profit on the cowgirls. He could never handle only making 230 million. Why should he. He has America by the balls, what else are we going to watch? Canadian football?I think 18 regular season games is dumb. Teams would turn over way to fast. Every year you would have teams decimated by injuries. Imagine Turner with 2 more games of rushes. How about Roddies knee. Think it's hurting him now? Abe's groin? Bab's shoulder. Now imagine losing a couple of those guys for a year or more because they were playing a couple of extra games to make the owners (and themselves a few million more dollars). No more regular season games. Everybody is already a millionair and the fans pay enough now.

I usually tend to lean toward the players on most issues. I'm going with the league on the main issues in this CBA.

18 games - all for it. Get rid of two of those wasted preseason games. As a fan I absolutely hate paying full price for these practice games. I would like more football. Cut down on off season practices, add a bye or add more roster spots and get her done.

Rookie Pay Scale - definitely needs to get redone. What a waste of money. There have been so many rooks that have ripped off NFL teams and hamstrung team salary caps. This needs to get fixed. Lower guaranteed salaries, incentive laden rookie deals or a developmental league.

Playoff seeding - this one wasn't mentioned but the league needs to change the playoff seeding procedures. SEA in the playoffs at 7-9? TB and NYG cleaning out lockers? Unbelievable. Gotta fix this. I don't care if it's a trend or not it should never happen.

I think 18 regular season games is dumb. Teams would turn over way to fast. Every year you would have teams decimated by injuries. Imagine Turner with 2 more games of rushes. How about Roddies knee. Think it's hurting him now? Abe's groin? Bab's shoulder. Now imagine losing a couple of those guys for a year or more because they were playing a couple of extra games to make the owners (and themselves a few million more dollars). No more regular season games. Everybody is already a millionair and the fans pay enough now.

I have to agree taking away 2 pre season games doesn't help. The starters barely even play in the pre season games. So it doesn't help taking out 2 pre season games. The season would be to long and too many injuries.

Edited by JHav

If you are going to an 18 game season let's pay the players 50% of the two extra games plus a triple indemnity for injuries plus a 20% increase in their retirement.

Don't make the players play longer and risk career ending injuries to fatten the NFL's and the owners pockets!

The ones who have the most to lose should gain the most!

who thinks the pro bowl being before the superbowl is a good idea???? i sure don't. and didn't like when it changed. we have seven guys voted in. so we make the superbowl, and those guys don't get to play because they're getting ready for the biggest game of the year.

personally like the idea of the 18 game season, provided there's another bye AND more players on the roster AND active...and yeah, take care of some long term insurance issues.

I'd also like to see some more funding going toward the healthcare of the players who are retired, esp the older ones who played before the days of these outrageous contracts...maybe some of the revenues from the extra two games, and the player fines could go there? something needs to be done though

ROGER GOODELL IS THE BIGGEST IDIOT EVER TO RUN THE NFL, AND HE WILL RUN IT INTO THE GROUND IF GIVEN THE CHANCE.

I HATE everything he has done/proposed, from the 18 game season to the week before SB pro bowl to the insistance that the NFL play a reg season game in Europe... F*@ING Everything he has done has ruined my game experience, and I am a TWENTY-SOMETHING YEAR FAN of the NFL.

BADDELL NEEDS TO GO!!! YOU NEED TO GO NOW!!! BEFORE YOU F*&@ SOMETHING ELSE UP!! YOU HAVE F#*@ED UP THE PRO BOWL, YOU HAVE F#@&*ED UP THE REGULAR SEASON, AND YOU HAVE F*@ED UP THE CBA NEGOTIATIONS. I F%*#ING HATE YOU AS COMISSIONER!!

How's that for how I really feel?

Edited by Falconcheff

ROGER GOODELL IS THE BIGGEST IDIOT EVER TO RUN THE NFL, AND HE WILL RUN IT INTO THE GROUND IF GIVEN THE CHANCE.

I HATE everything he has done/proposed, from the 18 game season to the week before SB pro bowl to the insistance that the NFL play a reg season game in Europe... F*@ING Everything he has done has ruined my game experience, and I am a TWENTY-SOMETHING YEAR FAN of the NFL.

BADDELL NEEDS TO GO!!! YOU NEED TO GO NOW!!! BEFORE YOU F*&@ SOMETHING ELSE UP!! YOU HAVE F#*@ED UP THE PRO BOWL, YOU HAVE F#@&*ED UP THE REGULAR SEASON, AND YOU HAVE F*@ED UP THE CBA NEGOTIATIONS. I F%*#ING HATE YOU AS COMISSIONER!!

How's that for how I really feel?

