I guess now we now why Dowtin was held out of Bowl

ChuyDawg

From AJC

Georgia football player Marcus Dowtin knocked a man unconscious in a Maryland bar fight last May, according to the police report of a second-degree assault case that has since been resolved.

At a Dec. 21 hearing in Worcester County (Md.) district court, Dowtin's case was placed on stet docket, placing it on hold until the court is satisfied that stipulations placed on Dowtin have been met. Those stipulations were not specified. According to Ocean City, Md., police, which charged Dowtin, the case has been resolved to the victim's satisfaction.

He is the 12th Georgia player to face criminal charges since the beginning of 2010.

The case came to light after reporters began looking into Dowtin's absence from the Bulldogs' Liberty Bowl loss Dec. 31. Dowtin, a backup linebacker who was fourth on the team in tackles, did not play, though that decision was apparently unrelated to the case. UGA spokesman Claude Felton said that coach Mark Richt was not aware of the incident until Monday and was gathering information.

According to the report, the fight occurred May 29 at a bar in Ocean City, Md., about a 140-mile drive from Dowtin's hometown of Clinton, Md. Dowtin was seen on the bar's security video striking a man with a closed fist to the side of the head. The blow knocked the man unconscious. After falling to the floor, he also bled from his right ear.

The man's friends told police that the altercation began when Dowtin grabbed the wrist of a woman who was with the victim's group at Seacrets Bar. When confronted, Dowtin was told to not touch the woman and a fight ensued. The responding officer reported that the victim, Jonathan Shephard, later told her that he suffered a concussion from the fight.

Dowtin told a detective on the scene that he did not mean to hit anyone and that he was trying to pull friends away from the confrontation.

I know you stated something about his attitude, just thought I'd throw this bit of information out there. What do you think happens to Dowtin?

i have no idea, but there was no arrest and he didn't even have to show up for court. his attitude is an issue, but every team has a few players who have some attitude problem. i know belin has worked with him a lot on that. at most imo it will be internal run for the next 3 months every morning til you puke.

i have no idea, but there was no arrest and he didn't even have to show up for court. his attitude is an issue, but every team has a few players who have some attitude problem. i know belin has worked with him a lot on that. at most imo it will be internal run for the next 3 months every morning til you puke.

Haha if that were to happen then I think you won't see Dowtin here next year as he probably would seek a transfer..

The article mentions that Richt was not aware of the incident and was gathering information. If Dowtin did keep this from CMR, I really think he's done at UGA, especially with his other issues and our effort to change the culture and enforce discipline.

Do the no-talent hack wannabes at that worthless rag have nothing better to do than dig up dirt to sling at the school that is better than there little precious on North Ave in every sport? :rolleyes:

Tech doesn't have a quarter of the fanbase of UGA. That's why UGA will always get most of the media attention. Good or bad.

The article mentions that Richt was not aware of the incident and was gathering information. If Dowtin did keep this from CMR, I really think he's done at UGA, especially with his other issues and our effort to change the culture and enforce discipline.

no he isn't done at uga.. there was no reason to tell cmr this.. no charges were filed then nor was he arrested.. he was home in maryland and there was an incident. there was a report created and that was it. he didn't even have to show up for it at all. cmr is being publicly nice by saying he is thinking punishment. the description of this by the ajc is ridiculous.

no he isn't done at uga.. there was no reason to tell cmr this.. no charges were filed then nor was he arrested.. he was home in maryland and there was an incident. there was a report created and that was it. he didn't even have to show up for it at all. cmr is being publicly nice by saying he is thinking punishment. the description of this by the ajc is ridiculous.

I certainly hope you are right. Overreaction does not help discipline either and we can use him.

Tech doesn't have a quarter of the fanbase of UGA. That's why UGA will always get most of the media attention. Good or bad.

Fanbase size has nothing to do with it, unless you consider the AJC's Howard Stern techniques of trying to keep people interested by saying exactly what they don't want to hear (which in no way means it is factual or truth). They did the same crap with the Falcons forever and still do. When's the last time the AJC ran a positive story about UGA football? They probably have a TMZ crew stalking and scheming up ways to make the program look bad.

You just posted an article in another thread that said GT is in better shape than UGA despite having the same record and losing to UGA; simply because UGA didn't blow them out and Tech lost games because they turned the ball over a lot. :blink: :blink: :blink:

The AJC has repeatedly made their opinion of UGA clear. About a year ago, I deleted their website from my favorites list and I haven't been back. I'll never spend another cent on their paper either. No reason to support a local paper that takes every opportunity to damage UGA's reputation.

Fanbase size has nothing to do with it, unless you consider the AJC's Howard Stern techniques of trying to keep people interested by saying exactly what they don't want to hear (which in no way means it is factual or truth). They did the same crap with the Falcons forever and still do. When's the last time the AJC ran a positive story about UGA football? They probably have a TMZ crew stalking and scheming up ways to make the program look bad.

You just posted an article in another thread that said GT is in better shape than UGA despite having the same record and losing to UGA; simply because UGA didn't blow them out and Tech lost games because they turned the ball over a lot. :blink: :blink: :blink:

It's all about expectations. UGA will almost always be expected to be better than Tech. The fact is that Richt needs a very good season to keep his job. The expectations for Paul Johnson aren't quite as high.

The AJC isn't going to treat the two programs equally, because the two programs aren't equal.