+1) ......biggest fkng hypocrite in the world ..he is sooooooo concerned about player safety, but wants to play 2 more regular season games ..... what BS ......

Guest AtlWhite84

So many records are going to be broken with the 18 game season that they're going to be meaningless.

16 games is absolutely perfect, there is zero reason to move to an 18 game season other than revenue. More concussions and players on IR this year than in the history of the NFL, and we want to add 2 MORE games to the season?

Wow, talk about greed.

I got that and posted it in Pure Football. I had written to both sides and have not heard from the NFLPA yet.

I must be a tool because I want more games ie longer season---give the players more money or what ever they are asking for

Kind of a silly disagreement when everyone is getting rich except the people buying tickets---hard to sympathise with anyone but the average fan

+1) ......biggest fkng hypocrite in the world ..he is sooooooo concerned about player safety, but wants to play 2 more regular season games ..... what BS ......

+1 to this. I actually want an 18 game regular season, but you can't talk about player safety being a top priority in one sentence, and this in another one. That's just garbage. If player safety is really the top priority, there are quite a few rules that need to be changed first (bye bye forward progress).

Roger Goodell is a tool. I'm not saying I'm a fan of the players Union either, but this whole CB issue is leaving me a little jaded. There is way to much money in football for either side to not have put the effort to get this resolved sooner. I have a decent understanding of most of the issues and it really boils down to greed on both parties and really is a slap in the face to the fans who are the ones who have to foot the bill. Not just in tickets but in the billions in merchandise, TV advertisements, concessions, parking, etc... I want to be intertained by football and not by two sides arguing over a few percentage points of a multi-billion dollar industry. The players have a justifiable point about playing 18 regular season games. It will diminish the quality of the sport. Tell you what Roger, want to make things fair? Keep 16 regular season games play two preseason games, extend manditory camp two weeks and only charge the fans for one preseason game. When you do that cut the players pay by four games, impliment a rookie cap and increase the payout to the players pension. There you go. The owners make more money by still charging the fans for one preseason game and cutting the players salaries by 4 games, the players don't have as many games and get more of a percentage of the whole pie (if you do the math they would get a higher percentage, but a little less money), the players get a better pension and veterans will get more money because unproven rookies will make less and the fans will have to pay for three less meaningless games.

Of course this will never work because people like Jerry Jones isnt happy making 250 million profit on the cowgirls. He could never handle only making 230 million. Why should he. He has America by the balls, what else are we going to watch? Canadian football?

Well you get a +1 from me friend. I do not buy this whole "owners dont make enough money" thing for a second. That is the only reason they want to add games.

I have a real love for the game of football, so you would think adding more games would be just the thing right? Wrong. These players get in the equivalent of a car crash 40 times or more in 3 hours, 16 times a year. That is insane. The argument of "just give them more money" just shows a lack of compassion.

I'm really against 18 game seasons. For one your marquee players will likely get injured more often. It's already nearly impossible for runningbacks to go 2-3 years in a row without injuries.

And you might as well throw every single record out of the window because the first set of teams and players in the new deal would break every single season record.

Playoff seeding - this one wasn't mentioned but the league needs to change the playoff seeding procedures. SEA in the playoffs at 7-9? TB and NYG cleaning out lockers? Unbelievable. Gotta fix this. I don't care if it's a trend or not it should never happen.

So we should just let the top 6 teams in? What is the point of divisions if we do it that way? You win your division, you go to the playoffs. Its the way its always been, and the way it should be.

I say this because, what happens if you have a really tough division, where all 4 teams are competitive, and the winner ends up 9-7. That team won most games against the rest of the league, but dropped some in their super competitive division. You think the team in a cupcake division that goes 10-6 should go in, while the tough team in the tough division that goes 9-7 should stay home? When in the playoffs that 9-7 team would probably go further than the 10-6 team that played in an inferior division.

Tampa and NY had their chances to get in, they didnt. Everyone knows what it takes to get in at the start of the season. If you dont make it, good luck to ya, see ya next year.

Edited by blackredfellow

I'm really against 18 game seasons. For one your marquee players will likely get injured more often. It's already nearly impossible for runningbacks to go 2-3 years in a row without injuries.

And you might as well throw every single record out of the window because the first set of teams and players in the new deal would break every single season record.

It's a classic case of "it aint broke". ;)

It is the fans that dictate two preseason games be turned into regular season games. No one wants to pay regular season prices for an exhibition game and they don't. People just don't go to the games and that is why they want to change two of them to regular season games. If they increase the roster enough to allow teams to make substitutions and keep people healthy throughout the season, I am all for it. This would also give a lot more kids a chance to play in the NFL. I believe that every year, many players who would have been great in the NFL if given the chance never get a chance.