Edited by Gritzblitz 2.0

The AJC has repeatedly made their opinion of UGA clear. About a year ago, I deleted their website from my favorites list and I haven't been back. I'll never spend another cent on their paper either. No reason to support a local paper that takes every opportunity to damage UGA's reputation.

oh it's clear the ajc has decided to attack the wrong school since we have the larger subscriber base and yes it has hurt them. i know personally hundreds of dawg fans who have cancelled their subscriptions due to the ajc and how it attacks our university whenever they can even making crap up as real news when it isn't and it's clear why if you know anything about the ajc and who runs it.

I saw that thread and decided not to enter. I'm glad I didn't based on what you just said the article is about. I've read so much bull about my Dawgs that I've decided I'm going to stay away from reading others silly opinions (not referring to the Dawgs fans on this site, mainly the AJC and other sites) and just stick to real news that takes place.

I saw that thread and decided not to enter. I'm glad I didn't based on what you just said the article is about. I've read so much bull about my Dawgs that I've decided I'm going to stay away from reading others silly opinions (not referring to the Dawgs fans on this site, mainly the AJC and other sites) and just stick to real news that takes place.

yeah it's a pretty bad article.. extremely flawed, biased, and a clear agenda of driven hate against uga.. you might as well read a georgia tech fan forum and get as credible info on uga.. lol in fact the ajc is more of a georgia tech fan forum and about as credible..

It's all about expectations. UGA will almost always be expected to be better than Tech. The fact is that Richt needs a very good season to keep his job. The expectations for Paul Johnson aren't quite as high.

The AJC isn't going to treat the two programs equally, because the two programs aren't equal.

It's not just expectations. UGA IS better than Tech, but the AJC constantly pushes out crap trying to convince people to believe otherwise. GT gets beaten by a bad UGA team and physically dominated by Iowa as ACC champs, does absolutely nothing this year, yet the AJC hacks would have us believe they're in great shape to contend? That's called bias and bad journalism.

The AJC has made their position to not cover the two schools fairly. UGA gets smeared, GT gets apologetic pats on the back.

It's not just expectations. UGA IS better than Tech, but the AJC constantly pushes out crap trying to convince people to believe otherwise. GT gets beaten by a bad UGA team and physically dominated by Iowa as ACC champs, does absolutely nothing this year, yet the AJC hacks would have us believe they're in great shape to contend? That's called bias and bad journalism.

The AJC has made their position to not cover the two schools fairly. UGA gets smeared, GT gets apologetic pats on the back.

reminds me of bob davie: i am soo proud of georgia tech and how they played against air force.. they tried really hard. lol i am surprised there wasn't an article in the ajc saying we are proud of our own at the ajc.. the georgia tech yellow jackets for trying real hard. lol

UGA SHOULD be better, thus they get the higher expectations. That's why they are treated more harshly for a 6-7 record than GT.

You can't have it both ways. UGA is the top program in the state. When they stink, they are going to catch most of the brunt of the media attention. That's just how it goes.

I certainly hope you are right. Overreaction does not help discipline either and we can use him.

A court in Ocean City, Md., won't press forward with assault charges against Georgia linebacker Marcus Dowtin in connection with a fight in May. no charges, no arrest, nothing. as i said before it's the ajc doing their usual trashing uga and making nothing into front page news. btw the cmr stuff was made up by someone who claimed from a site to be covering it, but instead never talked to richt. cmr is out of town.

UGA SHOULD be better, thus they get the higher expectations. That's why they are treated more harshly for a 6-7 record than GT.

You can't have it both ways. UGA is the top program in the state. When they stink, they are going to catch most of the brunt of the media attention. That's just how it goes.

I don't expect the AJC to fluff UGA's balls. Sports journalists SHOULD be harsh when the sports teams underachieve and have problems. But there is a difference between being harsh and holding people's feet to the fire and what the AJC does. They don't call for better results from UGA... they accost the program at every stop of the way simply because they aren't Georgia Tech.

For you to even suggest that UGA is more deserving of published criticism than GT after this season is totally laughable... GT just won their conference and played in a BCS bowl with an 11-2 record last season while UGA finished 7-5.

Guest AtlWhite84

Hey remember when a couple Gator players got arrested and months went by before anyone heard about it and then everyone on this board freaked out about how the Gators and the Gainesville Sun were trying to cover things up?

Allow me to take this time to type:

ZOMG THIS HAPPENED IN MAY AND WE'RE JUST NOW HEARING ABOUT!! ATROCIOUS! UNBELIEVABLE!! DISGUSTING!! thugs.

Hey remember when a couple Gator players got arrested and months went by before anyone heard about it and then everyone on this board freaked out about how the Gators and the Gainesville Sun were trying to cover things up?

Allow me to take this time to type:

ZOMG THIS HAPPENED IN MAY AND WE'RE JUST NOW HEARING ABOUT!! ATROCIOUS! UNBELIEVABLE!! DISGUSTING!! thugs.

Except no one got arrested.

So that means a crime wasn't committed and subsequently covered up by Dowtin and/or UGA?

How was it covered up by UGA if UGA didn't even know about it? Obviously Dowtin didn't tell anyone it happened because he handled what was legally required of him. He wasn't arrested, charges weren't even pressed and he didn't have to be at any hearing.

AJC just decided to trash dig a non-story to make UGA look bad again.

Edited by Carter