I have to side with the owners on the cap for rookies. How many players on the Falcons team alone have demanded big contracts coming out of college and then never lived up to the hype? This would free up cap space for veteran players who would be a factor. As a Falcon fan, these contracts have hurt our team many seasons.

So we should just let the top 6 teams in? What is the point of divisions if we do it that way? You win your division, you go to the playoffs. Its the way its always been, and the way it should be.I say this because, what happens if you have a really tough division, where all 4 teams are competitive, and the winner ends up 9-7. That team won most games against the rest of the league, but dropped some in their super competitive division. You think the team in a cupcake division that goes 10-6 should go in, while the tough team in the tough division that goes 9-7 should stay home? When in the playoffs that 9-7 team would probably go further than the 10-6 team that played in an inferior division.Tampa and NY had their chances to get in, they didnt. Everyone knows what it takes to get in at the start of the season. If you dont make it, good luck to ya, see ya next year.

You're right that wouldn't be optimum but it would dam sure prevent a sorry as team like the freakin SeaHags from going to the playoffs with a losing record, in a sorry division, while teams like TB and NYG sit at home by the fire.

NO should be playing TB or NYG this weekend, not SEA. That would be more entertaining and more fair.

Look, this has been an issue with the owners for years and usually is a topic of discussion at the owner's meetings. In fact if I'm not mistaken the owners voted 18-14 to change it the last time it was discussed. It is anticipated that it will be a hot topic at this year's meeting. Expect that count to go up this year. They only need 24 votes to change it.

There should be a way to implement this.

So we should just let the top 6 teams in? What is the point of divisions if we do it that way? You win your division, you go to the playoffs. Its the way its always been, and the way it should be.I say this because, what happens if you have a really tough division, where all 4 teams are competitive, and the winner ends up 9-7. That team won most games against the rest of the league, but dropped some in their super competitive division. You think the team in a cupcake division that goes 10-6 should go in, while the tough team in the tough division that goes 9-7 should stay home? When in the playoffs that 9-7 team would probably go further than the 10-6 team that played in an inferior division.Tampa and NY had their chances to get in, they didnt. Everyone knows what it takes to get in at the start of the season. If you dont make it, good luck to ya, see ya next year.

By the way this very opinion supports the need for change. TB and NYG played in much tougher divisions this year and still won 10 games. Three more than the sorry as SeaHags. Yet neither gets a post season game.

On top of that NO played in a tough division and won 11 games and has to go on the road and play a losing team from a sorry division when they should get a home game against NYG. Which game do you think has more entertainment value? NO@SEA or NYG@NO? Arghhh!

You're right that wouldn't be optimum but it would dam sure prevent a sorry as team like the freakin SeaHags from going to the playoffs with a losing record, in a sorry division, while teams like TB and NYG sit at home by the fire.

NO should be playing TB or NYG this weekend, not SEA. That would be more entertaining and more fair.

Look, this has been an issue with the owners for years and usually is a topic of discussion at the owner's meetings. In fact if I'm not mistaken the owners voted 18-14 to change it the last time it was discussed. It is anticipated that it will be a hot topic at this year's meeting. Expect that count to go up this year. They only need 24 votes to change it.

There should be a way to implement this.

I agree that it's not particularly fair that the hawks get to host a playoff game at 7-9, and I do think that wild card teams with better records should get to host the game. But it goes back to what I said before. All teams know what they need to do to make it. Win your division or get a wild card. If the Giants dont dump their pants against Philly they make the playoffs. Everyone has their fair shot at a wild card if they cannot wrap up their division.

If we do away with division champs going to the playoffs, do we still keep the divisions? What would be the point then? It would no longer be necessary for teams to play 3 other teams twice, so teams would face 15 other random teams once. We would only need AFC, and NFC. If that were the case, either TB or NY would still have not made it this year.

Would having 16 teams battling for the top 6 spots make more sense? Maybe. I just like the current set up is all. If we faced 15 other random teams, it could be years before we play the Saints again. Do you really want that? :P

By the way this very opinion supports the need for change. TB and NYG played in much tougher divisions this year and still won 10 games. Three more than the sorry as SeaHags. Yet neither gets a post season game.

On top of that NO played in a tough division and won 11 games and has to go on the road and play a losing team from a sorry division when they should get a home game against NYG. Which game do you think has more entertainment value? NO@SEA or NYG@NO? Arghhh!

That wasnt really my argument. Im saying, what if there is a team that goes 9-7 in a division that is really tough and competitive, where all 4 teams are quality teams, and they do NOT get to go to the playoffs because some other team goes 10-6 in a division where they may not be that good of a team, but the other division teams are really bad.